Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Cosmology – "The Big Bang"
  • alexxx
    Free Member

I’ve just watched a Horizon show on iPlayer about “The Big Bang” and a lot of Cosmologist don’t think it happened.. they believe there are states before this… I don’t have a clue but find it all fascinating.. mainly for simplicity of the chicken or egg type scenario…

Anyway – what do you believe and why? and can you point me to some interesting books or videos on all this wonderful geeking.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Try the Bible

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Penny!
    Penny!
    Penny!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TuckerUK
    Free Member

I thought the Big Bang theory had been replaced by the Many Big Bangs theory anyway?

I’m none the wiser, and also find it fascinating.

I can help with the chicken and egg conundrum though, it’s actually very easy. The egg came first. And the egg would have come from a different species of bird. Much like a liger is born to a tiger, and a mule is born to a horse.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I think you need to think outside the universe to understand the big bang(which is a misnomer), as imo there is plenty beyond the universe.

If you look at our universe one common is it all interacts with each other, planets, suns, solar systems, galaxies etc etc. They all break up and and join together over difficult to imagine time frames, all connected by the universal force of gravity..

Personally I imagine universes(I believe there are many) probably work on a similar basis where gravity binds them together and they smash into each other are reform as something different.

Basically the truth of the universes is that they one big recycling machine.

Mind reading about scientists looking at deep space radiation field (edge of the known universe) trying to detect if we are indeed colliding with an other universe.. we don’t know yet as far as i know…

Edit – btw don’t know if that quite explains what I mean, it’s and idea that’s alot more vivid in my own head, difficult to explain!

TuckerUK
    Free Member

..and the exciting thing is, we (mankind) may never know.

As the earth’s climate and atmosphere inevitably changes, mankind (indeed all mammals) will become extinct here, so unless we have found another planet to inhabit before that time…

Which begs the question, how many other advanced lifeforms out there have suffered a similar fate?

seosamh77
    Free Member

TuckerUK – Member

quite a alot i reckon, btw, the human race will end, even if we do find another planet, it would have to be further away from the sun to avoid it going supernova in about 4 billion years, plus it’ll swallow up the earth long before that.

Basically if the human race is to survive for infinity, we better start learning how to sun hop, rather than planet hop.

technology has quite a demand on it there!

alexxx
    Free Member

Where did the first bird come from Tucker? and you are correct I believe the theory of a single big bang is blown well out of the water.. after the horizon show I did a quick google on the lady who is supposed to have the best theory with no “assumed facts” and it came up with a 2006 post on a physics forum where people were slating her for being a bit nutty…

I still haven’t found her theory on it all yet – if anyone has please share?

I wonder what the math would be to calculate the possibility of life in other planets / universes that have managed to avoid the fate of their own universe collapse or sun collapse.

I feel like a kid again – I might have to get an episode of sliders out haha or quantum leap 😀

pomona
    Free Member

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.
    There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

Douglas Adams

Kevevs
    Free Member

I don’t know, but I love Horizon, it’s just great telly the way telly should be! I love stuff like that that presents current mind-boggling theory and lets you think about things, with great images, diagrams and graphs to try to explain stuff I can’t really fit in my head 😛

pingu66
    Free Member

The maths was put forward by the Drake equation relating to the Milky Way not sure about the universe. But if the universe is infinite then there must be an infinite number of civilisations etc.

I find the whole thing fascinating. Never will get my head round it though.

CountZero

stevewhyte – Member
    Try the Bible

Not generally accepted as the definitive textbook on cosmology.
    Unless you prefer myths and legends?

seosamh77
    Free Member

CountZero – Member

don’t go there, these threads always get ruined when they take that route

Kevevs
    Free Member

I wonder if all the matter in the universe could be taken back in time and condensed to a suppermassive point of almost nothingness of incredible density. That’s just a crazy thing to think about! also, did anyone see that docu about Mark Everett (frontman of Eels)- his dad came up with theory of Paralell Universes. I thought that was a brilliant bit of telly. Interesting insight into the life of the kinds of people that think about this stuff. I find it all utterly fascinating, but feel sad cos I’m too thick to really understand it 🙁

Kevevs
    Free Member

bit off topic, but here we go.. really interesting insight to how these people think/live from a sons perspective http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnnA3sgMXCI

maccruiskeen

I imagine universes(I believe there are many)

the ‘uni’ in universe implies ‘one’. if theres more than one universe then surely ‘universe’ is the wrong name for it / them.

