Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Corner shop , or multiple retailer corner shop
  • binners

Morrisons is a couple of minutes walk away, so that gets the nod for essentials, out of necessity. That and the Tesco’s have seen off anyone else apart from the Local Market on a Saturday, where we tend to stock up for the week

I do miss the local shops I had at the top of our road, living in Whalley Range. The fruit and veg were about half the price of the supermarkets, and miles fresher and better quality. The market does the same job now, but only on a Saturday 🙁

Strangely, the staff in my local Tescos have all been there for a while – some were at the old shop it took over.

My auntie has just got a job with Tesco last week. She says the staff perks are fantastic, and she had an induction with the union rep who says they have a great relationship with the management. Which certainly isn’t the impression you get from the “Spawn of Satan” press reports

julianwilson
    Free Member

Co-op run loooooads of our little corner-shop-sized-shops round here. Since our local post office closed 🙁 they have become my most local shop. I don’t know how well they treat their suppliers (iirc for some things they are as bad as Tesco) but their employees are well looked after, they ‘own’ the business like john lewis/waitrose, and like tesco metro, everything costs the same as it does in the one supermarket they also run round here as opposed to “convenience” spar/londis prices.

I used to be a community nurse and know my way round everywhere here, but I struggle to think of more than a couple of dozen convenience stores in our 250000 population city which don’t have the name of one chain or another over the door nowadays, many that locals still refer to by the surname of the original owner as opposed to “bargain booze on Merafield Road”. Loads of the smallest ones have also closed outright in the last few years

RustySpanner

Would be cornershop, but we don’t have one.
    Tesco/Spa are the nearest.

WTF is an ‘indigenous’ shop?
    Do you check passports?
    Do you demand to see a family tree?
    How many generations do you go back and verify before buying your paper?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Whichever is cheap and convenient, which generally means the local Asda. I’d love to see independent retailers do well but my experience of corner shops is poor quality, poor choice, high prices and surly owners. I gave up on them when the last one I used seemed wholly incapable of saving a Sunday paper for me despite constant polite asking. I’m sure there are good ones out there somewhere, but not near me.

sharkbait
    Free Member

My local village currently has a crappy little [londis] shop exactly as described in projects first post but before the end of the year we’re going to have spanky new Co-Op. Frankly I can’t wait for the Londis to close 😈
    The village already has 2 pubs, a restaurant, a newspaper/mag/sweets/post office, 3 x hair dressers, ladies clothes shop, beauty place, chip shop, little cafe, a small deli and a farm shop selling meat and a few veg.
    Amazingly there has been some opposition to the development but I reckon that the village will be all the better for the Co-Op coming in and it’s smartened up an area that’s been empty for a while.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

Hurray for victimless crimes!

i think he’s just trying to redress the balance in his own little way– tesco rob us, we rob them. Despite all the best efforts they still achieve over 1 Billion profit– since most of their hourly paid workers get tax credits to top up their wages, its not really a surprise .

Jamie
    Free Member

tesco rob us

How so?

binners

Unless you’re a dairy farmer, I can’t see how you can literally claim to have been robbed by Tesco.

Are you a dairy farmer?

However, I think he’s saying that as Tesco won’t pay their staff a living wage, then we effectively subidise their profits through tax credits, housing benefit etc. Which is a fair point. Its a bit rich to say you can’t afford to pay more than minimum wage, then posting profits of only £1.7 billion

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I have a friend who is a professional, earns good money whose hatred of Tescos leads him to shoplift every time he visits he is a bit strange freeloading thief

If he had principles he just wouldn’t shop at tesco

elzorillo
    Free Member

I always consider helping the locals when I shop (by locals I mean me and my family). So I shop at the big supermarkets as they are the cheapest. This allows me more left over to maybe spend at other local establishements. Of course I could shop at our local corner shop where they will smile and say hello, whilst at the same time selling me product of dubious datage at an extortionate price. Not to mention their obvious ignorance of age/working hour restrictions.

Really dont get this hatered of Tescos etc… maybe I’m just not hip 🙄

dabble
    Free Member

I am fortunate enought to have a morribogs 5 minutes walk down t’road. My friend visits a local cornershop that may as well be a shed stuck on a corner wi a genny running his fridge of pop. Its proper good n the dude inside is always chipper.
    I shall visit whichever is most conveninet.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

Tesco are a ruthless corporation,projecting an image that is opposite of their real aims– their prices on some items would make Dick Turpin blush. You may say you have a choice not to shop there, when they have eliminated all opposition its a bit trickier.

