• This topic has 14 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by m0rk.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Cost + £100?
  • Kryton57

Am I being thick, but what does that mean, from a car dealer?

Just received a text from my local BMW dealer, I can have any stock car for “Cost + £100” in the next 48hrs?

?

somouk
    Free Member

Any car they have in stock for their cost value plus £100 admin fee.

scotroutes

“Cost” will be what the dealer paid for it

carlos
    Free Member

Normally means –

The item is marked up @ £1000 and they will add £100. You pay £1100.

weeksy

It won’t, but he’ll tell you it was. Lol

theotherjonv

“Cost” will be what the dealer say they paid for it

deadkenny
    Free Member

Cost is what they claim they are paying cost for, and then £100 on top for them.

Largely BS. Just trying to make out you’re getting a bargain by you thinking they’re not making much profit out of it, or that “cost” is the trade cost from supplier.

Simply look around and get a sniff of the real trade prices, or if it’s second hand just compare prices to get an idea of how genuine the price really is.

Kryton57

Oh right. So even if I saw the car I wanted on thier website, they are likely to reduce the price, albeit they make a profit?

There’s a nice black 2.0i 3 series touring red leather Msport xdrive I wouldn’t mine, would prefer diesel though. £20k, I wonder what it comes down to, if at all…

legend
    Free Member

Just ask for the proof of what they paid. I don’t imagine for a minute they’d actually show you, but it’d be fun to make them squirm for a while

theotherjonv

Setting aside the cynicism of my previous post.

Surely if they’re advertising at cost plus £100 then they’re obliged to disclose what cost is, as that is then a factual number, and if it isn’t cost plus £100 then they’ll be guilty of misrepresenting?

Although i expect there’s all sorts of get outs as well – like cost also includes valeting (at their rate), a check over service (at their rate), administration (at their rate) and so on…….

thomthumb
    Free Member

Just ask for the proof of what they paid.

I vote for this. call them out.

maccruiskeen

Typical dealer markup on a new car is between 5% and 10% apparently – so on a car retailing at £20k that would suggest the markup is in the region of £1500 to £3000 and that ‘cost’ would be somewhere between £17,000 and £18,500. So that should give you an idea of the prices / discounts to expect – if its not in that range then a leg is being pulled somewhere.

tomhoward

+1 ask for the copy of the invoice from their supplier, then call them to verify

poolman
    Free Member

I know the chap who sold me a new car so I asked him how much margin there was, he showed me the actuals…it was about 200 quid on a 15k car. All the money is in people just walking in not knowing anything, finance and servicing.

m0rk
    Free Member

Cost, or cost after volume rebate?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Cost + £100?’ is closed to new replies.