Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Copy of driving license required by insurers
  • gogg
    Free Member

When did this become the norm?

scaled
    Free Member

Its just another hoop for you to jump through, if you don’t supply it in time then they’ll do you for admin fees or some bollocks.

Ryanair style insurance these days.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

probably something to do with the number of drivers without a license and trying to stop it. Not exactly hard to do just snap a photo and email it.

gogg
    Free Member

But with no license the insurance is in valid anyway isn’t it? And the insurance company aren’t the police, so it isn’t their job. Maybe if the police did proper policing by pulling driver over rather than sending them letters, they would catch a few more unlicensed, uninsured, false plate using drivers.

Not so easy to do when the license is back at DVLA having a new photo put on it…

Bearing in mind idiots at insurance companies have been selling details of drivers involved in accidents to ambulance chasing scum claims “management” companies, I’m not sure that I want to provide additional details that could be used for identity theft to people that don’t have proper data protection systems in place.

bigad40
    Free Member

Yes it’s the norm since my latest renewal.

Drac

Been the norm for as long as I’ve been driving.

Of course it’s their job to check, they want to make sure you’re claims of who you are, how long you’ve been driving and convictions are correct. Why so defensive?

z1ppy

What addition info are they going to get from your driving license that they don’t already have? No one can use it to apply for another license, unless you have an old sytle one, due to the photograph on record.
    Could this not be the insurance companies actually being proactive? In asking for actual copies, it will work as extra proof of fraud by ppl saying they have a licence or have no points (& providing false info)

EDIT: At least insurance company have regulator to complain to (Even if it’s a case of banging you head against a wall). Apply for jobs, every recruiter wants a copy of my driving license/passport and in the last case a medical form sign-off, and as much personal info as the insurance company have. Yes I could refuse, but do you think my application would go forward?

wrightyson
    Free Member

20 years of driving and never had that from vans to fiestas to imprezas?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

But with no license the insurance is in valid anyway isn’t it?

So maybe they only want to give you insurance if you can prove they meet their terms.
    There are plenty of products that require you to meet their terms and prove it before taking out their product.

Maybe if the police did proper policing by pulling driver over rather than sending them letters, they would catch a few more unlicensed, uninsured, false plate using drivers.

Perhaps they do, but if you put a block on people getting insurance they might persuade some not to and save then a heap of hassles later down the line.

Sounds like you just hate insurance companies really.

Drac

24 years of driving and had it loads of times, my work even checks every few years too.

gogg
    Free Member

Why so defensive?

Never been asked for it in 28 years of driving, just wondering why now. The insurer, Aviva has a track record of employees using customers data. Driving licence number is used for ID verification in some areas (Amazon seller account is just one example).

As for being pro-active, yes, I can see how it provides evidence of the drivers “record”, but insurers being insurers they would duck out of their liability if the full facts weren’t divulged anyway.

wilburt
    Free Member

It used to be very much the norm, then stopped because it’s costly and easier to check if there’s a claim. Soon it won’t matter as your details points etc will be online anyway.

cliffyc
    Free Member

Photocopy of the “old” driving licence?,if you still have it and a letter explaining you are waiting for a new one…..?

gogg
    Free Member

Sounds like you just hate insurance companies really.

Or I hate big brother and lazy policing, but you put your own spin on it Mike.

Drac

Don’t use arriva then, blimey you trusted a company renowned for tax evasion and that has nothing to do with the motor industry with your driver licence details. But yet get angry at an insurance company wanting them, most odd.

gogg
    Free Member

Typical STW response

I asked if it was the norm. A simple yes or no would have sufficed.

I reply to questions about why I have a concern and suddenly I’m angry??

Thanks for the help.

😉

gogg
    Free Member

Wilburt, thanks for that most helpful response. All is now clear.

🙂

Drac

You came across as angry in your follow up post with your rant after 2 people gave you a reply.

gogg
    Free Member

That was a rant??

I explained why I was concerned. Along with my honest opinion that I think the Police would be better off pulling people over occasionally. The two other replies were effectively “because they want to, so they can charge you more” and another justification that didn’t hold water as “unlicensed drivers” will by default be uninsured. Neither of which really answered the question “When did this become the norm?”

