Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Cost for the below work
  • pc2017
    Free Member

Hi guys,

Just rang my LBS to quote me for a job and thought it was a bit on the high side, what do you think is reasonable for the following on a road bike, the parts are being supplied by me even the cables so its just labour:

Fit groupset (cassette is already on, BB needs fitting)
    Fit brakes (basically just mount the calipers as the shifters & brakes are one unit)
    Fit bar tape

Wheels & tyres are already done, saddle and post in the frame and bars/stem together, its basically a rolling chassis at the moment.

binners

20 Bensons and a packet of Hob Nobs

nickjb
    Free Member

I would expect a high price for fitting supplied parts. Partly due to a few unknowns on whether everything will fit, partly liability if something doesn’t work and partly them just not liking that sort of thing

sandwicheater

Hmm, depends. How dreamy are your eyes and should they be dreamy, how long can i gaze into them?

Drac

Fit groupset (cassette is already on, BB needs fitting)

And the rest.

Fit brakes (basically just mount the calipers as the shifters & brakes are one unit)

Only the levers more like.

You’re simplifying everything there’s more to it than that and they will be checking the previous work to make sure it’s safe. I’m not sure on the price but don’t expect it to be cheap as they mechanic needs to make a wage and shop a profit.

scotroutes

£150.

Do you want them to ensure it’s roadworthy too?

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Hmm…. If you are too lazy to do those little jobs yourself then a couple of hundred seems fair.

All apart from fitting bar tape. That is a job I never do.

pc2017
    Free Member

I understand its not a cheap £20 job but looking for a ball park figure.

Everything supplied fits the bike. I also understand there is more to a groupset than a BB, I was just stating that needed fitting along with everything else.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

What bike is it?

What groupset?

Do you need the steerer cutting?

Did you torque the BB in?

I’d say 100 quid easily without knowing those details. It may go up depending on the answers!

coomber
    Free Member

I’d say £80-£100 for that and then cables etc. on top. My LBS prefer people not to have made a start as it takes them just as long to check things are right.

You’ve fitted a cassette and put brifters on. That’s not going to make any real difference in price than if you had passed it over as well.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

parts are being supplied by me even the cables so its just labour

Tourist rates, then.

joebristol

Don’t bike shops barge per hour generally?

No idea what an hourly rate is for them – maybe between £30-£50?

If so to install the full groupset and brakes including cutting cables and outlets to fit and setting all that up has got to be a good few hours work. BB may need to be faced too so that’s more time / more involved then initially expected.

Could very easily make it to £100 or more I’d imagine – although I don’t have much experience of bike shop costs.

scotroutes

Come on then OP – what did they quote you?

coomber
    Free Member

To clarify, that’s to put BB in, chainset on, chain on/sort chainline, cable up, fit brakes, set brakes up, bar tape on, minor tweeks. £100 would be decent I think.

P-Jay
    Free Member

About £150 – its a couple of hours work to get it perfect, plus the “CRC Tax” for self-supply parts.

pc2017
    Free Member

Thanks guys, slightly high but in the ball park figure quoted above so I will get it booked in. Just wanted to confirm before hand.

sillysilly
    Free Member

Around £100 for base work +20% contingency for extra spacers / cables etc. What did you actually get quoted?

joemmo
    Free Member

you are missing out on one of the great pleasures of bicycle tinkering, shame on you. 😉

legend
    Free Member

pc2017 – Member
    Everything supplied fits the bike.

They don’t know that, and they’d be daft to simply trust a punter on these things

dovebiker

About 3-4 hours to do it properly…plus I’d undo someone’s earlier work to verify that it’s been done correctly, so I’d still check the wheels, cassette install, headset, gear hanger alignment to make sure it’s safe.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Partly due to a few unknowns on whether everything will fit, partly liability if something doesn’t work and partly them just not liking that sort of thing

This. Brakes can be a pig to set-up well. You don’t describe the state of your bike; if there’s a BB already in there it may be reluctant to move. You may be supplying all the parts, but may be missing the pieces that fix said parts to said frame, or pull said part to make it work. Frame and parts may not even be happily compatible.

You’re paying for all the ‘what-ifs’ that will almost certainly arise.

I design signage for part of my living and work on the premise that everyone is stupid. Similarly I have worked as a mechanic and a guide, and used a similar premise. I have been that stupid person buying car kit and stuff for workmen turning up to do house alterations. However, if you assume that everyone is stupid you can only be pleasantly surprised. And what’s more, if you’re not stupid you may even be pleasantly surprised when it doesn’t cost as much as you thought it would*.

*Gifts of biscuits / cake / beer can also help in this particular instance.

thomthumb
    Free Member

wouldn’t be surprised if its 5-6 hours charged.

don’t know what that costs – I don’t really use the bike shop for maintenance.

phone the next two nearest shops. 3 quotes and you’ll know wheter one is quoting high.

you also have to appreciate that they will be delivering you a full bike – you expect it to be roadworthy – they will have to check your work and give a full PDI.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

*Gifts of biscuits / cake / beer can also help in this particular instance.

Loyalty and regular custom will help more.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Loyalty and regular custom will help more.

Very valid point.

rene59
    Free Member

About 3-4 hours to do it properly

Maybe if it was your first time and you had to read all the instructions first, watch someone else do it to be sure, then practice for a bit.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

As a pro mechanic if I couldn’t do that in under an hour I’d get my arse kicked. Maybe extra if it was internal cables with no in situ guides.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Cost for the below work’ is closed to new replies.