• This topic has 15 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DrJ.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Copenhagen how expensive?
  • theupsetter
    Free Member

Heading over in a few weeks and was wondering just how expense are the wee things like eating and drinking when out and about ?

Been hearing horror stories like £16 a pint etc.

hammyuk
    Free Member

In the same way as Norway/Sweden are – cost of living is higher but then so are the wages.
    I’ll ask the OH where to go as she’s there regularly with work.

Bregante

Been a few times but not for the last 5 years or so. It’s expensive like most capital cities but eating and drinking out in Scandinavia is generally pretty pricey.

I can easily imagine a beer costing that much around Nyhavn (harbour area) but I’m sure you will find substantially cheaper away from the main tourist spots. Lovely place.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

We went last year. It’s pricey, but nowhere near as bad as I expected. Quite easy to shell out a few quid in Mikeller though – but well worth it. 🙂

tomhughes46

We paid around 10DKK per pint (fiver ish) in most places. Similar for a sandwich. Evening meals were expensive but maybe we chose badly (Nyhavn area)

joolsburger
    Free Member

I go there monthly for work. It’s London prices for food 25% more for drink.

If you fancy a good meal Cafe Victor is great and they do a good steak in KoD very good, however 500g rib eye, chips mushrooms 2 cokes = 80quid!

But where else can you get a 6ft 2 biker playing the blues in a pub to give you his rendition of Jolene at 1am cos the wife likes it. I love Copenhagen!

tomhughes46

Also – Copenhagen Street Food (Paper Island) is well worth a visit and not too ££££

ebygomm
    Free Member

We paid around 10DKK per pint (fiver ish)

Don’t think you’ve remembered correctly, 10DKK is around a quid

tomhughes46

Yep – well, around fiver I remember thinking at the time; maybe 8 quid in some places? I thought it was about London prices anyway…

DrJ

Good variety of food for different pockets and palettes at Kodbyen – the old meat market, near the Central Station (https://goo.gl/maps/g9JhgasBN2y) – BBQ at Warpigs (££), great seafood at Fiskebaren (££££) (need to book), and many others.

RADIO is the perfect combination of chef-y and satisfying (https://goo.gl/maps/JERGdDUrVoF2) but it’s about 100 quid for 2 for the 5-course menu and wine menu.

Beer is about 5 quid for a glass – about 330ml (much cheaper than Norway). But it’s strong and tastes good so sinking pints is not really an option.

As well as the obligatory trip to Mikeller’s there’s also Olbar (https://goo.gl/maps/wQnKRkjdB9k)

In fact, too many places to list, and you will discover your own!

tlr

We came back yesterday. Beer about £7.50 a pint, and that’s on Stroget/Nyhaven. Coffee about £5. Dinner first night was £250 for 2, but that was at an excellent restaurant. Dinner second night was about £60 at an Irish bar watching the rugby and consisted of nachos, pie and Guiness.

It is expensive, but wincingly so rather than eye watering.

And one Krone equals about 11p

john_drummer
    Free Member

I didn’t think Stockholm was that expensive TBH. 330ml glass of strong local IPA about a fiver, sort of London prices*. Wine in T-Bar was more expensive but that makes sense – grains & hops will grow in Sweden but wine has to be imported

* or Fibbers York, First Direct Arena Leeds, etc

jambalaya
    Free Member

Alcohols is very expensive, sufficently so we often had dinner with just water (my daughter was there for a year as a student).

sbob
    Free Member

john_drummer – Member

I didn’t think Stockholm was that expensive TBH. 330ml glass of strong local IPA about a five

Please come and drink in my pub!

john_drummer
    Free Member

Where’s your pub sbob?

Normally where I live, beer is £3 a pint. But if I go to a gig at a proper music venue I’d expect to pay £5 a pint, in and around Leeds. If I had to go to that London, I’d expect £5 a pint or more in a pub, and probably a tenner a pint in a music venue. So T-Bar in Stockholm (Diplomat Hotel) £5-6 equivalent for a 330ml glass of local IPA was, I thought, quite reasonable. Mrs_d’s wine was another story 😯

Systembolaget was interesting. Bottled beers about £2-3 not far removed from home. Cheapest reasonable Chilean white wine about £6-8 a bottle. Probably £4 or less in Aldi in UK but not unreasonable. Opening hours left something to be desired though!

DrJ

Opening hours left something to be desired though!

Having to predict on Friday how pissed you will want to get over the weekend is a bit of a pain 🙁

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Copenhagen how expensive?’ is closed to new replies.