Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • corporate speak rantette.
  • jojoA1
    Free Member

Work intranet has an announcement about a network 'outage' tomorrow. WTF is wrong with saying it's going to be 'out of action' or 'out of use', or 'unavailable' or something usiing NORMAL words, not some fricking made up shite word made up by unimaginitive geekoids who cant' string a sentence together!!!! Or perhaps they've discovered that the network is gay and are going to tell it's mum and dad!!!

Look, I'm so enraged I put an apostrophe in the wrong place!!!! 😉

uplink
    Free Member

We have solar outages in my line of work

GrahamS

Christ, if "outage" is the worst corporate speak you have to deal with then you're doing well.

At least it was being used correctly.

GrahamS

outage: noun, a period when a power supply or other service is not available.

OED

skidartist
    Free Member

Or perhaps they've discovered that the network is gay and are going to tell it's mum and dad!!!

The network's parents will have to pretend to be surprised

jojoA1
    Free Member

It's not the worst, it's just the highly visible use of it in the first line of the front page of the intranet, so everytime I go there I see it and it grates on me.

And I don't care if it's in the OED, it's a crap word and we have plenty of other ones that are more normal that would suffice and indeed be more meaningful to most people than 'outage'. *shudder*

gravity-slave
    Free Member

The reason for the outage is probably to aid future organic growth by implementizing a new strategic platform, which will require leveraging synergies to keep moving forward.

MrAgreeable

I would use the transitional period to action a trip to the pub.

uplink
    Free Member

You do know it's so that the IT bods can switch it off, count to 10 & then switch it back on again in an attempt to fix a problem none of them can figure out?

jon1973
    Free Member

Isn't 'outage' more IT speak than corporate speak?

trailmonkey

not some fricking made up shite word

😉

Surfr
    Free Member

Oi stop using clever words people. Why say it in 1 explicit word when you san say it in 3 less meaningful ones?

*scratches head*

jojoA1
    Free Member

If I'd put the non made up version, Trailmonkey, it would have been asterisked or is it asterixed?

muddy_bum
    Free Member

What about rantette is that made up? 😉

GrahamS

Google: outage – 5,420,000 results.
    Google: rantette – 10,500 results.

asterisked or is it asterixed?

how about "replaced by a series of star symbols"? 😉

jojoA1
    Free Member

Google: outage – 5,420,000 results.
    Google: rantette – 10,500 results.

So there are more instances of made up IT words on the internet….? Quelle surprise! 😉

juan
    Free Member

how about "replaced by a series of star symbols"?

That would be stared surely 😉

Pook

stared? 😯

GrahamS

asterixed?

F[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_XME7lkZ1BTo/RkaZ22p6K0I/AAAAAAAAAGQ/Y9VtxuDXfcU/s400/Asterix.jpg[/img]k off. 😀

allthepies
    Free Member

"Outage" corporate speak ? You don't know you're born…..

jockhaggis
    Free Member

I think we should 'park' this rantette for the moment as it doesn't look like we are going to square the circle. 😕

juan
    Free Member

put some asterix = asterixed 😉
    put some stars = stared 😉

scruff
    Free Member

One of my old bosses used to say all that corporate made up s**t he was a f*****g purple faced c**t he was.

jojoA1
    Free Member

"Starred", my dear Juan. "Stared" is what you did to the girl's boobies 😉

I know that this is a minor incidence of 'jargonese', but it's so undescriptive. Couldn't they have made up the word "'lullsomeness' in network service" or "'cessativity' in network service".

khegs
    Free Member

Outage is a technical term being used in its proper context, not corporate speak. It is hardly "leverageing synergies to obtain positive outcomes through ongoing blue sky thinking", is it?

Besides it was first used at the turn of last century (1903) so it is hardly a newly minted neologism 😉

stumpy01

Woah….who's driving the laptop during all of this corporate speak.
    I think we need to proceed by picking the low hanging fruit first and then seeing what's left.

Gravity-Slave is clearly winning the corporate speak post count…..that's what meetings at my old place used to sound like!

GrahamS

It's not even particularly unusual:

Google: "outage" on BBC News – 556 results.

So is the real issue is that the "unimaginitive geekoids who cant' string a sentence together" are using perfectly acceptable, not made-up at all, "normal" words, but you'd prefer it if they dumbed down a bit? 😉

jojoA1
    Free Member

It's use on the BBC, doesn't legitimise it in my mind, neologism or not.

I just plain don't like it, so therefore it's not allowed. OK?! 😉

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Seig Heil!

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Gravity-Slave is clearly winning the corporate speak post count

Just make sure the rest of you line your ducks up before you raise the bar and keep our mission and vision on your radar screen and you'll catch up soon!

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

Personally I think you have higher priority Go Dos that impact your score card metrics that should be addressed before spanking outage. 🙂

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘corporate speak rantette.’ is closed to new replies.