Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Correct front derailleur for 2014 Trance SX?
  • sodadr
    Free Member

Hi,

My wife wanted to ditch the single ring and install a double and bash on her new unridden Giant Trance SX, so I ordered up what looked to be the correct front derailleur to use with a 3×10 crankset with the big ring removed and her old XT shifters (3×10 direct mount M781).

Today when finishing off installing a dropper on her bike I noticed that the cage of the front derailler, even when installed at the very top position on the direct mount, fouls the chainstay when the rear shock is compressed.

Does anyone know if… I ordered the wrong derailleur? (It certainly looks like I did). I notice the regular Trance which shares the the same frame has an SLX derailleur installed…does this have a smaller/shallower cage?

I’m hoping the fact that it’s an XS frame has nothing to do with it.

sodadr
    Free Member

Ok, in the hope that somebody may have experienced this and have a suggestion…

…this morning I went out and bought a Shimano m786 2×10 front derailleur, which has a smaller cage and is “optimized” for tire and frame clearance. Well regardless of where I position it on the direct mount the trailing edge of the cage still scrapes along the chainstay when the suspension is compressed.

So, can anyone point me in the direction of where I can find out exactly what front derailleur a 2014 Giant Trance size xs is originally specced with?

I’m starting to think this is an issue with running a 3×10 crankset perhaps…is the granny ring too far inboard towards the frame? However it looks like I might have the same issue even if the derailleur was set up for the slightly further out granny ring on a 2×10.

I can try and get some photos posted if it helps.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Correct front derailleur for 2014 Trance SX?’ is closed to new replies.