Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Cost of stripping an old steel frame?
  • sp
    Free Member

Looking for advice on cost and methods of having a old steel frame stripped of its old paint

binners

Cover it in this…

leave for a good while, then attack it with a wire brush. It’ll flake off. Make sure you get yourself big rubber gloves and goggles and stuff for applying it though. Its truly is vile stuff. But it does the trick.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Now, does that also do the job on powder coats?

binners

I’ve not tried it on powder coat matt. I suspect that might require a blasting instead. I used it for stripping an old steel GT frame, and was amazed at how short work it made of the paint. I’ve got some piccies somewhere. I’ll see if i can dig them out

robh

Old Nitromors if you have it, the newer “eco” stuff is about as useful as piss.

For the time, money and effort you’d be best taking it to the local coaters and having it blasted or chemically dipped. Shouldn’t cost more than £20 and saved you the wasted effort of getting Nitromors to do nothing to enamel and it definately wouldn’t shift powder coat.

unovolo
    Free Member

Local shot blasters £15.

Quicker and easier for a steel frame unless its something very special or thin walled that you dont want to risk getting accidentally damaged.

I have done a powdercoated frame with Nitromors,It does take it off but is more labour intensive.

trailmoggy
    Free Member

I wouldn’t trust shot blisters, either take it somewhere who will dipit for you or better still use nitro mors, I’ve done a couple of frames with it, it’s really messy but for some strange reason….. really fun!

sp
    Free Member

Cheers folks I see If I can get it dipped locally otherwise Ill give Nitromores a punt.

Northwind

New Nitromors is rubbish 🙁 barely even melts your skin.

Depends a lot on the frame tbh. My old carrera was unexpectedly bombproof. Other frames, you just need to use a caustic tone and the paint all falls off.

takisawa2

DIY depends on the paint already on there. Some will come away easily, my old Ventana did but some others I’ve tried resist all attempts.

Blasting is really a pretreatment to make the finish uniform & for the new paint to key to. A decent steel frame should never be blasted to remove paint as the tubes are too thin. Around the welds perhaps but it’s very aggressive unless you can find someone using walnut shells, as they are used in car restoration a lot.

cookeaa

What’s the plan once its been stripped?

Are you planning on having it powder coated? If so the coater will probably be able to strip it first.
    If you’re planning to do a DIY rattle can job do you need to strip it fully or could you just rough it up with some wet and dry and spray over that?

sp
    Free Member

Well at first it was going to be a home blow job 🙄 However a mate said he would get it powered coated FOC so long as its stripped 🙂

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

A home what-now?!

This is not something I need worry about [finding a way to strip a steel frame] as My Mk I Blue Pig was barely coated when it arrived!

🙄 Indeed

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Cost of stripping an old steel frame?’ is closed to new replies.