Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Coolbox advice needed please!
  • Spongebob
    Free Member

Anyone had any experience of those car battery operated chiller coolboxes? Do they do much, or just a gimmick mistake?

I’m going camping soon on a site that has no power and am worried how i’m gonna keep the beer cold for the 4 days! 😆

I’ll just have to hope there’s a cold stream nearby otherwise.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

some (most?) only cool to a few degrees below ambient, so if it’s redhot outside, your beer will still get warm

mustard
    Free Member

We use waeco(sp?) coolfreze boxes in work and they often come with me on camping trips. They chill well, probably even freeze, just make sure it’s not plugged in and drawing power while the engine isn’t running or your battery won’t last long.

Chuck a couple of frozen ice packs in there before you set off and the contents will probably still be pretty cold after a day of it being turned off, possibly even two.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Spongebob
    Free Member

Cheers mustard and paulosoxo! In the past I have tried freezing a couple of 1L Icecream cartons full of water and putting them in a standard coolobox, but they thaw out within 48 hours. Maybe if i do this with a Waeco, i’ll have a working solution.

Is yours like this one?

Looks pretty neat and only £40. I see they do a £15 battery monitor that shuts off the power when the battery gets low.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yeah, they’re good enough to be honest. Not like having a fridge but they certainly cool the beer down to a very drinkable temperature. Whatever size you’re thinking about, get the next biggest one…that’s all I’d say.

And, the more you keep in there, the cooler it stays once the car’s been switched off.

geoffj

what darcy says

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Drink ale at ambient temp?

Muke
    Free Member

Tried one that plugs into the car and ok but not as good as ….Igloo 40 Maxcold £30 @ Costco

Keeps ice frozen for 5 days.
    As mentioned the plug in type will drain your car battery quite quickly without the engine running to top up.
    The STW of all things camping

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Coolbox advice needed please!’ is closed to new replies.