Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Cooling a car without A/C
  • Pieface

Driving through France at the beginning of July and trying to work out the best way to keep the car cool as it doesn't have air conditioning.

The plan is to use a couple of those mesh sun shields on the side windows and one on the rear windscreen and have the windows open at the front. Will a 12v fan help to keep things cool too?

Otherwise are these ceramic heater / coolers any good?

http://www.buyasyoufly.com/736/product_detail.html

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Will a 12v fan help to keep things cool too?

The car should come with one already built into the dashboard…. 😈

samuri
    Free Member

Otherwise are these ceramic heater / coolers any good?
    It's a fan with a heater. In summer you just don't turn the heater on.

I think your original plan sounds fine.

trail_rat
    Free Member

does your car not blow cold air when you turn the dial to blue …

headfirst
    Free Member

Mate, its France not the bloody Sahara. If the heat is such an issue (very young children??) why go somewhere you reckon will be hot?

Windows down job done.

Murray

Plan sounds fine. Drink lots of fluids and have some wet wipes in the car. At least that's my parents did when dragging me round Europe as a kid.

P.S. Try not to be wearing shorts in a car with leather upolstery. Child cruelty!

nedrapier

You could wrap your car in a big, damp cloth?

Grimy
    Free Member

Big block of dry ice on the back seat? 8)

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Earplugs for when the wind roar starts to give you a headache. Sun glare and windows open on the payage for many many hours equals headaches.

neilforrow

K

Ice packs between your legs an wet towels draped over your head should do it.

Occasionally close the windows and turn the hearer to full until the last one in the car can stand the heat no more. This gives you an entertaining game to pass the time and the normal warm air out side feels refreshingly cool.

tron
    Free Member

We went to France last August. It was over 38 degrees in places. What we found worked well was the sunroof tilted open, the sunroof blind closed and the blowers on full whack. And going fast.

The tilted sunroof lets the hot air out. A coolbox on the back seat with some cold drinks in it is nice, but they don't stay cool for long in that weather.

BigJohn

We did it with our young kids loads of times.

It was only the long tunnels from France to Italy that got really hot.

Windows open, or driving through the night are favourites.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

A 12v socket powered one would.

emac65
    Free Member

Done France for our last 3 holidays in the car & wouldn't fancy it without AC tbh.As for open the windows – Toll roads for several hours at ahem/cough MPH & you'd all be deaf……The car bloody drank fuel with it on too……
    Don't forget to keep everyone's high-vis jacket inside the car & not in the boot…

coffeeking
    Free Member

Done France for our last 3 holidays in the car & wouldn't fancy it without AC tbh.As for open the windows – Toll roads for several hours at ahem/cough MPH & you'd all be deaf……The car bloody drank fuel with it on too……
    Don't forget to keep everyone's high-vis jacket inside the car & not in the boot…

We did the Alps with the windows open (air con failed before going) and had no problems with being deaf. We were only doing 60-70 though I suppose.

midlifecrashes

tron
    Free Member

A 12v socket powered one would.

Would it? They generally use a Peltier device and the specs state a relatively poor temperature differential – I think it's around 10°C.

The proper ones with compressors in are a different beast entirely, and a lot pricier.

emac65
    Free Member

We did the Alps with the windows open (air con failed before going) and had no problems with being deaf. We were only doing 60-70 though I suppose.

We drove down to the south of France,780 mile. I wouldn't have fancied the windows open for all that time & don't suppose the 3 kids in the back would have liked it much either……

molgrips
    Free Member

We got a dashboard mounted fan when we used to do this, and it helped a lot. Mainly because – get this – it blew air AS WELL as the built in one..! So there was MORE air moving!

It was a lot quieter than having the windows open too.

hora
    Free Member

Every wears VESTS and shorts. You'll be fine!

T666DOM

A nice refreshing glass of liquid nitrogen should cool you down, brrrrr

stratobiker
    Free Member

If you're traveling South, try and do most of your driving in the morning. When travelling North, try and do more in the afternoon. That way, assuming you're driving a RHD car, you're on the shady side more. I find this makes quite a difference.

SB

BigAirNig
    Free Member

Try some Magicool – cooling spray …..

Cougar

Hire a car with a/c for the week?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Cooling a car without A/C’ is closed to new replies.