I do not like any of the large conglomerate retailers, but there is a ranking system based on smugness,vfm, and other subjective factors– Tesco just happens to be No 1

brakes
    Free Member

within 2 minutes of my house I have two corner shops, a Tesco Express, a Budgens, a Waitrose, three greengrocers, two butchers, a fishmonger, two bakeries (three if you include Greggs), a deli, a newspaper vendor… the list goes on.
    I choose to spread my pennies around them all, apart from Tesco because their produce stinks.

boxxer7
    Free Member

jonba – Member
    We have a sainsbury’s about 200m down the road so normally go there. If they are shut we have these people
    http://www.nisalocally.com/

I go there a reasonable amount as they have really good local produce – bread, milk, cheese, beer etc. and are open early till late most days.
    POSTED 17 HOURS AGO #

Nice thing about http://www.nisalocally.com/ is that all the stores are owned by independents. And the shouldn’t be over priced either, some of the deals are better than the supermarkets.

Tesco don’t make 1.7bn a year for no reason, they have extremely good marketing departments! Big price drop etc it’s just the same type of offers you can find at any other good conveince store.

Supermarkets do have an impressive range though And like it or not they are part of our every day lives and have their place, but they are not as ‘cheap’ as you might think, especially when you factor in the cost of fuel and the amount of food you waste when you buy too much!

philconsequence
    Free Member

tescos for me, its cheaper than the M&S food bit in the garage.

how many people on here have worked for tescos?

brakes
    Free Member

I’ve worked with them and didn’t like their working ethos (not their communicated values)

toby1

Pigface – which fresh ingredient of Coke were you worried about poisoning you 😉

My local shop is ok, good for a pint of milk, has our little post office in too and is always busy with people from around the village!

Also saw a guy returning some out of date Rich teas in there, Rich tea biscuits – surely there is nothing in them to go off? They then went and cleared the shelf of them, so it’s not like they didn’t care just a general mistake. I do shop at Tesco too much though, the the local one is HUGE and you have to drive really as the road there is a pig.

joao3v16
    Free Member

All these quaint people still physically going into a shop. How very 20th Century.

Home delivery is the way to do it.

Save loads of money too as you’re not walking along the aisles going “ooh, that’s nice, we’ll have some of those” and flling your trolley with stuff you never thought of or intended to buy.

konabunny
    Free Member

WTF is an ‘indigenous’ shop?

You know – sells mostly woad. Shelves made of mortarless slate. Overpowering stench of sheepshit. Owners complaining about bloody Angles coming over here, taking their jobs, getting all the best dykes, refusing to speak the language.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

and can i spend my Groats in there ?

RustySpanner

Ah, somewhere with a decent jute box.

Sorry.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

can you buy ergot infected beer, the original LSD ?

totalshell

bit of mis information floating about despite some of the issues being highlighted earlier in the thread. i guess its too easy not to read the content and just skip to the ‘reply’

lets just clarify..

Tesco pay checkout operators about 2 quid an hour more than minimum rate.. they pay more than Marks and John lewis.

Tesco are NOT ripping off dairy farmers they ve been praised by teh NFU for thier attitude and many farmers markets have signs placed by the NFU praising them..

thier not perfect but more people work for tesco than any other business in the country, they pay more out in pensions than any other business in the UK. unlike some of thier uk rivals they are a british company making money employing folk and paying tax ( check if Aldi, Asda Lidl can say the same..)

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Morrisons is 2 mins walk for me & we don’t have a ‘corner shop’ & never have while we’ve lived here. However we’ve got a good little farm shop where you can get top class fruit & veg & a proper grocer who sells all sorts of weird & wonderful things (including about 10 types of bird feed!) but not stuff like milk, bread, sugar etc. We have a Spar for late emergencies as well.

konabunny
    Free Member

more people work for tesco than any other business in the country, they pay more out in pensions than any other business in the UK

That’s just size, not quality.

As for being a British company…you might want to look at their major shareholders: http://www.tescoplc.com/index.asp?pageid=33 (as if it makes a difference anyway – capital is stateless).

OrmanCheep
    Free Member

I have a friend who is a professional, earns good money whose hatred of Tescos leads him to shoplift every time he visits he is a bit strange

Is he called Richard, and married to Judy?
    I was working in the very same Tescos (on the Dairy Isle) when he got nabbed actually. I thought they were a great company to work for. Decent pay (for what the job entails), didn’t abuse breaktimes, good discounts and staff shop. In fact, I’m a big fan.

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Corner shop , or multiple retailer corner shop’ is closed to new replies.