Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Corned beef?
  • RustySpanner

Fine in a hash, even better if freezing cold and sliced on a sandwich with some mustard, onion, proper butter and piccalilli.

Completely unacceptable on a sandwich if warm, or if the fine layer of congealed fat hasn’t been removed from the outside.

I’d be interested in the opinion of the STW massif.

I don’t think there’s an artisan equivalent, but I’ll give it a page before someone in moleskin trews lets us know of a naice butchers in the Cotswolds or on some godforsaken Scottish island that offers a ludicrously expensive alternative.
    🙂

Surely the only foodstuff left than can’t be classed as inspirational and aspirational?

maccruiskeen

I’m not 100% sure if I’ve ever eaten it. Is there a war on?

P-Jay
    Free Member

AFAIK, despite the label it all comes from a massive Beef processing plant in Argentina, so Sainsbury’s own-brand does us.

It’s lovely stuff, if you can accept it’s low-grade beef and salt.

My Hash recipe is equal parts Spud and Sweet potato with a carrot boiled with a veg stock cube, mashed with some pepper and add the Corned beef. Mrs Jay prefers it sprinkled with cheese and baked, but it’s too greasy for me that way.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Corned beef hash with 3 rashers of bacon on it topped with a poached egg.
    Sunday breakfast delight!

hodgynd
    Free Member

In a toastie with mature cheddar & onion ..oh yeah ..

RustySpanner

There’s always a war on somewhere.

Tuck in and think of Ricky and Ossie.

maccruiskeen

Surely the only foodstuff left than can’t be classed as inspirational and aspirational?

Its only a matter of time – with the increased interest in ‘Nose to Tail eating’ * imagine how excited people will be when they find out they can get both in the one tin.

* not like in the Human Centipede

prawny

Corned beef, tomato ketchup and white bread. No need for butter or any fancy add ons. Bloody lovely.

Also makes your burps taste of egg.

slowoldman

Nowt wrong with the fat.
    I like it on sarnies with tomato.

Then of course there is the great North East delicacy of corned beef pie. Mmm.

prawny

Also dead nice as chunks in savoury rice packets.

Fwoooaaarrrr

RustySpanner

All you white bread fans, are you boycotting Warbies ATM?

I know nothing tastes quite so deliciously artificial, but donors to the Tories and all that….

I’m down to two slices of Toastie at work every morning, thickly spread with Lurpak, just can’t seem to kick the habit.

binners

For butties, as PP has helpfully pointed out, beetroot is where its at

My Hash recipe is equal parts Spud and Sweet potato with a carrot boiled with a veg stock cube, mashed with some pepper and add the Corned beef

GET OUT!!!

For Corned beef hash it has to be Delias recipe. Its all about the mustard and worcestor sauce, topped with fried eggs, obvs

Would you argue with this woman…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXM6BOXBCIc[/video]

😀

Edit: I’ve abandoned Warbies. Its been a wrench, but principles ‘n all that

prawny

Not deliberately because of that. But I’ve decided it’s not worth double what Tesco charge for their own white Toastie bread.

55p vs £1.05, happy that it takes a bit of cash of that shower too.

scotroutes

Hmm

I had corned beef for the first time in years only last week (on a toastie with ketchup). Lovely it was.

Seems awfy coincidental that this thread should pop up.

perchypanther
    Free Member

All you white bread fans, are you boycotting Warbies ATM?

Warbies? What is this nonsense you speak of?

White bread fans have never lived until they’ve peeled back the wax paper on a fresh one of these bad boys…….

Mmmmmmmm………………..Oootsider.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Seriously never lived until you tackled the giant heel of a Mothers Pride plain loaf – or the bitter disappointment of the other end of the scale, the paper thin heelie.

RustySpanner

scotroutes

Seems awfy coincidental that this thread should pop up.

You haven’t posted a picture of your Van Nic in ages Col.
    😐

And stalking is such an ugly word.

maccruiskeen

White bread fans have never lived until they’ve peeled back the wax paper on a fresh one of these bad boys…….

mmmmm – heavy bread!

