Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Corrieyairack Pass – on a hardtail?
  • cinnamon_girl

Is it do-able? Obviously walking the hardcore bits but could some of it be ridden on a hardtail?

Thank you so much. 🙂

13thfloormonk

All of it is rideable on a hardtail, in theory. i'm pretty sure Trail_Rat rode all of (twice!).

I ended up walking a couple of the switchbacks, but I had my camping gear (thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it!).

Would recommend doing it from Laggan to Ft Augustus if you have the choice, I think the descent to Ft Augustus would be more fun.

Either go tubeless, fit some fat tyres or take lots of innertubes though, lots of rocks!

epicsteve
    Free Member

Over only ridden over it on a motorbike but I'd have thought a lot/most of it is rideable on a hardtail. Last weekend was the challenge and a lot of folks will have ridden over it (as well as runners and walkers).

This was near the top:

ton

gc, i did it 2 yrs ago on a 80mm forked 29r.
    a bit bumpy coming down the south side but ok………ish 😉

druidh
    Free Member

Err – it's been done on fully rigid bikes before suspension was available….

I'll be doing it on my little Ti hardtail as part of a C2C route. Gonna use some 1.75" Marathon Cross tyres as a compromise for the various track and road surfaces I'll encounter. Hoping to travel fairly light by using bunkhouses instead of camping.

When are you planning on riding it? I doubt I'll manage until September or thereabouts.

cinnamon_girl

Thank you for the replies. I thought starting at Fort Augustus was compulsory!

Are motorbikes allowed on it these days? Very atmospheric pic, typical Scottish sky!

epicsteve
    Free Member

No idea. It was legally a road when I was there though.

cinnamon_girl

ton – 80mm fork? How sore were you afterwards!

druid – what's the C2C route then? Thinking of next year but also looking for an excuse to buy a full suss

druidh
    Free Member

It's been off-limits to motorbikes for several years.

13thfloormonk

Yeah, i've noticed people seem to do it more from Ft Augustus, not sure why.

I'm pretty sure you get more descending off road if you do it from Laggan, which also means more of the climb is on tarmac.

Also, I can't be bothered with steep hairpinny descents when there's a flat-out swoopy option instead 😀

ton

gc, not very…….cos i am tough……. 😉

druidh
    Free Member

CG – I'm planning Fort William to Fort Augustus (along the canal), Corriyairack to Laggan, then some road work to the A9. An old military road, B-road and off-road route to Feshiebridge, then Inshriach Forest to Inverdruie. In to Aviemore and then the Speyside Way to Buckie. Should be 3 days riding and with a railway station at the start and one near the end, add on a couple for travelling. Plenty of accomodation en route too. Not as grand as 13thfloormonks journey, but do-able for mere mortals.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

When I did it (10+ years ago) I was on a 80mm hardtail. From what i remember it was pretty much all rideable (though it could have changed a bit since then).

I remember it being a great ride – would love to do it again.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks again for replies.

druid – just looked at the atlas and that looks a very impressive route. But 3 days? That sounds optimistic and you're leaving your Blur behind!

ton – you have a reputation. 😀

ton

cg, seriously, it is fine.
    ft augustust to laggan we did.
    maybye a mile or so of the descent was walking, where the track had been washed away.

cinnamon_girl

ton – I'm a Southern wuss and a girlie. 🙄

Blackhound

A bunch of us did it last year, mix of FS and hardtail. I was FS and we did Laggan to FA but a hardtail would have been fine. Beautiful ride – if you get the weather…..

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Err – it's been done on fully rigid bikes before suspension was available….

Done it way back in the day on rigid bikes. A mate broke himeslf and his bike on an early ride and got a ride home in a Land Rover 101, when 4x4s were still allowed to use the pass.

Always ridden as an out and back. Last time we rode it from the bunkhouse at Laggan, the extra road miles and hellish weather made it a long day.

It is a great route though.

epicyclo

The Corrieyairack is basically an old road. A hardtail is fine. It's a great ride.

The first time I did it was on a single speed racing bike 40 years or so ago. The last time I did it was on a single speed hardtail. I prefer doing it from the Laggan end. The steep pitches of the zigzags are walking time for me.

