Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Core/back strengthening exercises for slouchy desk-bound cyclists?
  • IHN

My back hurts when I ride my bike, and I know it’s down to the fact that, as a desk jockey IT contractor, I essentially have sod-all strength in my lower back. Or, for that matter, my core in general.

What are the best exercises I can do (at home) to sort myself out a bit?

Bushwacked
    Free Member

headstands

globalti
    Free Member

Firstly get yourself an office chair that supports your back properly; in my case this means a good firm pad in the small of the back to make you sit correctly. My employer gave us all new seats with a soft net back (can you believe?) and within a week my back pain came back, I ended up going and fishing my old firm chair out of a skip and having a barny with the personnel manager.

Secondly accept that most cyclists get back pain, especially on long climbs.

Thirdly do some back exercises like planks; it does help to improve muscle tone.

Fourthly check that your bike setup is correct – is it road or mountain? On a road bike you can get a fitting from decent bike shops for around £50. If you’re in Lancashire Paul Hewitt is first class and very experienced.

fifeandy
    Free Member
    austen

Pilates has done wonders for my strength and flexibility – no more sore back when riding.

My class is full of guys slightly older than me who have injured their lower back, glad I’ve hopefully got in early enough to avoid problems in future!

righog
    Free Member

I had a similar problem. I ended up making this list so at least I had a routine to follow. Numbers 1,3,5 are core specific. I can do them all at home ( you will needs some weights and some other stuff but not a full gym )

I expect that I will get a bit of a flaming from the experts, but at least I am doing something which is approx 98.8 % of the battle. My back pain has reduced drastically ( but new bed has also helped with this ).

If I am doing it properly I work through the list sequentially, If I am being a bit slack or on the road in hotels etc I just do Number 1. You may need to google some the terms ( I probably made some up as well ) A pull up bar is needed for some of them but you can substitute, if you have not got one.

Number 1
    Lying leg Kicks
    Lying Leg Raise
    Lying Ass Raise
    Weighted rotation
    Plank
    Hollow hold

Number 4
    Pull Ups
    Kettle Bell Swing
    Deadlift
    Dumbbell Curls
    Plank
    Burpees

Number 2
    Reverse Rows
    Ab Wheel
    Triceps pull down
    Weighted squat
    Weight Plate Lift
    Mountain Climber

Number 5
    Hanging leg raise
    Leg swing rotation
    Plank
    Dumbbell chop
    Ab wheel
    Hollow hold

Number 3
    Alternative arm/Leg
    Lunges
    Kettle bell plank
    Kettle bell swing
    Crunches
    Hollow hold

Number 6
    Kettle Bell push ups
    Overhead Bar
    Fly’s
    Pull Ups
    Triceps pull down
    Weighted squat

Edit : List did not come out in order due to pasting, but you can work out the order I am sure.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Look up Psoas – muscle which causes a lot of back pain in people who sit for long periods.

marcus
    Free Member

What are the best exercises I can do (at home) to sort myself out a bit? – That horse bolted a long time ago. Indeed, there is an argument that it was never in the stable.

ahsat

Pilates and swimming (its worth leaving the house for!). And do it now (unlike me) so you dont have to repair greater damage!

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Yoga (camel pose is great for stretching all the muscles that shorten when you’re deskbound) and swimming (best thing ever for core strengthening – this is stw so I’m assuming you have a pool at home)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Walking. It’s free, and your body is designed to do it. And not just 20 minutes shuffling round the park with the dog, a proper 2-3 hour 8-10mile yomp at a pace that keeps you warm. Focus on lengthening your stride to stretch out hip flexors which tighten when sat at a desk.

And kettlebells for actual strengthening.

chakaping
    Free Member

Tom Danielsons Core Advantage

Why would we want to line his dirty doping pockets?

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Do all of the above, though pilates or yoga is on the list asap for me, and I would also recommend a “stand up” desk. Started using it this year – a hack made from items from IKEA so now more than £15 – and its been brilliant.

ElShalimo

Go to a local pilates class and do 4-6 sessions to get a feel for it. If you like it continue going, or just do the exercises at home once you’re confident that you are doing them correctly.

wombat

Bookmarked for later

paton
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGKocQM6xbA[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALL1FgicrTg[/video]

http://www.cyclist.co.uk/in-depth/1652/beat-cycling-back-pain

benp1

When my back starts hurting from hunched over climbing I find a little stint standing helps a lot

poolman
    Free Member

Pilates for me too, join a class to get started and to realise you arent the worst. The pose where you lye on your front arms and legs extended and raise your arm and opposite leg up is a real winner.

Or as said above a good walk where you get your breathing & pace in synch.

And get a gym ball for home use, leave it somewhere you will use it.

mrblobby
    Free Member

What fifeandy says, despite what chakaping says.

Is a good book, full of stuff that’s very specific to cycling but also relatively quick and easy to do.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Core/back strengthening exercises for slouchy desk-bound cyclists?’ is closed to new replies.