Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Cool Mountain Bike Challenge
  • MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Just wondered if anyone one here was doing it. Linky.
    It's this Sunday in Andover.
    I'm not part of the event, just a local so it'll be rude for me not to go. 🙂

thats_not_my_name
    Free Member

Whats the riding like round there? Worth the trip over from Surrey?

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

It will be heading towards Collingbourne Woods which will be single track then mainly bridleways with some stunning views. The North Hants/ Wilts/ Berks boarders are reasonably hilly and free draining. I've never done this so can't be sure of the route.
    This weeks forecast is ok so conditions should be good. Can get soggy in Collingbourne woods though.

robinbetts
    Free Member

Looks interesting… Might consider coming over from Cardiff. Wanted to get some riding in this weekend. It's called a "challenge", any idea how "challenging" it will be?

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

If you have a reasonable level of fitness and you don't mind climbing then you'll be okay. I think the course is around 45k.
    I did a local ride of about the same distance a few weeks ago and I started to fade towards the end and i'm not the fittest person.

JamesP
    Free Member

I rode it last year on a singlespeed. It was pretty muddy but OK. I don't remember there being anything particularly exciting (or difficult) about it but it made for a pleasant Sunday.

Word of advice – last year 'on the day' entries were ridiculous. It took us over an hour to pay and collect our number. One person doing the entries. Hopefully they will have sorted it this year but just in case get there early.

robinbetts
    Free Member

Might be worth a go then. When asking about difficulty I was thinking more of would be be worth doing rather than would it be too hard 😉

JamesP
    Free Member

@robinbetts – Its better than staying indoors but I doubt you'll find it particularly challenging.

Anecdotally, when I did it last year some guy fell off in front of me (front wheel slid in the mud) and ripped open his knee on his stem bolts. He went pale and shakey, so I decided to wait with him. Getting any sort of medical support was a nightmare and in the end I had to coax/help him down to the mainroad where he got picked up by a car and taken to hospital. Other than that it was OK. I wont be going back this year though.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Cool Mountain Bike Challenge’ is closed to new replies.