Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Coombs Dale Descent – Sth Peaks… Awesome! – Ride Report
  • jekkyl

I was out around the south peaks yesterday afternoon, starting at Eyam and had a great time. Started by riding up past the Riley graves and then down through the woods. Came upon an absolute tech fest, mud, roots and baby head sized rocks… absolutely smashing, banging it down on my HT, finished that byway with a great big smile and that was in the first 15 mins of the ride.
    Down another byway to Stoney Middleton and then turned off up Coombs Dale. I’ve never cycled this part of the peaks before and I was surprised how beautiful it really is. Coombs Dale is a lovely climb on mostly grit n gravel next to a stream, in the stream, through some woods and emerging a’top the Moor with the wind blowing.
    From there I took the bridleway almost back on yourself and headed up to the quarry. From the end of there turned right to go right past the quarry. Then down an awesome gravel covered very steep non tech but very fast descent at bleaklow, great fun daring myself to let off the brakes completely.
    This was the point at which I cut the ride short, I had planned to go down into bakewell but turned left here and headed back up to come from wence I came.
    Decided against the route over the hill back to stoney and turned down to descend Coombs Dale. My God awesome fun, so fast and passing beautiful scenery. There is a series of bumps and lumps daring you to grab some air every few seconds. One of my spokes had cracked earlier so with this in mind I was trying to keep the bike on the ground, and struggled. Loved it. There was one brown pants moment where the ground after the jump was much lower, squeal of the brakes and a small skiddy…. on the gravel.
    Turned up the cliff path from stoney back to Eyam and did the first part through the woods again and back along the road closed due to landslip. Great ride in an area I’ve never been before but I shall definitely be back.

iain1775
    Free Member

Sounds good, walked around there loads but never got round to taking the bike
    How far was the route and do you have a map?

jekkyl
    dawson

Thanks for the write-up, keep meaning to do more south Peak District stuff for a change – sounds good

fathomer

Funnily enough, I rode past the end of the byway from Eyam on Friday. Even at 25mph on the roadie thought it look good and said to the wife I’d have to see if I could string it into a ride at some point.

jekkyl

The bottom of that byway, just after Riley graves track from Eyam.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Good trails use to ride them all on the Motorbike till they became off-limits.Nice one like that of the top of the Quarry down to Rowland.Good rocky trail down to Monsal Head from Brushfield way.

scandal42
    Free Member

Looks good, might have to give that a whirl.

mintimperial

You were riding the right bike for those trails, that’s for sure. Coombs Dale is where Cy and Paul at Cotic sent me when I demoed the Rocket last year… 🙂

simon1975

Ooh I always thought that one was a Public Footpath! Glad you enjoyed your ride 🙂

benman
    Free Member

Was a footpath, but I think its being upgraded to byway so the motorbikes can ‘officially’ destroy it, rather than destroying it on the sly.

**EDIT** Although that sign on the post does seem to suggest that motorbikes still shouldn’t be riding it. Either way, they do.

fathomer

scandal42 – Member

Looks good, might have to give that a whirl.

Let us know if you want some company 😀

scandal42
    Free Member

Let us know if you want some company

Certainly will do, through the usual method.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Coombs Dale Descent – Sth Peaks… Awesome! – Ride Report’ is closed to new replies.