Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • cost of car repairs – insurace content
  • marcus
    Free Member

One for the armchair legal types, (or indeed real ones).
    A member of the public drove his car into a block of concrete left by my company at the side of a private car park we were working in.I know we left said lump of concrete in a daft place, but equally I do wonder how he didn’t see it. Anyway, Ive got a £1000 claim / bill from his insurance company compring £500 for audi to fit an undertray and check / adjust the wheel alignment. The other £500 is for 8 days car hire. The repair work didn’t include any new parts for the steering and the crack in the undertray didint make the vehicle unusable. – Basically, they would have struggled to make the repair bill more expensive had they wanted.
    Ignoring the ‘liability’ issue, I’m keen to know if the insurance company / member of public have an obligation to minimise the cost of repairs to a sensible minimum ? ie. By taking the car to kwick fit the same day to have the alignment checked.

BadlyWiredDog

I’m keen to know if the insurance company / member of public have an obligation to minimise the cost of repairs to a sensible minimum ?

Thats’ not how insurance companies work. It’s one of the reasons that insurance premiums are so high and so many vehicles are written off unnecessarily. Damaged parts get replaced with new OE ones regardless of cost. If the cost exceeds a certain percentage of the car’s pre-accident value, it gets written off as beyond economic repair.

I am not, obviously and expert or a lawyer, just someone who’s recently had to deal with an insurance company… 😐

Nico
    Free Member

£500? An Audi? Bargain!

munrobiker
    Free Member

Someone who hit a static object is trying to claim they aren’t at fault? Good lord.

IHN

Sounds ropey, but I bet you’ll quickly get to the acceptance that it’s ‘only’ £1000, and the time/hassle/legal fees/PL premium hike that would come with contesting it would not make it worthwhile.

Sandwich

Probably requires the Arkell vs Pressdram response.

jairaj

I got hit from behind a few years ago, there was a crack and scuff on the rear bumper but thats about it. Rest of the car was hardly showroom condition so I wasn’t too bothered about it. I asked for a mechanic to just double check it was just cosmetic damage to try and keep costs down.

The insurance company ignored my requests and replaced the whole of the rear bumper and some other bits and bobs. I asked if it was really necessary and asked to see the mechanic’s report. They said they didn’t bother checking. bumper was damaged so they put on a new one, simples.

In my experience it seems they don’t bother reducing the costs I guess because I wasn’t at fault and the other party would have to pay for it. I imagine if it was my fault they would be trying to reduce costs.

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

Sounds like a very strange one.

Surprised that its £500 to reattach an undertray and check alignment and that it took 8 days. Do you have a copy of Audi’s invoice?

The problem here more likely lies with Audi, not the insurer. Insurance companies may be sharp, heartless ***stards, but they don;t just lie, so the invoice will be for real. Its much more likely to be Audi ripping the pee out of the insurance company, because, well…they can.

mattyfez

Wouldnt it be an argument between thier insurance company and your liability insurers?

But I agree, driving into a static concrete block…there must be some liability on the part of the driver

marcus
    Free Member

See I’m torn between ignoring it and hoping the insurance company loose interest for 1K, paying it and move on, fighting it on priciple

marcus
    Free Member

I have a copy of audi invoice and hire car invoice. I can live with audi costs, even if high. I can’t accept that they took the car off the road for 8 days.

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

I assume they will argue that the Audi garage in question’s workshop had an 8 day due or the under tray was on back order?

marcus
    Free Member

Moe – Perhaps but a crack in the undertray didint make the vehicle unusable in the slightest and there must be numerous garages in nottingham that can check / adjust wheel alignment.

bigyim
    Free Member

Cracking in the undertray at 70mph on the motorway may lead to it ripping off on the motorway. May not seem like much till you hit 60mph or 70mph

jambalaya
    Free Member

You are free to dispute the amount. 8 days car hire can be got for £100-150. You can offer them a settlement “without prejudice” of say £500

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

Cracking in the undertray at 70mph on the motorway may lead to it ripping off on the motorway. May not seem like much till you hit 60mph or 70mph

What he said

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘cost of car repairs – insurace content’ is closed to new replies.