Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Copperslip on back of brake pads…
  • DrP

Something I’ve done when changing car pads since day dot…but never ‘had’ to do with bike brake pads..

However, in the past month I’ve solved squealing brakes on both the MTB and road bike, buy slopping copper slip on the back of the pads..

Is there something in the air this month?!
    Anyone else routinely do this?

DrP

Jamie
    Free Member

I put a dab, nothing good can come from a slopping, on the back of the pads on my TRP Spyres to solve a juddering issue.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

It used to be a ‘tip’ for MTB disc brakes but I’ve not seen it proffered for a while.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I used too much one time, it melted and soaked into the friction material. That was not good. Use it sparsely.

buck53

Par for the course on motorbikes, so I bought this with me when I started riding mountain bikes. I only need to do it in sintered pads though, organic not been a problem so far.

oldnick

Good point, do it on the car, did it on the (motor)bikes and have never done it on the mountain bikes 😕

I wonder if it will cure my banshee squealing SS sintered pads?

hs125
    Free Member

I use just a dab on every new set of pads. Never had a squeal. Never seen a reason why not to.

timidwheeler

At the risk of sounding an idiot…
    I put a little dab between the piston and the back of the pad?

mildred

I use a thin smear – works for me & not had a problem.

slackalice
    Free Member

Always.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

On the back of the pad, and only a smear.

AlasdairMc

At the risk of sounding an idiot…
    I put a little dab between the piston and the back of the pad?

Nah, between the pad surface and the rotor – it’ll stop the squealing noises when stopping as well.

(please don’t try this) 😀

timidwheeler

😆

I’ve done stupider things.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

No id never use copper slip (on brake pads) as it is slightly corrosive to rubber seals, so i use rubber grease (red in colour) and is specifically designed for stopping brake squeal and resists heat building up on the pads, so there.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

I always used to. Had no end of bother with stiff seals on two sets of brakes. Won’t bother any more unless I can’t bear the noise.

jameso

Never done this, not keen on the idea of anything like that anywhere near my pads, but heard it mentioned. What’s the reason? There’s a fair bit of pressure there so I didn’t think it was for taking out vibrations. Is it to let the pad move against the piston under pressure?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

do it on my motorbike, understood it to be to prevent the pad sticking to the piston through corrosion more than to stop squealing, did it when I first got MTB discs but not done it for years.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Copperslip on back of brake pads…’ is closed to new replies.