• This topic has 21 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by shirleyc190-spam.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Corrupted SD card help please…
  • cloudnine
    Free Member

Ive got a 2gb samsung sd card and spent the afternoon taking photos.
    Popped it in a brand new sd card reader on the desktop, copied 2 photos off it to FB and then it froze up. The computer now comes up with an error message asking whether i want to format the card.
    It has a few really nice photos like this..

How do i get the contents off my card ?? Help please..

scaredypants

try back in the camera and connect that to the PC ?

(I am not a SD card guru and irreversible wipeage may result)

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I’d be inclined to try it back in the camera first, as sp says. Do you have another card you can test the reader with?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    euain

Does the SD card have a wee switch to make it read-only? Might be worth sliding it on if so to prevent anything being over written / formatted.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Tried it back in the camera and its asking to format the card. Yes it has a lock switch

DezB
    Free Member

Sorry to tell you – it’s borked. They do that sometimes. You might be able to find someone on the web who’ll recover the data, but if they can, it’ll cost you.

metruscan
    Free Member

Hi. Are you sure the card reader is ok? Had this recently with compact flash cards and a dodgy reader. Caused a lot of heartache…

DezB
    Free Member

He’s tried it in the camera and got the same. How can it be the card reader?

CraigW
    Free Member

You could try using PhotoRec, it might get you something. http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

CountZero

That’s crap luck, it’s the one thing that bothers me about memory cards, and it’s why I never erase and re-use mine, I just copy the latest photos off then put the card away once full.
    It’s the main reason I never use larger than 8Gb cards, even one of those corrupting would lose a couple of thousand photos, having a 16, 32, or 64Gb card crap out when nearly full give me the hives, although, by that time I’d hope that most have been copied onto the computer and backed up.
    It’s possible that the card corrupted after those two photos, there may be nothing else retrievable from the card; that one above is a lovely photo though, and is, in my humble opinion, worth losing the others just to have that one.
    One answer might be to use wifi cards; Transcend do a wifi card, up to 8Gb, I think, which allows the photos to be sent to a phone or pad via a matching app, so there’s less risk of the card corrupting while being read.

verses

A bit of Googling turned up this;

Recover Images from a Damaged SD card

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

We use a piece of Lexmark software to recover the images, formatting the card oddly doesn’t destroy them, pressing the delete button on the camera make them impossible to get back. Weird I know!
    Format the card so you can use it, the attempt the recovery software.
    Can’t promise it’ll work. But if they’ve gone this won’t make that worse if it fails.
    http://www.lexar.com/products/lexar-image-rescue-4-software

cloudnine
    Free Member

Mikey.. thanks!! the lexmark software appears to be extracting the lost files…
    I’ll report back….

cloudnine
    Free Member

Annoyingly need an activation code for the software to complete the recovery.. which you get when you purchase a lexar sd card. Report back thursday..

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Good let me know. It used to be free but a lexar card is possibly a good investment.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

If I have an unopened card at work I’ll send you the code.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Mikey.. I have emailed your stw email.. Thanks

Cougar

Try Recuva.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Code found and sent, hope it works ok?

cliffyc
    Free Member

Hope you recover the data,have wiped an SD card before by hitting reformat key…Doh! 😥

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Format is fine for recovering images. Done it a few time with jobs that got forgotten about in a rush and formatted over. pressing Delete on each individual image however buggers them completely.

tomd
    Free Member

Apparently it’s best to format the SD card in the camera before use to reduce the chance of it getting corrupted. Not sure why, but if you read Ken Rockwell’s popular photography website he always banging on about it.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Corrupted SD card help please…’ is closed to new replies.