Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • Cool SRAM Powerlink T-Shirt
  • anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Its a free font BTW

Is it free, or free for non-commercial use?

I’m not dissing the product or praising it either. I don’t care for it much one way or the other. I don’t think I’m being overly serious either. I’m just trying to stop you getting your fingers burnt by making sure you’re aware of all this stuff. It is an overly serious world, even if we’re not.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I’m not dissing the product

Ohhh listen to him getting down with da kidz..

😉

foxyrider
    Free Member

anotherdeadhero

I wasn’t singling you out dude – was just taking generally – I have mailed Tee Pay Copyright section as you may have a point RE: getting Howies… Hmmm – Tee Pay into trouble.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Ohhh listen to him getting down with da kidz..

Leave it grandad 🙄

MrAgreeable

The licence for most “free” fonts doesn’t cover commercial use. You are basically using an unlicenced image (not sure if you ‘shopping it a bit gives you the right to claim it as your own, but I doubt it), with an unlicenced font, to make a commercial product.

Re the design, each to their own, but IMO it’s drab and industrial, and the slogan is trying too hard to be clever. What do you want us to say?

I designed a T-shirt a while back, to promote the volunteer group I run. I used original artwork, not because I thought it would be better, just because breaching someone’s copyright on a product that’s basically meant to be displayed in public isn’t the most sensible idea.

Although some people roundly panned my art skills, I didn’t take that as a cue to tell them what defective human beings they were. Most of them sold wihtin a few months but I’ve still got a couple left if anyone wants one.

foxyrider
    Free Member

anotherdeadhero

So what is your take on the fonts supplied with most programs like word, os OS’s like microfost – are tehy free for non-commercial use?

Nope your right – free for personal use – oh well looks like I broke all the rules with this one then – back to drawing board.

I didn’t take that as a cue to tell them what defective human beings they were.

I think you are taking this too personally – I was just saying that most people criticise on STW TBPO – I think I was having a slight moan at todays society inc some STW posters.

Thats fine you commented on my design and gave me your opinion – my point was even if people (probe rare I know) did like it they are probably less likely to post it than ones who don’t as negative emmotions are often stronger then positive ones IMHO – i.e. people like to moadn and bitch more than going onto a forum to praise> Maybe I am jaded and wrong but have a look though many STW posts?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

My take on typography is that using free truetype rubbish makes your product look insanely cheap, nasty and amateur. So if you want to use something proper like helvetica rather than microsoft’s abortion job arial you better be willing to stump up for it and never ever do anything prepress in word, becuase its shit.

OK that was quite grumpy and serious, apologies.

MrAgreeable

if you want to use something proper like helvetica rather than microsoft’s abortion job arial

Like you can tell the difference 😉

foxyrider
    Free Member

Oh God I would never use word for anything like that IMHO – I guess you are in teh graphic design industry then ADH – somehow I get a sixth sense 😉

Oh well…………….. Back to the design board – sorry photoshop.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Like you can tell the difference

9/10, I’m happy with that. Its difficult with the caps, you don’t get the tell tale terminators.

MrAgreeable

6/10 here, and I’ve done that quiz before, and read the linked article. Clearly I am happy to be palmed off with an “inferior” font.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Bejeezus, typeface snobbery.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Oh yes mike, vil-commen to my verlde.

*laughs manically*

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Oh yes mike, vil-commen to my verlde.

*laughs manically*

WTF has publishing thinly disguised animal pr0n have to do with typeface snobbery?

😉

Great thread drift BTW.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Lose the type.
    Make it much smaller.
    Go for a more vectorized outline style.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Why thank you. Being a publisher, we do or buy in a fair amount of typography … and design …

foxy, if SRAM are OK with it, no reason why you shouldn’t go ahead. Just call their headoffice direct.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I am glad we are all friends now…….. Well – Nope I don’t want anything open to too much interpretation 🙂

Lose the type.
    Make it much smaller.
    Go for a more vectorized outline style.

Cheers Gazza

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Shame. It isn’t as shit as half the ‘krazee’ bike t shirts I see about. Better than most of howies recent efforts too.

Just needed some tweaks from a proper graphical designer like gary here and the OK from SRAM …

foxyrider
    Free Member

I can give you the .eps file Garry if ya like 😉

Oh BTW – can’t find a UK number for SRAM!

MrAgreeable

ADH, I think more ker-raziness is required although perhaps that’s just me. There is a line that can be crossed, like with ye olde Rox t-shirts. Even at the time they made my toes curl!

pjbarton
    Free Member

loose the type – the letter spacing IS poor
    and font is a bit naff
    posterise the image and print in 2 greys on a black t for a subtle look
    keep quite big – maybe only a little smaller (if subtle colours)

KINGTUT
    Free Member

ADH, I think more ker-raziness is required although perhaps that’s just me. There is a line that can be crossed, like with ye olde Rox t-shirts. Even at the time they made my toes curl!

ADH used to wear ROX t-shirts ::FACT::

foxyrider
    Free Member

I think the ‘Powerlink’ to me is very important – I use SRAM chains all teh time d.t. this fact – so easy to remove- clean, mount new cvhains and will sort you out on a long trip if ya chain snaps – I dislike Shimano chains for that veryfact – that was where I was comming from – and using it (i.e. easy to disconnect a chain) to mean chill out or get some time out on life? Obviously only I got it ?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

ADH used to wear ROX t-shirts ::FACT::

Aye, used to love them 🙂 Plenty of photographical evidence on facebook …

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Obviously only I got it ?

Oh no I get it. You need the text. I use shimano chains joined with a powerlink. SRAM chains have gone all pooh, used to be ace. Dura-ace chain is where it is at now.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I dislike Shimano chains for that veryfact

Err, you can use SRAM powerlinks on Shimano 9sp chains.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Dura-ace chain is where it is at now.

Yeah make sure it’s 10 speed for extra weenieness.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Err, you can use SRAM powerlinks on Shimano 9sp chains.

I had heard that but tried it on a recent chain and the pin on the powerlink didn’t fit thought the hole? ???

I’ll need to buy some new chains soon as used my last PC790 – interestingly it was 0ver .75 stretch after 5 months – cheers for that.

Shimano Dura Ace-XTR Chain 9 Speed 7701? As not paying £35 for a chain!

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Yeah make sure it’s 10 speed for extra weenieness.

Or just buy 9spd DA cos its cheap.

As not paying £35 for a chain!

Shop around. I picked some up a while ago for £15 a chain.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I had heard that but tried it on a recent chain and the pin on the powerlink didn’t fit thought the hole? ???

That sounds like you weer using an SRAM 8 or 10sp powerlink as they don’t fit, was the powerlink black or silver rather than gold?

MrAgreeable

Plenty of photographical evidence on facebook …

I’m off for a rummage…

MrAgreeable

…then I’m going to look on Facebook. Ba-dum, tish!

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Boom Boom!

(shake da room, tick tick tick!

*shrugs* same era innit?)

GaryLake
    Free Member

Oh, I got 8/10 on the helvetica/arial test – seeing as I’m a designer I’m relieved I didn’t’ fair any worse than that otherwise I might have to rethink my career choice LOL – it was the all caps that caught me out…

foxyrider
    Free Member

Nope twas a Gold link and def 9 speed – I’ll try again from your reccomendation – my powerlink fondness still stands 😉 £15 tis OK if I can find them!

foxyrider
    Free Member

emailed tee pay and they said they missed the SRAM lettering and logo – but otherwise fine so just removed the logo and SRAM anc changed the lettering so i’ll upload again to see what the critics say 😉

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Cool SRAM Powerlink T-Shirt’ is closed to new replies.