I foresee and lengthy and expensive rebranding exercise.

Its maybe reassuring that the ‘Big Bang’ is no longer the defecto beginning of everything. Cultures tend to have creation myths that mirror the apocalypse they fear: A great flood for instance. We’ve believed in a big bang in an era mostly dominated by the threat of mutually assured nuclear destruction. Its heartening that its all a bit passé now.

maccruiskeen

I wonder if all the matter in the universe could be taken back in time and condensed to a suppermassive point of almost nothingness of incredible density. That’s just a crazy thing to think about!

just as crazy is the reverse of that notion – that you and everything around you, no matter how solid you perceive it to be – is mostly nothing – mostly gaps between particles. My mobile phone signal, wifi and radio 4 can pass freely through the 2 ft thick stone walls of my house because they can fit though those gaps.

observe 🙂
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84k206qaVRU[/video]

Kevevs
    Free Member

it’s so counter intuitive to even try to imagine that everything is made up of empty space! but on an atomic scale that’s what’s going on – empty space. so – I can sort of imagine you could squash it all down to an infinitely dense thing in reverse. I suppose?! It’s the human thinking that gets in the way I think when it gets to a point, but what can you do? I love that people keep trying to figure it all out.

cheese@4p

Why can’t all those clever scientist folk on the telly stop looking up into the sky and get together to sort out some real world issues such as nice energy supplies and feeding the masses. Once they have done that they can all get back in their cars and be interviewed driving up a mountain in Chile to sit in an observatory.
    Horizon now makes me angry.

Markie
    Free Member

Here’s a video I like about astronomical time scales and the end of universes…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdvWrI_oQjY[/video]

Why can’t all those clever scientist folk on the telly stop looking up into the sky and get together to sort out some real world issues such as nice energy supplies and feeding the masses. Once they have done that they can all get back in their cars and be interviewed driving up a mountain in Chile to sit in an observatory.
    Horizon now makes me angry.

😀

maccruiskeen

Why can’t all those clever scientist folk on the telly stop looking up into the sky and get together to sort out some real world issues such as nice energy supplies and feeding the masses

Clever folk have already done all that – doesn’t always work out as planned

Take for instance the whole Haber–Bosch process process – and its role in feeding the masses. Thats why we now have ever more masses to feed. We have billions more mouths to feed because scientific discoveries like this have saved billions of lives. One third of the worlds poplution is alive pretty much because of this process,

FuzzyWuzzy

I thought the common gloss-over explanation was time didn’t exist before the big bang so you don’t need to worry about what came before it.

Bimbler
    Free Member

They are the biggest questions that science can possibly ask: where did everything in our universe come from? How did it all begin? For nearly a hundred years, we thought we had the answer: a big bang some 14 billion years ago.

But now some scientists believe that was not really the beginning. Our universe may have had a life before this violent moment of creation.

Horizon takes the ultimate trip into the unknown to explore a dizzying world of cosmic bounces, rips and multiple universes, and finds out what happened before the big bang. (R)

Here’s the link – watched this again last week, mind boggling stuff.

Klunk
    Free Member

I think we have as much chance of actually knowing the true nature of the universe and it’s creation as an ant has of deriving the outline of Scotland from the breeze on it’s antenna.

maccruiskeen

I think we have as much chance of actually knowing the true nature of the universe and it’s creation as an ant has of deriving the outline of Scotland from the breeze on it’s antenna.

Ants get research grants for that? Thats ridiculous!

thomasrosicky
    Free Member

hey, i just want to check if i can say something here ? sorry to trouble everyone

molgrips
    Free Member

Where did the first bird come from Tucker?

If you subscribe to evolution, then the first bird was created from genetic mutations. These mutations happen when an organism’s DNA is created from its parent or parents. So the first bird was born to.. dinosaur parents I suppose.

Why can’t all those clever scientist folk on the telly stop looking up into the sky and get together to sort out some real world issues such as nice energy supplies and feeding the masses

Cos it’s much much harder and much much more expensive – people are involved. And in any case, they are working on it, there just isn’t enough funding for it. There is already enough money to go round, we just can’t distribute it because we are greedy.

Cougar

Try the Bible

Day 1: create light.

