Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • cooler/cold weather riding clothes (top half)
  • xherbivorex
    Free Member

is a decent base layer with a softshell the best way to cope with cold but dry(ish) weather conditions, or do you prefer a thicker long sleeved jersey?
    after losing a substantial amount of weight i need to sort out my wardrobe and that includes clothes for riding in. i have a good quality well fitting waterproof jacket already, just need to sort out the other stuff.
    what does everyone favour then? brands?

iamsporticus
    Free Member

even when its -5 all I wear is a base layer with a softshell – I have 2 Gore ones

Riding is toasty
    When you stop its freezing

Shandy
    Free Member

Base layer x 2
    Thin Fleece
    Thick Fleece
    Softshell
    Light Waterproof Windshell
    Proper Waterproof Jacket
    Fleece Skullcap

Gives you pretty much every option you need. You're better with cheaper stuff and more options, a good waterproof is the only place I spend money anymore. A lot of my stuff is DHB or Helly Hansen/Patogonia from TK Maxx. Rab do some great waterproofs.

crikey
    Free Member

Depends a lot on who you ride with and how, if there's lots of faffing and stopping and general out-for-the-day ness going on, you need a bit more protection, so a decent softshell plus the back up of a waterproof is best. If it's more of a get-bloody-on-with-it, I-like-mountain-biking-but-I-have-other-things-to-accomplish-before-it-gets-dark kind of ride, then you can get away with a gilet and a waterproof.

DaveGr
    Free Member

Baked Alaska merino top from Ground Effect in NZ. Good for Spring/Autumn and have also used it thruout the winter.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

anybody got an altura reflex longsleeve jersey? any good?

erny
    Free Member

I would highly recommend a Gore phantom jacket as part of your biking wardrobe

Bimbler
    Free Member

Gore Phantom for anything from about 12 to -2 centigrade

chakaping
    Free Member

Do you have any old merino wool jumpers, the thin sort?

Try riding in one of them, they're amazingly warm but breathable at the same time. Stick your waterproof over the top and you'll be covered for most situations.

You could buy an outdoorsy branded merino, but I've found M&S perform perfectly well.

BitterBaldingFatty
    Free Member

+1 for Baked Alaska. I've used mine in all 4 seasons, paired with a baselayer & waterproof in winter or on its own on a summer's morning/evening.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i have a howies merino NBL light longsleeve already.
    some things to think about now though… those gore phantom softshells look tempting. nice.

psling
    Free Member

Look to the darkside. Arm warmers & knee warmers are inexpensive, take up little room and are very effective. Should be in everybodys kit pile ~ unless you're, like, a really gnarly rad dude 😉

DrDolittle
    Free Member

Baked Alaska here too. Three season wear, very versatile.

ton

thin base and a windshirt in all but sub zero temps………..

Kahurangi

Warm – SS top
    Cooler – LS top, can unzip lots and pull sleeves up
    V Cold – SS top and soft shell (supposedly) waterproof
    VV Cold – LS Thermal and soft shell.

Add gloves as appropriate. It has covered me ok foe long wet winter rides in the lakes although I suspect my do-everything WP softshell isn't as waterproof any more 😳

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘cooler/cold weather riding clothes (top half)’ is closed to new replies.