Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Cooking the perfect steak?
  • binners

Right you lot! Make yourself useful. Just about to go and buy two mahoosive steaks. For post pub nommage.

I’m cooking, so… Over to the STW culinary masters to tell me what to buy, any pointers for sauce/accompaniments, and more importantly the best way to cook a perfect steak

Off you go…..

qwerty
    Free Member

Hunt, kill, gut & skin, carve, refrigerate. Take out of fridge at least 30min before cooking, lightly smear with oil, get the griddle REALLY hot, (depending on thickness and how much blood you like) cook from 1-2 min per side WITHOUT moving once flipped, let it stand of another 1-2 min. EAT. Sleep. Repeat. Ugg.

Harry_the_Spider

My method.

Oil, salt & pepper on the cow
    Smokin’ hot pan
    2 minutes either side – don’t move it
    Rest for 5 minutes on a warm plate

scaredypants

have you got a George Foreman grill or not ?

seosamh77
    Free Member

out fridge 30 minutes

turn on the pan(no oil in the pan), full whack

rub sea salt, black pepper, rosemary and olive oil over both sides, fairly generously.

when the pan is starting to smoke, that’s yer cue.

1 minute each side. possibly 1.5 minutes tops if it’s a really thick steak. half a minute each side if it’s thin

rest for a few minutes.

Munch!

kevj
    Free Member

Pan fry (not deep fry to be a pedant). Season with salt and black pepper and allow to rise to room temp.

Fry in hot oil until <however you like it>.

Season again, rest it for five mins then serve.

seosamh77
    Free Member

scaredypants – Member 
    have you got a George Foreman grill or not ?

you should be barred from cooking steak if you use a george foreman.

scaredypants

seosamh – don’t you get all up in ma grill !

thepurist

scaredypants – that one’s a bit rare for my liking…

seosamh77
    Free Member

:mrgreen:

nickdavies

You’ve all forgotten the Bearnaise sauce…

Drac

NO!

Good steak does not need a sauce.

paladin

Hand it back to the butcher and head to a steakhouse

seosamh77
    Free Member

+1 drac!

binners

I do have a George Foreman grill. I wasn’t planning on getting it involved in proceedings. That’s for burgers, surely?

ronniethescot
    Free Member

165 gram fillet
    Vacuum pack with spring of thyme, knob of garlic confit.
    Sous vide for 47 mins at 55c
    Then colour the steak in a hot pan, along with plenty of seasoning, towards then end, add some diced butter, spoon the butter when melted over steak, remove from pan and rest in a hot area for 4/5 mins.

Easy peasy

winston_dog
    Free Member

George Foreman grills aren’t hot enough IME.

If you are going to be eating them tonight I wouldn’t bother putting in the fridge at all. A few hours at room temp isn’t going to harm them or you.

If you have got the time flash a charcoal BBQ up.

If it’s good steak don’t season at all.

If your a real man use beef dripping to cook them in. If not then just smear with a little mild olive oil and a dry pan.

Decide how long you are going to cook them for then turn only once halfway through.

Nonsense
    Free Member

You’ve all forgotten the Chimichurri!

2 big heaps of parsley leaves, chopped chilli, 2 crushed cloves garlic, teaspoon dried oregano, big glug of olive oil, big splash red wine vinegar, splash of water, pinch of salt flakes. Blitz the crap out of it. Single best thing to eat with steak ever.

scaredypants

I wasn’t serious about the GF

Of course, I only cook my kobe steaks on a griddle made of Fujian basalt, laser-carved into shape by a Japanese ninja griddlemaker, trained in the ancient art of bukkake

crikey
    Free Member

Cooked in a thick gravy, adulterated with other non-specified filling agents, wrapped in puff pastry, baked then left to keep warm under halogen heated shelving.

http://www.greggs.co.uk/menu/savoury/pasties-and-bakes/steak-bake-/

thebrowndog
    Free Member

As many steaks as there are, so too are there opinions on how they should be cooked.

I’d be sparking up the BBQ for flame grilled tenderness. Oil the BBQ, not the steak. A bit of salt and pepper is ok if you want but I don’t bother. BBQ nice and hot. Whack it on to sear one side then flip it over to sear the other. Don’t believe the story that you only turn it once. IMO, especially on a BBQ, that will result in one side over cooked and the under done. Cook it how you like it but time will depend on its thickness and indeed the cut. Let it rest for as long as you can stand the sight of it not being eaten.

