Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • corrieyairack pass
  • Chipbutty
    Free Member

Going to do the Corrieyairack pass next month. Anyone got experiance of doing it? What is the best direction? Ft Augustus to Laggan or vice versa? Is it possible to do it both ways in a day? Or better to have a car waiting at one end.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Do it both ways. A great ride, never done it in the dry.

trail_rat
    Free Member

did both ways in an afternoon last thursday – laggan(trail center) to fort augustus and fort augustus to laggan straight after .

fort augustus to laggan is easiest to ride , laggan to fort augustus provides the best downhill (20k)

roughly 80k and 2k of climb

if you search corrieyarrick pass there are photos from my trip

ton

did it from ft augustus to laggan.
    long long climb, long long descent.
    i think it is has good in both directions, and doable both ways in the day…if you set off nice and early.

they do it as a challange event i think.

epicyclo

It is possible to get extreme weather there even in summer, so go prepared.

Probably won't happen, but…

trail_rat
    Free Member

very very true – it snowed when i was up there – on one side of the hill that is — on the other side it was glorious sun shine – thus i just went round the other side of the hut and continued eating 😀

was wholely prepared to spend the night in fort augustus if it went pete tong on me. didnt fancy going up the hill in bad weather – hence why i did it in an afternoon because the morning looked like the whole ride would be a write off …..

cynic-al
    Free Member

Only ever done it out and back. Is big but completely doable.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Do a loop from Spean Bridge, up the Great Glen cycleway to Ft Augustus, over the Corrie, turn right at Melgarve & down Glen Roy & back to Spean Bridge. We did it a few years back. Lonnng day out!

devs
    Free Member

I'm toying with the idea of Ft Augustus to Laggan, do the black and return. There will be more people present than just me and Chipbutty so it is probably too ambitious for everybody but we'll see. 80km and 2k is a beast of a day!

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Did it from Laggan to Ft Augustus a couple of years ago. Really good ride.

Could have done it out and back in reality but it was April and we were expecting some weather so made lift arrangements.

Carried full emergency equipment – it was tee shirt all the way and got sunburnt!

But don't take any chances.

lyons
    Free Member

What is the riding like?

epicyclo

It's the remains of an old military road (built after 1715 Jacobite rebellion). Was used by the Scottish SIx Day Trial (motorcycles) because it was "interesting" on a motorbike, but vehicles are now banned.

You could ride it (carefully) on just about any bike apart from a few short sections. A mountainbike makes it relatively straightforward. It's worthwhile because of the great sweep of landscape, the sense of isolation, and a good day out.

The weather can be completely different on one side to the other.

Good dry weather, it's simply a great ride. Highland special for heroes weather, and you have a major challenge part of which may consist of trying to stay alive. People have died up there – don't know if it has claimed any cyclists though.

If you can ride up the zigzags you're better than average.

The large round rocky boulders section is tricky too – I walk that bit because I don't fancy the risk of injury if I'm on my own.

I hope to be riding it again in the next 2 weeks, so I'll stick some pics up if I do.

Chipbutty
    Free Member

Nice one cheers guys

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘corrieyairack pass’ is closed to new replies.