Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Corned beef?
  • binners

I think you’ll find you’re wrong…

😛

TheBrick
    Free Member

Salt beef sandwich. Mmmmm. Was a excellent cheap few places at the north end of brick lane.

TheBrick
    Free Member

+1 on the hasslet. Lovely stuff. I think the op has given a good overview of corn beef based dishes.

Murray

Surely the only foodstuff left than can’t be classed as inspirational and aspirational?

Ladies and gentlemen, may I present

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

then none of you know what corned beef really is.

That’s not corned beef though is it? It’s salt beef. Admittedly in most of the countries in the world (where they get nomenclature wrong) it’s the same thing but in the UK corned beef is bully (bouilli) beef.

Salt beef is to corned beef what gammon is to sausage.

nickc

this thread is one of those times when you get to gaze in slack jawed wonderment at the inner workings of your fellow STWer’s minds, and then recoil, and shudder slightly at the horrors revealed therein.

honeybadgerx

The hairy bikers corned beef recipe is amazing. Dead easy too, mainly involves leaving it in the fridge for a week or two. Roll on multiple corned beef hashave dinners and amazing sandwiches: toasted light rye bread, warm corned beef, melted emmental, sauerkraut and Russian dressing. Nom!

andyha
    Free Member

A quid a slice but McCartney’s corned beef is lovely, too good for a sandwich with brown sauce

redmex
    Free Member

As i was reading this thread and saw the plain loaf i did love a thick heel then the next slice was really good too but the stuff now is rubbish too thinly sliced
    The factory in Kirkcaldy Mothers Pride im sure it was no longer there the smell was to die for although when mixed with the linoleum works aroma on certain days was not so good as Billy Connolly once described accurately as he got off the train

RustySpanner

SaxonRider – Member
    I am afraid that, unless you have grown up in one of the cities of North America with a substantial Jewish population, then none of you know what corned beef really is.

I genuinely envy you.

North Manchester has a huge Jewish and Asian population.

Weekend mornings as a kid in the 70’s would consist of trips to buy bread and pastries in Prestwich from the Jewish bakeries, then a tour of the Asian shops on Cheetham Hill road to buy spices and lamb for our Sunday Lunch.

I live in Burnley now.
    It’s horribly segregated.

I miss Manchester.

trailwagger
    Free Member

I remember the national refusal to eat corned beef in the UK during the Falklands war. Everyone thought the Argies were going to put poison in the tins and bring down the entire country.

I`m surprised anyone still eats it here after that.

RustySpanner

I don’t remember that.

I do remember, even as a United fan, everyone supporting Villa and Ardilles.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Murray

Ah, Pushed Pork as it’s known in Hipster Circles.

trailwagger
    Free Member

I don’t remember that.

Supermarkets refused to stock it and it didn’t return for quite a few years after the war I believe.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Oh, and you may or may not want to know that during that ban on Argie corned beef, it was Brazil that supplied upto 80% of our corned beef.

Brazillian corned beef was banned in Jamaica because they were using rotten meat to produce it!

Enjoy your next corned beef sandwich 😉

slimjim78
    Free Member

I genuinely don’t get the nay-sayers. Have they actually tried the stuff? Lovely salty savoury flavour and a good texture. I like it at room temp as well as ‘fridge-cold’.
    Lashings of brown sauce for me, or piccalilli if feeling posh.

I used to make a student spag-bol using big square chunks of the stuff gently stirred into a herby tomato base sauce, keep heating till the chunks begin to brake down and tuck in.
    Divine. As are the gaseous emissions post-gluttony.

ninfan
    Free Member

Hot, buttered toast
    Slice of corned beef
    Couple of spoonfuls of baked beans
    Brown sauce

Perfection.

maccruiskeen

It looks like it trying to bite me!

ticsmon

“With chips or with salad it’s corned beef,
    Even Buckingham palace eats corned beef,
    Why don’t you try corned beef hash”

AdamW
    Free Member

We never had corned beef hash as kids, we used to have corned beef *mash* which was basically corned beef mashed up in potato. Usually served with baked beans.

I think it was a way to make a tin stretch for a family of six.

We were reet poor, lick road clean w’tongue etc. etc.

RustySpanner

trailwagger – Member
    Oh, and you may or may not want to know that during that ban on Argie corned beef, it was Brazil that supplied upto 80% of our corned beef.

A quick Google suggests it was the same stuff with a different label.
    🙂

nickdavies

Thanks to this thread, I’ve had corned beef hash and a jacket spud for dinner. Top nosh!

nick1962
    Free Member

Can’t believe no one has mentioned the Greggs classic corned beef pastie yet,

RustySpanner

AdamW – Member
    We never had corned beef hash as kids, we used to have corned beef *mash* which was basically corned beef mashed up in potato. Usually served with baked beans.

Wow.

That’s tomorrow’s post work tea sorted Ads.
    Brown sauce and an egg, obviously.

Nice one.

wiggles
    Free Member

I don’t think I’ve ever eaten meat from a tin… Just can’t face the smell, same thing with tuna.

chestrockwell

Mum used to make corned beef fritters. Bloody lovely.

mattyfez

Corned beef and tomato sauce sammich.

I approve.

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Corned beef?’ is closed to new replies.