Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • CookingTrackWorld, recommend me recipes for…
  • tomhoward

A pasta sauce, that isn’t tomato based.

Not because I don’t like, or am allergic to the humble tomato or anything like that, I’m just bored of tomato based sauces!

So far I’ve tried spinach and ricotta, carbonara and a sort of creamy mushroom one.

Anything I’m missing out on?

meehaja
    Free Member

go to tesco, get some Sacla chargrilled aubergine pesto. Its incredible, but it seems to be tesco only.

nickhart
    Free Member

Olive oil, plenty of, warm it up and add very finely sliced garlic and a sprinkle of dried chilli. Heat it all through but DO NOT LET THE GARLIC BROWN TOO MUCH, it turns very quickly from a really punchy dish to nasty. As the garlic starts to let off its aroma option one is to add some balsamic vinegar, option two is finely chopped basil. After either of those ingredients go in chuck your freshly cooked (from the pan and water you cooked it in) straight in. Use a slotted spoon so you get a bit of the pasta water but not loads.
    Mix the pasta and the oil together, chuck on a plate with some grated cheese on top, not much though or a chunk of crusty bread.
    It’s a marmite dish, I love it my wife hates it. Works well cold too.
    Oops seasoning, black pepper before the basil.
    Works with fish too, simply grill the fish and then the pasta next to it. Squeeze of lemon, sorted.

mogrim

Carbonara?

2 cloves garlic, 4 rashers bacon, 2 eggs, handful of freshly grated parmesan.

Put the pasta on.

Fry the bacon (chopped into small bits) in a bit of olive oil, when it’s nearly done add the garlic and fry a bit more. You want them browned but not too crispy.

Beat the eggs in a bowl, add the parmesan.

When the pasta’s cooked, drain and chuck the eggs+parmesan and bacon+oil on top. Mix and cover for a couple of minutes.

Salt+pepper, and eat.

nicko74

I’ve got a couple. First is courtesy of Nigel Slater:
    take a pack of spicy sausages (the kind you barbecue), pour them out of their skins, fry them and mince them up as you do so.
    When cooked, add a glug of white wine, simmer a bit, add about 250ml of cream, 1 tbsp mustard, plus a pinch/sprinkle/big lump of dried chilli. Simmer, reduce a little, serve over pasta. Nom nom.

Second is courtesy of ‘er indoors:
    Fry a little garlic in olive oil, get some prawns, chuck them in, add a handful of chopped parsley, shuggle it all up, pour it into cooked spaghetti/ fettucine, mix through and let it steam for a couple of minutes.
    Tasty.

tomhoward

Cheers guys, salivating already!

Will give a couple a go over the weekend and report back!

petefromearth

this ones from river cafe, really quick

get the pasta on (shells work well)
    fry a couple of shallots (chopped) in some butter
    when they’ve browned add some water, then some frozen peas
    add a handful of chopped mint
    lay some prosciutto on top and simmer for a few minutes to cook the peas and ham
    get a handheld whizzer (if you have one) and roughly make a paste
    you can throw a few more peas in for texture
    add a dollop of creme fraiche and parmesan, season
    drain pasta & serve
    top with some more prosciutto
    nosh it down
    buon appetito!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

My Carbon O’Hara (geddit?)…actually, it’s Jamie Oliver’s.

Fry chopped streaky bacon, turn down heat and add thinly sliced onions, garlic and courgettes* (added later as easily over cooked). Cook pasta (Penne works well for this). Meanwhile, mix an egg, cream and a good bit of Parmesan (depending on taste).

A minute before it should be finished, remove, drain and add to the pan. Flick the pan in a top tv chef stylee, and add the mixture. Stir for a few seconds, but be careful not to overcook the egg.

Tada.

(I’m sure mogrim’s tastes just as good).

* A nice way to slice the courgette is to quarter one lengthways, then run a knife along each slice to take away the pithy centre (which can taste a bit bitter when cooked). This should leave you with flattish slices of courgette which you then slice diagonally – giving you “penne” shaped slices. Looks and tastes lovely.

For veggies, I make this lots without the bacon for mrs deadly – needs quite a bit of salt but is perfectly passable.

Also, if you’re bored of tomato based sauces, then add a few dollops of mascarpone.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘CookingTrackWorld, recommend me recipes for…’ is closed to new replies.