Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Corfu biking?
  • jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

I go to Corfu, alone now for my birthday after a break up. I’ve got exams coming up and it’s all in so I’m thinking sod it I’ll just go on my own.

There’s a MTB rental place right near where I’m staying

Mountain Bikes

Anyone used them? Or rode in the north of the island? Any hints or tips would be great.

Cheers.

reformedfatty
    Free Member

Did a guided ride using s-bikes from acharavi – decent bikes and people, picked us up from our hotel, uplift to the top of mount pantokrator. Riding was OK but never more challenging than rocky doubletrack.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Nice one, I’ve contacted them about renting a bike. Think I’ll just go for a big explore and maybe have a mooch into Albania one day too.

vdubber67
    Free Member

Stayed on the South East side of Pantokrator last summer. Took the road bike – some excellent riding, including the ascent of Pantokrator itself from both north and south side.

Popped into the bike shop mentioned above to buy a pump – seemed a decent little shop.

Not sure how much singletrack-type MTB action you’ll find though. As per poster above, probably rocky doubletrack really.

You can get over to Albania pretty easily on the hydrofoil – probably worth getting one of the organised trips that include Butrint.

wilburt
    Free Member

Rode up Mt Pantokrator and across the island from Achavari to a town at the other side(cant recall the name now) .

It was a pleasant enough ride, the roads are very broken places and theres some tempting little dirt tracks so a cx or 29er may be an option.
    Be careful on the roads also Greeks don’t really drive on either side if the road and they love rebar its everywhere.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

How hard is Pantokrator to climb up?

wilburt
    Free Member

Steady most of the way, the last couple of KM is steep >10 maybe 15% broken concrete.

Its a lovwly view from the top, cafes applies a bit too much tourist tax though.

TBH its a easily doable ride for anyone averagly fit, the remarkable thing is how Corfu has declined in the 20yrs from a beutiful island making money from agriculture and a little tourism to a broken, litter strewn wasteland of mainland greeks, bereft UK expats and unsuspecting toursits.
    Really is a shame, once was a very lovely.

niall1975
    Free Member

S Bikes do tours at the North of the Island. They can also point you to some great local singletrack. There is some great riding on Pantokrator and the hills in the area. Its loose & rocky terrain. Guys at S bikes are really knowledgable. Bought my Spec Enduro from them.

Niall

dahedd
    Free Member

Hmmm. I’m heading there on my hols with the clan in about 10 days time.

It didn’t even occur to me to enquire about biking. I wonder how the Mrs would react to me chucking my helmet & gear in the suitcase

jamesco

I’ve used these guys a few times, hire bikes or guided rides.Last time I was there Kostas said they were going all 29er,dunno if they have yet, if you use them ask if Napoleon is available for rides, doesn’t charge but gives excellent rides with narrative,he’s just a keen bloke who’ll suit rides to you. I fully recommend them.
    http://www.mountainbikecorfu.gr

dahedd
    Free Member

Well the Mrs wasn’t best chuffed but I’ve emailed them anyway 😆

dahedd
    Free Member

Rode with the guys from S-Bikes Cafe yesterday. Uplift to the top of Mt Pantokrator & down the 1000m to the sea.

George was a Really good guide, lots of fun. Lil bit of road then onto the dirt tracks, wee cobbled sections through tiny hamlets & trails through the Olive Groves.

Nothing overly technical but lots of fun & just stunning views of Corfu island & the simply massive mountain ranges over on the Albanian coast.

Much fun, great coffee half way down & a beer at the shop. Great idea a mtb shop combined with a pub.

Many thanks to George for the guide & Stamatis for the uplift 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Corfu biking?’ is closed to new replies.