Day 4: create light source.

I don’t think so, do you?

Cougar

hey, i just want to check if i can say something here ? sorry to trouble everyone

No trouble, you can say anything you like. We reserve the right to mock you relentlessly afterwards, though. (-:

joolsburger
    Free Member

It’s obvious that god did it – It’s also obvious he doesn’t like gays or masturbation, or women.

seosamh77
    Free Member

maccruiskeen – Member

I imagine universes(I believe there are many)

the ‘uni’ in universe implies ‘one’. if theres more than one universe then surely ‘universe’ is the wrong name for it / them.
    He owns 15 unicycles. Is there only one unicycle on the planet? The ‘s’ at the end indicates that there can be many.

My own personal universe. Can there only be one personal universe?

Shall I go on?

Junkyard
    Free Member

A better example would be a unicycle with two wheels which would be a bicycle, three wheels a tricycle should I go on?

Can there only be one personal universe?

How many wheels can a unicycle have?
    Shall I go on 😉

stevomcd
    Free Member

Junkyard – You’ve heard the term multiverse I imagine?

What are there multiples of in a multiverse? 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

Multiverses obviously.
    There are multiple wheels on a bicycle but we still dont have a unicycle 😉

tinribz
    Free Member

I thought the common gloss-over explanation was time didn’t exist before the big bang so you don’t need to worry about what came before it.

That’s what I heard from that Hawkins guy, and the fact there was no time yet confirmed that there could not have been a creator.

I wonder what the math would be to calculate the possibility of life in other planets / universes that have managed to avoid the fate of their own universe collapse or sun collapse.

Well we already know the Milky Way has 200–400 billion stars and as many planets with an estimated 10 billion of those orbiting in the habitable zone of their parent stars. And there are hundreds of billions of galaxies that we can see. They zoomed hubble in on the tinyest darkest spot they could find and left the aperture open for a like a month not so long ago. The pictures came back of… loads more galaxies.

Am not convinced of an infinite number, seems a big jump that just because you can’t see them all there must be an infinite number.

As for the odds of other sentient life, we need more data. The trouble is we know ours took 4 billion years but until we find life on at least 1 more place we have no way of knowing if that if amount of time is the average (in which case the place will be teeming with civilisations). Or life could be a freak occurrence that usually takes 1000 billion years.

starfanglednutter
    Free Member

just as crazy is the reverse of that notion – that you and everything around you, no matter how solid you perceive it to be – is mostly nothing – mostly gaps between particles.

I’m afraid even the concept of ‘nothing’ is now in question, as Prof. Jim explained in this excellent two-parter, if you can find a recording somewhere!

maccruiskeen

I’m afraid even the concept of ‘nothing’ is now in question, as Prof. Jim explained in this excellent two-parter, if you can find a recording somewhere!

I didn’t mean ‘nothing’ in quite that sense. I mean in the sense that I’ve got nothing in my pocket*

* so, it appears I am indeed pleased to meet you

EDIT please don’t tazer me

seosamh77
    Free Member

I actually watched this last night, glad they are now questioning that we came out of nothing, never really bought that at all!

Squidlord
    Free Member

I saw this show as well. We still don’t know where stuff came from. To say there was another universe before just begs the question of how did this prior universe come to be? It doesn’t seem to solve much, IMO.

CountZero

So the first bird was born to.. dinosaur parents I suppose.

It’s pretty much accepted that birds are true descendants of dinosaurs.
    There’s significant evidence in certain fossils to show that a fair number of therapods were feathered;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feathered_dinosaur

The realization that dinosaurs are closely related to birds raised the obvious possibility of feathered dinosaurs. Fossils of Archaeopteryx include well-preserved feathers, but it was not until the mid-1990s that clearly non-avialan dinosaur fossils were discovered with preserved feathers. Since then, more than twenty genera of dinosaurs, mostly theropods, have been discovered to have been feathered. Most fossils are from the Yixian formation in China. The fossil feathers of one specimen, Shuvuuia deserti, have tested positive for beta-keratin, the main protein in bird feathers, in immunological tests.[1]

It wouldn’t take much for forearms to extend and fingerbones to stretch to assist in gliding as a defence mechanism. There are a number of mammals that glide, and there are true fliers, like bats.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Cosmology – "The Big Bang"’ is closed to new replies.