Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Copyright stuff
  • spacemonkey

Bit of a weird one this … For years I’ve been trying to write a novel (well, more like about 15 so far), and know that one day I will actually do it. I’m now toying with some material that I wrote with 2 college friends yonks ago. Am no longer in touch with them and may not be able to find them (have tried LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook etc).

So my question is: would I need some kind of permission from them to use some of the stuff we co-wrote all those years ago? I’d rather track them down and be matey about it, but if I can’t then I don’t want things to kick off if one of them gets the hump. This is of course based on me actually writing the bloody book in the first place, and getting it out there.

Ta

johndoh
    Free Member

I’d write it first and worry about permissions when you have been offered a book deal.

spacemonkey

Well, I’m likely to go down the self-publ route first (with a story-blog and other bits of web-marketing to back it up). This at least allows me to focus mainly on the book and not the deal. Hence I still have concerns that if I do happen to pull this off, my mates won’t suddenly turn up out of the blue and get arsey. Don’t need the hassle of that and a re-write.

johndoh
    Free Member

Well worry about it when you self-publish. To be honest, unless there is much money to be made they aren’t going to be bothered are they?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Copyright stuff’ is closed to new replies.