Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Cost of adding disc mounts to a steel frame?
  • avdave2

After another lovely winter of off road commuting I’d love to ditch the v brakes on my steel framed rigid bike and get discs fitted. I was just looking at a ball park figure, I’ll also have to allow around £260 to get the Rohloff converted so I’m just wondering whether a conversion or a new frame would be the best option. A 29 scandal might just give me the perfect winter bike and the only additional costs would be a new rear rim and spokes.

Thanks

asterix
    Free Member

I would look for a new frame. I’m no expert at welding but the disk mounts have to be very precisely alligned

nedrapier

http://www.daveyatescycles.co.uk/custom_bike_frames-Prices-52.php

Don’t know if you’ve got anyone nearer (if you’re posting the frame anyway, it doesn’t really matter) but I think the prices are what you can epect from a decent framebuilder.

Just had my frame back from him: disc mount, guides swapped, canti bosses off, respray and I’m very happy indeed with the quality of the work and the paint.

avdave2

Thanks nedrapier that gives me a guide. I’m in Brighton so I guess Enigma would be a good option.

nedrapier

No worries. Whether it’s worth it over a new frame depends how special the frame is. I could have got very nice new frame with what I spent on my Dekerf – all the additional hose/cable guide swaps and braze-on removals add up, and then I chose some fancy paint.

I could have saved a wedge by drilling the guides myself, leaving the canti bosses on and getting it powder coated somewhere else. But I love the frame and thought it was worth spending to have it looking good rather than just being functional.

Nezbo
    Free Member

I know I guy who had one of these, and it seemed to work quite well. Should be ok for commuting etc…

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/accessories/product/review-brake-therapy-disc-brake-conversion-kit-09-35228

Not to sure how strong they are… But if you can find one it may save a lot of money , time and mucking up your frame if it goes wrong 🙂

avdave2

It’s a nice frame in 853 but I do rather like the idea of a rigid 29er and at 200 the scandal looks hard to beat and would be easy to run with the Rohloff. Ive been running this bike as a 69er and really like the improvement in comfort. Fitting a slackset would allow me to keep my 440mm pace forks i reckon and being short I want to keep the front as low as i can. I’d then still have a nice frame crying out for me to build a single speed. Looks like the answer as always is get another bike 🙂

bencooper
    Free Member

I would look for a new frame. I’m no expert at welding but the disk mounts have to be very precisely alligned

Us framebuilding types have special jigs to get them straight 😉

asterix
    Free Member

Hi ben – good, glad to hear it. Obviously it isn’t beyond the wit of man, but my LBS was pretty negative about it when I asked last year

nedrapier

I wonder how your LBS imagines they appear on frames that have them from new?

asterix
    Free Member

no idea – but they told me it was almost impossible to retro fit them. perhaps they wanted me to buy a new bike;-) I didnt

haston
    Free Member

If you’re in Brighton, try Jon at Chickens Frame Emporium. You can contact him on his website, but best off ringing his number. He’s a nice guy, he learnt to weld at Enigma, and now makes his own frames on a farm in Brighton. He quoted me a very reasonable price for adding a disc mount to an old 853 frame, and can help you get it painted if you need to as well. Its worth going to see him just to see some of his frames, which are drool worthy, and he does some flashy looking disc mounts too, if you want a bit of a flourish.

andyl
    Free Member

I’ve got an argos price list somewhere but they might have the prices on their website. Wont be cheap though!

avdave2

Thanks haston, if I do manage to persuade myself out of a new frame and going to 29″ wheels at both ends then I’ll give him a call.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Cost of adding disc mounts to a steel frame?’ is closed to new replies.