Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Copenhagen – what to do
  • howarthp

We’ve just arrived in the city. We’re doing normal touristy stuff but does anyone have any particular recommendations?

blitz

I went on a stag do during which we did a segway tour. It was a good way to see the city. Just don’t hit a speed bump at pace. Segways don’t like leaving the ground as one of our group found out. He’s got cool scars now. The tour was good though!

Kamakazie

Bike tour from the bike shop in Nyhavn (Copenhagen Bikes).
    Food in meat packing district.
    Evening in Tivoli.

johndoh
    Free Member

We’ve just arrived in the city.

Aren’t you meant to do your research before you go?

Here

gastromonkey
    Free Member

Norrebro Bryghus is really good and a short walk from the city centre. It’s in a nice area for bars and restaurants. Sorry the site won’t let me post the link but google it. There is a market near the brewery that did good pizza. I can’t remember what it’s called but just over the bridge as you walk back to the city centre.

The meat packing district was also good for food and drink when we went a couple of years ago. Also a few small galleries in the area.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

*Paging DrJ.

DrJ to the information counter please. Copenhagen visitor urgently needs help.*

🙂

DrJ

@deadly 🙂

Cocktails at Lidkoeb – even for CPH standards, the clientele are beautiful
    Food at Oel og Broed http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2014/jul/19/copenhagen-city-guide-day-in-vesterbro
    and pork sandwich: http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2015/may/03/isted-grill-copenhagen-roast-pork-sandwich

As others have said, Copenhagen is not really a place for specific attractions – of course there is Tivoli, Blue Planet, various museums (Louisiana is great, even with kids), Christiania but mostly there are little squares and streets, places to have a coffee or (better) a beer, and watch the world (ok, I mean the girls) go by, or neighbourhoods to explore. I’ve been here 5 years and I’m still discovering new places to see.
    (The notion that Malmø is nicer, in any way, is just wrong. There are some nice shops for Christmas gifts and a load of new housing projects.)
    Just to append some notes I sent someone else:
    Marmorkirken – big domed church thing with stairs to go up
    Christiania – hippies and drug dealers and university professors. Touristy but interesting resto – “Spiseloppen”
    – walk by water
    – nearby spiral walk round spire of church – not for vertigo sufferers – Vor Frue Kirken
    Old houses round area towards Kastellet
    Carlsberg – old factory, occasional cultural events, nice “secret” garden (Akademiets Have). Obligatory museum (visit in reverse order to avoid paying ) Nearby old workers houses, Humleby, where Nanne Birk Larsen was held captive !! (house redone by Thijs )
    Pisseranden (piss gutter) area round Studiestrade etc. – shops, cafes, bars
    Lakes
    Statens Museum for Kunst – nice building, see Hammershøi paintings
    Tivoli ???
    Shopping for clothes (esp girls) – Kronprincessegade etc – “Copenhagen Catwalk”
    Pricy restos (need reservations):
    Gronbech and Churchill
    Fiskebaren
    Radio
    Nørrebro:
    Jægersborggade – we went to Coffee Connection, also Manfreds Wine Bar, Relae and others. Nearby Stefansgade – Mikkeler beer, ice cream shop, Ricco’s cafe, drug dealers in park
    Elmegade – small shops and cafes, and beer at Ølbaren
    Ryesgade – boutiques, antiques, Nørrebro Bryghus pub&resto
    Gritty neighbourhood
    Vesterbro
    Istedgade – walk away from central station. Sex shops and then boutiques and cafes! Mikkeler’s pub on sidestreet.
    Galleries at old meat processing area, exhibits depending on date. Cafes and restos.
    Cafe at top of Illums department store has terrace w views
    Also resto at top of Post Museum
    Sky Bar at the top of Bella Sky hotel – nice lunches, location at the finale of The Bridge II.
    Day out to Louisiana museum, and to look at small village nearby
    Day out on bus to Dragør – picturesque village but maybe pain to get there.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Nice one DrJ.

Listen to that man’s advice. Had a fantastic break there a couple of years ago going on his recommendations.

DrJ

Happy to help, DD 🙂

Also now add:

Walk over the bridge to “Paper Island” (papiroen) to the food market and sit outside in the sun drinking beer, or coffee and eating delicious fast food.
    Did I mention the BBQ place in the meat-packing area – the name has disappeared from my head just now, but follow your nose!

howarthp

DrJ and others – thank you!!! It’s an impulse trip with the family. Not had time to research

corroded
    Free Member

Do you like beer? Then get yourself to Mikkeller. Or War Pigs (I think that’s the place DrJ is referring to).

convert

Kayak republic. Great way to see the city.

animalchin
    Free Member

Warpigs! Warpigs! warpigs! And any mikeller brewery bars!

DrJ

Or War Pigs (I think that’s the place DrJ is referring to).

Right – thanks – I was suffering from a senior moment back there!!

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

Just got back to my hotel from warpigs. 2nd time this week but it’s on expenses and makes a mockery of my vegetarian diet, Oh well…

Flying home tomorrow, probably back in 2 weeks, thanks for the list

timber

Tower with a ramp to the top and vague memory of a gallery with illustrations from children’s books.
    Cinnamon buns from St Michaels? bakery, or maybe St Peters.
    Tommis burgers on the edge of town.
    Tivoli is quite nice in the evening.
    Copenhagen Card for transport and access to most places, even up and down the coast. We went to loads of places knowing it was all paid for already.

corroded
    Free Member

Following on from DrJ’s suggestion of Louisiana Museum of Modern Art, you can rent/borrow a bike in Copenhagen, cycle up the coast on bike paths (and it’s flat), see the gallery and take the train back with the bikes. Easy. Or vice versa – train up, cycle back. They call it the Danish Riviera – on a sunny day it’s ace.
    Depends if you’re there longer than just a weekend.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Copenhagen – what to do’ is closed to new replies.