Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Corsica…
  • Who’s been?

It’s taken my fancy. Any good/bad points, things to do/avoid etc etc?

Cheers

jerseychaz

We went in May 2014. Its brilliant! Stayed in the motorhome on a campsite just outside Calvi, beach was 5 minutes through the dunes, town 15 minutes along the beach. The interior is interestingly mountainous with some lovely villages. Good cycling (road) and some proper expedition style off road. We caught the ferry from Livorno to Bastia and went home Calvi/Nice. There’s an airport at Calvi and one in the South. They produce a “unique” local wine which is an acquired taste. The local beer brewed with Chestnuts is wonderful. Friendly people ( they hate the French) ace weather (+30 for two weeks) good food etc. etc. Not particularly cheap though.

tiggs121
    Free Member

Walked the GR 20 a few years ago..I’d recommend at least a couple of sections.
    Lovely island…great coastline and beaches. Calvi and Bastis are good places to visit.

bubs

We used to go fairly regularly before children “brightened” our life.
    The train from Ajaccio to Calvi through the mountains (stopping regularly to get animals off of the line) is/was brilliant – I have a feeling that they may have got rid of all of the old trains now though?
    Visit some of the old, mountain villages where feuds ran for hundreds of years between neighbouring villagers.
    Walk the chestnut forests (looking out for particularly large boar) to get into some properly wild mountains.
    Drink lots and lots of Pietra which is the local lovely beer.
    Drink lots and lots of the local Rose wine next to golden sandy beaches under fragrant maritime pines.
    Take the opportunity to pop over to Sardinia for the Italian experience.
    Expensive in comparison to Sardinia though and maybe not quite as welcoming?

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

My wife took me there, as a surprise, for my 50th :D. We stayed up in the hills, with a mountain stream running at the bottom of the garden. Fantastic place!

Stoner
    Free Member

Took the children in August ’14

V V hot.

Had to spend 3hrs of the day lying naked and stationary in the tent between 1 and 4.

Beautiful place though. Awesome geology. Would love to go in May or June and do some long walks on my own.

fr0sty
    Free Member

I spent last summer as a road cycling guide there.

It’s really good!

From a cycling/scenery/mountains perspective…

Central spine has the biggest climbs, generally, up to 1500m (vergio, ski station etc).
    Cape Corse makes for a good day ride but the road N to S gets uncomfortably busy between July and Aug, but can still be ridden.
    East coast is a bit bland tbh, although still fantastic if you HAVE to stay there, climbs up to 800m or so. Likewise the very very south.
    West coast is where it’s at. The coastline is jaw dropping, the sea blue, climbs right up into the central spine and down into Ponte Lecchia are possible.

Its possible to ride in the midday temps mid season (up to 40C) but you need to plan your water stops ahead of time, especially as they start to dry up from July onwards!!

Just go, you’ll love it.

And if you want a guide let me know, I’ll be there again twice this summer.

Let me know if you’ve got any Q’s.

Clink

Futon – any details on where you stayed? Still need somewhere for family hols this summer.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Corsica…’ is closed to new replies.