Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Corporate cycling provision at its finest: Trinity Square, Gateshead
  • GrahamS

They are just about finished building a massive new shopping centre/mall and mega-Tescotropilis-thing in Gateshead called “Trinity Square”.

And we were all heartened to see that for once they’ve actually made some provision for people arriving by bike, namely lots of shiny bike stands:

Amazing eh? Just the kind of thing we all want to see. Well done.

Just one slight issue:

Oh yes, you’re not actually allowed to cycle!

And if you try then the private security guards show up and tell you to get off your bike. 😯

I jokingly suggested that they should consider installing smoking shelters to enforce the “No Smoking” policy.

But funnily enough it turns out they don’t enforce that one.

In fact, they’ve just finished installing ashtrays everywhere and are now saying they “can’t really tell people off for smoking because of the ashtrays”.

(More here if you are interested)

mattjg
    Free Member

Sign means “no cycling” not “no bikes” I think. Not unreasonable if that’s a pedestrianised public space (is it?).

scotroutes

Aye. Perish the thought you might have to walk a few metres

wwaswas

red bar tape with that frame colour? Are they mad?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Genius.
    Might be worth contacting Trinity Square on the number provided for their list of Principles.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Would you not be somewhat bemused if asked to push your car the last hundred metres to the car park?

scotroutes

Would you not be quite peeved if the bike park was a distance away from the building and neither lit nor patrolled by security – AND THEY CHARGED FOR IT?

GrahamS

When was the last time that you arrived at a shopping centre and had to get out an push your car for the last few hundred metres to a parking space?

(Edit: doh lemonysam has clearly been reading my thoughts again)

GrahamS

Would you not be quite peeved if the bike park was a distance away from the building and neither lit nor patrolled by security

Actually they have a lovely proper secure caged bike parking facility in the multi-storey – which isn’t available to the public.

AND THEY CHARGED FOR IT?

Can’t remember the last time I paid for parking at a shopping mall or supermarket. It’s free at all the ones we go to.

allthepies
    Free Member

There is an offender in that top pic, call the POLIIIIIICEEEE.

(is that a yellow tarbarded security bod in the window reflection en-route to accost the miscreant ?)

mattjg
    Free Member

I think actually the sign is saying “no singlespeeds”, you’ve got a dangler on there so you’re OK.

You’re also forbidden from drinking Black Tower from excessively tall goblets.

I can live with that.

mattjg
    Free Member

(is that a yellow tabarded security bod in the window reflection en-route to accost the miscreant ?)

tabard bloke looking the wrong way

allthepies
    Free Member

That’s one of their tricks 🙂

mattjg
    Free Member

Pretty racks with lots of space for bikes though. Bike thief pick’n’mix!

neilthewheel

I just love the way they demolished one of the ugliest town centres in Britain and replaced it with …. one of the ugliest town centres in Britain!

johnnystorm

Ripe for adding one of CTBM’s “No cycling, no skateboarding, no point living” stickers.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Corporate cycling provision at its finest: Trinity Square, Gateshead’ is closed to new replies.