Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Corrosion inside fork legs and on IS mount – will I die?
  • PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I bought some second-hand RockShox Revs for the better half’s bike a while back and have just got round to stripping them.

They looked a little beaten up, but felt fine when compressed. On opening them up it was clear that there had been water inside for quite a while as the oil was brown sludge. On cleaning I then found a reasonable amount of surface corrosion inside both legs, but primarily the left (looking at the fork from the top). On closer inspection I also found some paint bubbling around the top of the IS brake mount, but nothing on the leg outer itself.

Now before the high horse riders mount up, I lay no blame with the seller. As he described, there’s some scrapes (as you’d expect on a three year old fork) and he freely admitted he’d never stripped them. He also described the forks feeling fine, and as stated above the forks felt just that when compressed. It’s always a risk buying second hand and I accept that.

What I want to know is will the corrosion prove dangerous? I’m no metallurgist, but I don’t want the leg to snap or the mount to come off halfway down Snowdon. My feeling is that it will be fine in the short to mid-term, but would appreciate other’s thoughts.

Macavity
    Free Member

Just how bad does something need to be before YOU would stop using it?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Thanks.

I think.

😕

ir_bandito
    Free Member

You will die. That is a fact.
    Sadly, so will your other half. Also a fact.
    Whether its related or not to the corrosion in her forks, I couldn’t say.

Find a set of broken, but not corroded Revs.
    Replace the lowers.
    Sorted.

My old RS Indy C’s corroded right through, proper holes and everything. They got bent before they stopped working (although you could argue that they never really worked before…)

In the meantime, keep riding and keep inspecting them, especially around the brake mount.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Corrosion inside fork legs and on IS mount – will I die?’ is closed to new replies.