Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Cost aside Sram XX1/X01 or 10s for new build?
  • Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

After all our stuff getting nicked the other week I’m in the position of having to rebuild some bikes.

I’m after a light build as the frame it’s going on is a Scott Spark 900SL.

I’ve always had 10s and run a single NW 34 or 36t ring with an 11-36 Cassette, don’t really struggle with peddling those gears other than the very odd day out in the hills, The bike will mainly be used for race duties.

I had 10s before to keep it compatible with the other bikes in our fleet, but that’s not an issue since everything worth riding got nicked at the same time and I have no spares anymore!

So…. at the mo CRC are running their Easter promo on Sram, X01 is hardly anymore expensive than X0 with an XX cassette. Is it worth future proofing and going 11s or sticking with what I know and keeping 10s. 10s will be lighter I reckon and cheap cassettes can be used to save wear on the light race one.

Can’t make a decision! although it’s a nice decision to have to make!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I will be going 1×11 as soon as funds allow 🙂
    The bigger range is much bigger than you had with a big increase at both ends. It should give you plenty of bail out and more. It also seems to be going on the bike of every racer out here.

Will you not get a better deal with the 1×11 built on the bike?
    This is the build I can see

The Spark 900 SL is a 29″ wheeled HMX carbon fiber frame built with Super Light (SL) components. Big Wheels, Lightweight.

Frame: SCOTT Spark 29 Carbon HMX NET
    Fork: Rock Shox SID 29 World Cup RLT3 Air, 100mm
    Shock: SCOTT DT Nude2 / 3 modes Lockout-Traction-Descent
    Group set: SRAM XX1
    Brakes: Avid XX World Cup
    Parts: Syncros FL1.0 Carbon
    Wheels: Syncros XR 1.0 Carbon 29”

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

No, I’m getting a very good deal on a frame set only, already have forks, wheels and brakes so only need the group now.

The question is though, are the racers using out of choice, i.e.. are they paying for it, are they sheep and follow trend or what everyone else is doing or is it the step change for the future?

Like I say, this is my dilemma. Do I NEED the extra range, as I’ve always managed before, lowest ring I’ve ever needed was a 32t with an 11-36 cassette or would I use it if I had it at my disposal.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Given the choices available now. Although I have an X01 groupset, I wouldn’t bother with buying it. I don’t need the 42T, I don’t particularly like SRAM shifters, and I don’t like the fact I have to run a specific freehub, which caused cross comparability issues between bikes.

I’d rather go back to a Shimano 1×10 setup, but maybe have a Hope 40T sprocket spare if I know there is a killer climbing day/race where it could benefit.

The 10T bottom cog is nearly irrelevant to me on the X01, in 6 months of racing I’ve used it once, and that was by accident!

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I’m racing 1*10, like you I have a couple of chainrings that I can switch to match the course.

11-36 is more than enough for racing and days out on all but the most extreme hills, (in which case my bike is most likely more unsuitable than the actual gearing).

Would I go 11 speed, maybe if it wasn’t to cost prohibitive, but it’s certainly not on my list of things to upgrade anytime soon.

cookeaa

I suppose the main advantages current 1×10 speed has is potentially lower cost and that you can run it with a few different cassette options (11-36, 11-34, 11-32) cassette, or should you need to you can fit 40/42t range extender for your expected activities…

With XX1 / X01 you’ve not really got many Cassette options other than that 10-42, so if the increments on that don’t suit you, then you might be a bit knackered, but you’ll probably adjust…

Its worth noting XTR 1×11 should be along soon enough with an 11-40t option, not as wide a range as SRAM, but probably closer shifting increments, that doesn’t really help you now does it, but it could well serve to add a little competition to the market and you might see SRAM or shimano filtering more versions of 1×11 wide range further down the range or even releasing a wider range 1×10 cassette option to steal the march at the SLX/X7 end of the market… who knows…

There’s never a “good time” to be buying a drive-train, there’s always something new and wonderful on the horizon apparently, Perhaps go XT or X9 1×10 for now, but with a view to be changing to something posher and 11 speed (Probably including the rear hub/wheel) within a Year as the new toys hit the market, but having not laid out too much on your final 1×10 set-up…

njee20
    Free Member

Like many I wasn’t going to ‘upgrade’ to 11 speed on my existing bike, but fitted it when starting afresh.

I like it, gone for a 32t ring, but actually finding I’m not ever really using the 42 (although only raced at Wasing and Codham, which are hardly testing!), so may well go up. Shifts well, the range is good, I do notice the jumps are quite large, but not in a bad way, just very rare you need a double shift.

My concern at the moment would be what may happen a few years down the line – Shimano appear to be using their own 11 speed freehub, I wonder if we may see a backlash and one ‘standard’ will fall by the wayside. Hoping it’s not XD as they’ve got a lot of buy in, but we’ll have to see. Would be a pain to be left with a load of wheels that you have to change to Shimano.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

That’s my thinking Nick. the costs to buy everything aren’t much different if I go 10 or 11 as X01 on offer is as good a price as XX 10s.

I need it to be compatible with Hope Hubs too, so I think Shimano 11s will be a no goer when it’s released because of that.

At the moment, I’m thinking X01 with a 34t ring will see me right in most circumstances gearing wise.

njee20
    Free Member

Absolutely, you’re clearly much stronger than me, and I can’t see a 34 being a struggle for all but the hilliest courses – thinking Margam of old!

If they do an X.9 level cassette making it a bit more viable for training wheels etc (and seems daft to assume they won’t) then it’d be perfect.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

34t was a bit grippy 6th time up the hill at Ludlow for the Nationals course for me, Paul O is confident though, he’s made half a dozen 38t retainer rings to use with his 11-36 cassette!

Candodavid
    Free Member

XX1 under £700 on bIke 24 at the moment

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Ah! Good spot, but no 175mm crank arms. X01 works out around 560 with Easter discount.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Depends on Q factor

njee20
    Free Member

34t was a bit grippy 6th time up the hill at Ludlow for the Nationals course for me, Paul O is confident though, he’s made half a dozen 38t retainer rings to use with his 11-36 cassette!

Aye but he’s an animal!

I got mine from Starbike, was cheaper to buy the bits than their group set bundle, a whisker under £700 if I recall.

charliemort

I worked out crc currently £505 for X01 if you didn’t get the cranks and just got a Hope retainer chain ring and stuck that on what you’ve got. That included £60 ish quid for an XD driver

which is a little bit tempting……….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Cost aside Sram XX1/X01 or 10s for new build?’ is closed to new replies.