Anyway, thanks for all the helpful answers. I’ve already said I will send a copy when my ID card driving license is returned by the ever efficient staff in Swansea.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and another justification that didn’t hold water as “unlicensed drivers” will by default be uninsured. Neither of which really answered the question “When did this become the norm?”

Fair enough not answering your question but giving a good reason for why it’s done. I’ve had to provide proof of age to buy certain products, provide proof of location for others. It’s certainly not an unreasonable request.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Only problem I can see with this is ‘spent’ convictions. I think some convictions stay on your paper licence for ten years or something. But if they’re over six, they are ‘spent’ and you no longer have to declare them to insurance companies, or anyone AFAIK.

jota180
    Free Member

A normal SP30 or similar is valid for 3 years but stays on for 4

nealglover
    Free Member

As for being pro-active, yes, I can see how it provides evidence of the drivers “record”, but insurers being insurers they would duck out of their liability have no liability if the full facts weren’t divulged anyway.

FTFY.

If the insurance companies don’t check, then the drivers can get insurance and tax, then drive around not being pulled by police ANPR cameras, as everything appears to be fine.

I would rather they not be able to get insurance at all, that way the ANPR cameras would spot them no problem as uninsured. And they wouldn’t be on the road.

DezB
    Free Member

I think its the norm now, but my last renewal was the first time i’ve had to supply it since I started driving in the 80s.
    I sent it scanned (photographed with phone) by email. Almost had insurance refused because i didn’t send them the reverse of the photo card! Ticking boxes pain in the arse bloody insurance

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Been doing it for years. They will cancel your insurance if you don’t send the required licence details off. And you will be liable for the full amount.
    Only takes five mins, scan them and email them across. That’s what Hastings wanted me to do.

jota180
    Free Member

Been doing it for years. They will cancel your insurance if you don’t send the required licence details off. And you will be liable for the full amount.
    Only takes five mins, scan them and email them across. That’s what Hastings wanted me to do.

Not something I’ve ever come across and I’ve been getting insurance since 1975

I’ve also just renewed with Hastings for a motorcycle so maybe there’s something that triggers it with some quotes?

MoreCashThanDash

Neither me, nor the wife who is disabled and has an automatics only license, have ever been asked.

15 years since I was working in claims, but we never asked at tbe underwriting stage back then.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Maybe its because i have points then?! Dunno, they just always ask me to send my licence off. But then again my missus has no points and has been driving since 2009 and she has to send her licence details off.

Age related? She’s 34 I’m 28.

euans2
    Free Member

Back in 95 when I first passed my test I was asked to provide my license, I havent since.

chewkw
    Free Member

Yes, when I insured my car for the first time but not after that.

nealglover
    Free Member

I’ve never been asked either, been buying insurance every year for 25 years (and two policies a year for the last 10 years)
    Mrs has never been asked either (20 years)

Although I wouldn’t mind in the slightest if they asked, it would take 30 seconds to snap a picture and email it off.

somouk
    Free Member

Never been asked before but I think it’s a good thing.

A lot of people with points on their license or an auto only license driving around without telling the insurance company. Now the insurance company can check for themselves.

No different to providing bank statements for a mortgage or a passport to travel abroad really. Just proof you are legal.

footflaps

Only ever had to provide mine for company cars – never for private insurance…

poah
    Free Member

depends on the insurance company – Adrian flux due it

lerk
    Free Member

Adrian flux wanted mine until I rang to query it and they worked out the undeclared claim was a windscreen repair and therefore shouldn’t have been listed as a claim on my records… Once the details I gave matched what they knew about me, they no longer ended to see it…

So what lies have you all been telling??? 😀

bonchance
    Free Member

Thing I don’t get is:

a) Hirecar co’s can verify you with DVLA – should you have lost/mislaid your licence. So the facility and protocol exists.

b) Someone blagging it already could easily photoshop the scan – remove the points/endorsement.

So unless ins co. then verify your details (driver number) and licence status with DVLA = pointless

Here is a thought: Why should anyone expect there driver and licence status to be confidential – a matter of public record even?

Like if a vehicle is insured – or not 🙂

amplebrew

I’ve never had to produce my driving licence for car insurance, but I’ve have had to produce it a number of times for my motorbike insurance.

I had to produce a copy for my first motorbike policy way way way back in 1996 and then every year since and it was only when moving to Carole Nash at the beginning of last year that it stopped.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Copy of driving license required by insurers’ is closed to new replies.