Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Corded Drill – what to get?
  • easygroove
    Free Member

My B&D cordless is buggered. I need to replace with a corded i thinki that will cover masony and brick drilling as well as screw driving. Its for general home use, so nothing too fancy req’d. Any reasonably priced recommendations?
    thanks

wrightyson
    Free Member

Even for home use id go down the route of sds percussion drills nowadays. Basic hammer drills are just so slow compared. Look at screwfix they have loads of choice and price variations.

Stoner
    Free Member

^ agree. A cheap corded SDS is a great tool to have around. And a cordless driver for wood and screwing. Loads of bargins to be had. For DIY you dont need expensive LiIon, 36v, 5Kjoules etc etc

Stoner
    Free Member
    wrightyson
    Free Member

Totally agree with the cordless ryobi, you could even drop to the £50 erbaur on screwfix for the drill. Still more than capable for DIY. Oh and don’t forget your sds drills. 5.5 For red plugs 7 for brown.

Stoner
    Free Member

if you have loads of drill bits already, you might also want to budget for an sds chuck adaptor so that you can use your old bits in the sds.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Second the Bosch one above. I have an almost identical jobbie which was used non-stop yesterday to fit seven inch skirting – makes it so easy (undoubted skills aside of course) 😀

Good SDS bits are not cheap. I got a Bosch set (5.5, 7 and 8mm and a couple of chisel bits) – and they’re still good as new despite a lot of use. You can also get SDS bits to do all kinds of clever stuff – channelling etc.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Stoner you shouldn’t really use a chuck adaptor for hammer drilling!. Ok for wood, hss etc

Xylene
    Free Member

Dad picked up a Dewart for 29.99 last year in a 75% sale. Possibly the best drill I have ever used. He also got a full set of bits for it for another 12 quid

tonyplym
    Free Member

If you go the SDS route then note that many are just 2 function (drill, hammer drill); it’s worth spending a little extra to get a 3 function (drill, hammer drill, hammer only) one – so you can use it with chisel bits.

chickenman

SDS compared to mains percussion compared to cordless percussion is like hydro-disc brakes compared to Vs compared to old style cantis; night and day!
    I would get a corded SDS and then either a heavy duty cordless for everthing else or a small cordless and a mains drill for everything else.
    I prefer the latter for all day use as I hate big, heavy, clumsy cordless drills and still use a 9.6v for screwdriving!

Stoner
    Free Member

Stoner you shouldn’t really use a chuck adaptor for hammer drilling!.

voodoo! 🙂

only because the chuck can precess open if you dont keep an eye on it and it will get prematurely worn/fall apart. You wont die though.

I know they stick warning notices all over the instruction manuals, but its only to get you to buy lots of new SDS bits 🙂

If you get a specific hammer action chuck adaptor there’s even less of a problem.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Plus they don’t work anywhere near as well as sds straight into the chuck , just going on my limited 15 yrs of using one! 😉

Xylene
    Free Member

Big Bro has a Milwake 18v li-ion drill.

Lovely drill but un balanced so fell over all the time

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Corded Drill – what to get?’ is closed to new replies.