Its been an eternal frustration for me this year – working a lot up in Morayshire but starting so early and finishing every day so late (and always in a hurry) that I’ve not once managed to grab a loaf of McLeays scottish plain. Just to rub it it I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve driven past the bakery at 4 in the morning or 11 at night.

I don’t know what they put in it, but its absolutely sublime toasted.

ton

toastie with strong cheese and raw onion.

thepurist

unacceptable on a sandwich if warm, or if the fine layer of congealed fat hasn’t been removed from the outside.

No no no – it needs to be warm so all the fat softens and jellifies like the inside of a warm pork pie. Nommmmm

dknwhy

Fry it up with some onion, chuck in some black pepper, a tin of chopped tomatoes and some encona West Indian hot sauce. Serve it with rice, sweetcorn and pitta bread…

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

fancy schmantzy corned beef you say?

Now thinking corned beef hash for dinner, regular common or garden supermarket stuff mind.

perchypanther
    Free Member

mmmmm – heavy bread!

amedias
    Free Member

Fried (in butter) so it’s just starting to go crispy on one side but soft on the other, with scrambled eggs, a slice of toast and if you’re feeling posh, some avocado, mmmmmm

alanf
    Free Member

Forget ketchup!
    Brown sauce is where it’s at…

hodgynd
    Free Member

Corned Beef, Potato & Onion Pie is just a North East delicacy..I hadn’t realised that ..
    Corned Beef & Pease Pudding sandwiches is the one that has folks outside the region scratching their heads in puzzlement

binners

Avocado?!!!

mahalo

Huge fan of the stuff in any format.

especially M&S corned beef crisp bakes!!…

My dad recently re-married and his new bride has a massive bee in her bonnet about it, she is repulsed that we all enjoy it so much!! :mrgreen:

s1m0n
    Free Member

Just had a corned beef, cheese, red onion and tabasco toastie for lunch – delicious.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I don’t know what they put in it, but its absolutely sublime toasted.

..and that there is the most frustrating paradox of the toast world.

The best toast making bread in the world doesn’t actually fit in the toaster.

thomthumb
    Free Member

I don’t think there’s an artisan equivalent,

you need to get to a proper Deli.

P-Jay
    Free Member

^^

Now, that’s that Corned Beef that looks like Beef stuff, no we have the canned redish brown mush with fat here.

RustySpanner

binners – Member
    Avocado?!!!

Quite.

Don’t worry, all the avocado groves in Southern California are currently being consumed by fire.

People will have to resort to eating soap.
    I doubt anyone will notice the difference.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Aren’t Katz supposed to taste more like chicken ..?
    Pastrami …not even close

atlaz
    Free Member

I’ve had some “posh” corned beef in a sandwich recently but was very disappointed as what I ACTUALLY the stuff you get in a can with a bit of english mustard. I went out and bought a can and forgot about it. Perhaps tonight is the night!

andy4d

Has to be the brown (beef) colour version for me, none of that pink stuff that masquerades as corned beef thankyou were much.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

MMMmmmm dirty meat. I luuuurve it all. I’ve literally just got back from the market after buying proper potted beef and haslet.
    It all hoof and eyelid and all the better for it

Corned beef, salami, sausage, pork pie, scotch eggs, any form of preserved meat, haslet, chopped ham and pork, pork luncheon meat, it’s all sweepings off the processing plant floor mixed with heart attack inducing preservatives, salt and fat, and all the better for it.
    Guilty pleasure? Ohhh yeah!

pondo

I did myself a handful of corned beef cobs last night, then cubed and finished off the rest of the tin. Agree that it’s got to be cold, best with white bread and butter (needs no other flavouring, IMO), but more than happy to nibble it on its own.

SaxonRider

I am afraid that, unless you have grown up in one of the cities of North America with a substantial Jewish population, then none of you know what corned beef really is.

Donc, le vrai Montréalais….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Corned beef?’ is closed to new replies.