Take enough gear in case you are caught out overnight. I have been snowed in near the top in summer.

It's the conditions that can make it hard rather than the terrain.

j_me
    Free Member

what every one else says…no suspension required….provided you can outrun the midges !

trail_rat
    Free Member

an excellent day out … started at 12 from laggan trail centre carpark (because of weather) finished at 7 at the same place

had a whale of a time on my jack jones – photos not the best off my nokia e71 camera got soaked the day before !

looking back down to fort augustus

my weapon of choice

thats the climb up from laggan –

the war room !

trail_rat
    Free Member

btw very little of it is any worse than the pave of the paris roubaix …. some of it be steeper. i suggest thick tires though some of the flints are sharp – killed my brand new maxxis crossmark while climbing! – although seems to be a poor tire for that – its replacement did the same !

Andy

My grandfather rode it and Larig ghu (sp!) in the '30s on a fixie. 😯

Mindyou they were well 'ard back then…. (suspect he walked most of it carrying said bike)

EDIT

cinnamon_girl – Member

Thinking of next year but also looking for an excuse to buy a full suss

Juliana's have come down in price I see 😆

cinnamon_girl

More good pics. 😀

It will only be one way for me and not sure whether I could make it in a day! Lots of research to do, mapping software on its way. Will investigate luggage carrying services, accommodation etc.

Any other 'must do' routes in the vicinity? If I'm travelling this distance, don't want to miss out on anything.

Andy – a fixie? Mad!!

Edit: am drooling over carbon 🙄

aviemoron
    Free Member

Did it several years ago on a Kona Kula with 80mm (ha more like 63) SID's, flat bars, etc, etc and my new wife (just back from honeymoon) her on fully rigid Stumpy: it was October and it snowed! Turned into an epic……. Wife still *remembers* it!!!

donald
    Free Member

The first time I entered the Challenge I only had a rigid so I did it on that. TBH that was a bit tough.

But a hard-tail will be fine. I've done the Challenge 4 or 5 times and never used full sus.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Me at the start (ish)

Mind this was waay back in 1997-8.

(I've still got those legs!)

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Any other 'must do' routes in the vicinity? If I'm travelling this distance, don't want to miss out on anything.

Hunners, have a look at Rothiemurchus and Inshriach, miles of great trails

CraigW
    Free Member

I did it a few years back on a hard tail, towing a rather heavily loaded trailer.
    From what I remember, it was mostly all ridable. Though I was probably not going very fast on some of the downhill bits.
    obligatory photo at the summit:

epicyclo

Andy – Member
    My grandfather rode it and Larig ghu (sp!) in the '30s on a fixie.
    Mindyou they were well 'ard back then…. (suspect he walked most of it carrying said bike)

Nah, I bet he rode it. When I was young the place was full of tough old buggers riding through the mountains on their fixies – usually with a pipe or fag clamped in their mouths. They thought I was soft because I had a freewheel.

Waderider
    Free Member

First few times I did it was on an Orange Clockwork with rigid RC30's. And it seemed a pleasure at the time!

cinnamon_girl

Blimey, there's some real hardcore guys on here. 😯

iain1775
    Free Member

do it quick
    this time next year the area will be full of construction traffic for the new power line for the next 4 years

cinnamon_girl

this time next year the area will be full of construction traffic for the new power line for the next 4 years

Seriously? When do they start?

druidh
    Free Member

Oh aye. On the up-side, mibbe they'll lay in a better surface?(or will they have to lay in a separate road on account of the current one being a "Scheduled Ancient Monument"?)

sweepy
    Free Member

Ive done it in a jeep, on foot and on a hardtail, you'll do it one way in a day no bother. Couple of short pushes but a lovely route.

cinnamon_girl

You mean sanitised? 😯

epicyclo

I'd better put it back on this years list in that case.

Which means in the next couple of weeks…

proteus
    Free Member

btw very little of it is any worse than the pave of the paris roubaix
    Utter pish.

donkeysled

cinnamon girl, good luck with this epic adventure but watch out for those twigs/ leaves on the tracks!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Corrieyairack Pass – on a hardtail?’ is closed to new replies.