Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Cordless Screwdriver Recommendations Please
  • Lesanita2
    Free Member

My old 9.6V Bosch driver has had it (to be honest it was rubbish, not as good as the Aldi one I had previously). I’ve tried new batteries (borrowed) and now I’ve given up.

I have a corded drill (with hammer) so the new cordless drill doesn’t need to have that function.

I like the pistol shaped ones, the straight ones look like they would trouble my historic bike injuries.

I’ve an extension going up now and it will be getting some use over the next few months, so I’m tinking £50-£80 (could go further in theory if yu recommend its worth it, cheap stuff can be a false economy etc…)

While you are on….. Are there any dedicated DIY forums out there? rather than trouble you good people. I find STW folk give great opinions and I have great trust in (most of) you. I am reluctant to just start surfing for a random website, where some manufacturer has infiltrated it.

Thanks for reading.

Someday I’ll get out for a ride!

Lesanita2
    Free Member

Spare battery & torque settings would be good too. For £100 this looks nice. NICd batteries – I remember them when they were all the rage with bike lights!

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/73596/Power-Tools/Cordless-Drills/Dewalt-DC100KA-GB-18V-Cordless-Combi-Drill?ts=03827

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Screwfix are doing the blue Bosch pro one on special at the mo.

It’s the 10.8v Li-Ion one, driver and impact driver, 2 batts, 30 min charger, £130.

Depends what you want it for really, I have the above and the multi cutter tool from the same range, all excellent.

But for the majority of medium and all larger jobs, I use my 18v Dewalt impact driver. The speed and power are just awesome!

AB
    Free Member

Had 4 over the years – this one is the best by far

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

The one you linked is a good tool for the money, batteries are pants though.

They do a 12v version too, smaller, lighter and cheaper I think, plenty of power

Lesanita2
    Free Member

AB – that looks good on paper! Have you been ok with big screws? Look

TheFunkyMonkey – I like the way they quote the torque. Wouldn’t it be great if they all did that! 100Nm that’s good. I’m wondering if I can justify the price over ABs suggestion. £38 to £130 is a big gap. Any thoughts?

mema
    Free Member

I use makita drivers and they are great. If you are going to use it a lot then I’d spend the money and get a good quality one but if not B&Q pro something or another are great for the money.

footstomper
    Free Member

The screwfix 18v Dewalt combi drill @ £99 is a steal. I have used one of these at work daily for over 12 months and still going strong highly reccomended.
    If you want something a little smaller then B@Q are doing a great package at the moment on Cordless Screwdriver sets.

Anthony
    Free Member

As a joiner I use the Li-on 10.8V Bosch blue screwdriver (not impact wrench) for 98% of screwdriving up to 4″x10g screws.

I was amazed how powerful it was when I got it, I only thought I would be using it for small more delicate jobs but it’s very rare I ned something with more grunt, usually putting in something like 140mm 14g frame fixings.

Batteries last an acceptable time and charge super quick. Worth getting the double battery set though.

donald
    Free Member

I’ve got a small Black and Decker driver that takes ordinary AA cells.

It is awful, no power whatsoever.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I got the DeWalt one on offer at the mo (actually got it for £88 as there was another promotion on as well!!) and it’s very, very good. So good in fact, it makes you want to screw random things together / put holes in other things

CHB

I have a makita li-ion one that I got from B&Q for about £45.
    It has a impact driver function that really helps. great piece of kit.
    It’s a pistol grip, but hinges to either pistol or straight.

AB
    Free Member

Cheesyfeet – where for at £88 – I want one!

Lesanita2 – Does OK with bigger screws, but for the money I don’t think you can go wrong.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Do you need it to be cordless? Can’t you use a screwdriver drill bit in your existing drill, assuming the drill has a speed control?

Or is there some reason that is bad news?

Joe

geoffj

Do you need it to be cordless? Can’t you use a screwdriver drill bit in your existing drill, assuming the drill has a speed control?

Or is there some reason that is bad news?

I’ve been doing this since my Bosch cordless died. It isn’t a good option. There is no torque control and even on the slowest speed it is too fast for some of the jobs I’ve been doing. You end up mangling screwdriver bits and screw heads.

That DeWalt deal looks pretty good for £100

Lesanita2
    Free Member

AB – If you recommend a friend you get a £10 voucher – maybe that was it.

I’m off to buy the DeWalt, battery not ideal, but it looks fine. I believe DeWalt aren’t the premium product that they used to be, biut it sounds like it will be adequate.

Thanks for all your help.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

nonsense, Dewalt make a large range of 18v tools, the £250 ones go forever. Lost count of how many times mine has been dropped, stood on, had plaster, paint and whatever else spilt on it!

Xan
    Free Member

I bought a B&Q own make MacAlister 18v. 2 x betteries, 1 hour charge and only £80. If you can afford it go for either a Wurth 14.4 or 18v or a De Walt XRP. You can get them for anything from £180 to over £300 depending where you look. My mates use both every day and are really hard on them. Getting about 4 years out of both brands.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I’m not sure what people are talking about here, the guy asks for a cordless screwdriver and people are recomending 18v Dewalt XRP???? I’d go with the Bosch 10.8v li-on everytime.

I’m a pro kitchen and bathroom fitter and use this daily and it’s an amazing bit of kit unless you want to put in 150mm screws. I do have a Dewalt XRP but I only use it for drilling holes and BIG screws. The beauty with the Bosch is it’s very light, has a good torque setting, and the batteries charge in 15 mins.

I paid less than £70 for mine and wouldn’t be without it now.

scaredypants

suggestion/hijack

what you (I) want is one with variable speed controlled by the trigger, so you can start it nice & slow

anyone know of a cheapish one like this ?

I’ve a ded cheap one currently that’s fine but starts just too fast for my liking (unless the battery’s just about to run out, when it’s great !)

Anthony
    Free Member

As myself and Mr Blazin have said, for screwdriving only, you can’t beat the mini Bosch GSR10.8V Li-ion SCREWDRIVER.

If you think you may need it as a DRILL too, then indeed the £100 Dewalt combi DRILL is a very good buy. Like the older XRP but not quite as high spec.

Using the speed control trigger on an electric drill for screwdriving isn’t great unless there is a lower gear option.

Scaredypants; most are like this, in fact the only one I have experience of that didn’t have slow start was a shocking £10 item about 10 years ago.

scaredypants

shocking £10 item about 10 years ago

😳

(… it wasn’t that much)

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Cordless Screwdriver Recommendations Please’ is closed to new replies.