No sauce, but you may have mustard. Please make it English. Dijon mustard is a crime against the laws of God and man.

Drac

How do you oil a BBQ surely it would fall through the grate? But yes ideally charcoal grilled would be great but a nice heavy duty grill pan is too.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

trained in the ancient art of bukkake

So now I’m confused, I thought we’d settled on no sauce!

AndyPaice
    Free Member

that’s how to cook a steak:-)

thebrowndog
    Free Member

How do you oil a BBQ surely it would fall through the grate? But yes ideally charcoal grilled would be great but a nice heavy duty grill pan is too.

I just put a bit of oil on a plate, dip an old paint brush into it and smear it over the grill. Not too much or it’ll fire up and be smokey till it burns off.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

No salt until after it’s cooked. Salt draws the moisture out, you want to keep the moisture IN by quickly searing both sides and all edges first. IMHO of course. Worcestershire sauce if one so fancies, or a decent English mustard.

binners

Right! Fillet steak seasoned (half price at the butchers counter in Morrisons at the moment, if you’re interested), big chunky chips in the fryer, and controversially; a peppercorn sauce on the go. Was tempted to fire the Barby up, but stayed in the pub too long. It shall be briefly introduced to a very hot pan shortly 🙂

Thanks all ( especially Drac)

Harry_the_Spider

Photos please or it didn’t happen.

Drac

No worries it comes up here often so saved a bit time waiting.

Oh and whilst Morrisions meat isn’t too bad please find yourself a good butcher steak from a butcher is far far better.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

For me its all about getting quality meat and basting with butter – no sense in trying to make a steak healthy (though I believe butter is good for you again), have it less frequently and invest in better meat. Let it come unto room temperature. Cook in a pan basting with butter. If its a thick cut, finish off in the oven. If it has an edge of fat, properly cook the fat until its crispy. Season well and rest before eating. I like mine with a nice bearnaisse sauce or just Colemans English Mustard and decent Red wine. Chips and peas and/or Broccoli.

binners

Drac – I normally get all our meat from the butchers on a Saturday morning – everything comes from within 12 miles of here. But this was a spur of the moment one. Morrisons is not too bad. At least it’s actually got a proper butcher in there.

Oh…. Nice Rioja to go with it 😀

Drac

Aye that’s true I think that’s why it’s Ok but not great.

john_drummer
    Free Member

good call on the peppercorn sauce. for the chips of course

beefheart
    Free Member

Use a heavy griddle pan.
    Get it seriously hot, smear some olive oil and pepper on your steak, and slam it on for a couple of minutes each side.
    It tastes better stripey.

binners

Bloody hell, that were good!!!!! BUUUUUURP

And in a blokish moment of cluelessness I put the onion rings in the halo fryer thing with the chips. They basically disintegrated and coated the chips. We’re both in agreement that as happy accidents go, this one takes some beating! I’d recommend giving it a go! 🙂

edhornby

I like ribeye because you get effectively 2 cuts, some rump and some loin on either side of the ‘eye’

whilst the steak is resting, a very small knob of butter in the pan, run it round to get the last of the juices out and drizzle on to the steak

grum
    Free Member

Tesco have some really nice 28 day aged steaks on 3 for 2 at the moment. Great marbling of fat through them.

You all seriously need to follow this guy’s advice:

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/steakhouse_steaks.html

No really – he’s massively nerdy about cooking meat and has scientifically tested it all. I’ve followed his instructions on these steaks from Tesco and they were some of the best I’ve ever eaten. He’s talking about doing it on a BBQ but I used an oven and a griddle pan which I got as hot as I dared.

Heston Blumenthal says you should keep flipping them regularly so I did that too.

I also made a ‘board sauce’ using parsley, lemon juice, an anchovy, salt and pepper, capers and olive oil to dress it with at the end – as well as deglazing the pan with some butter and herbed white wine vinegar I made up a while ago.

I would definitely salt the meat at least an hour before cooking and wrap back up in cling film – doesn’t dry it out at all. I used some smoked sea salt.

No salt until after it’s cooked. Salt draws the moisture out, you want to keep the moisture IN by quickly searing both sides and all edges first.

Both myths according to meathead.

1) An hour or two before cooking pat the meat thoroughly dry with a paper towel. Sprinkle salt on on both sides of the meat. Put it back in the fridge. If you have a small wire grate that can hold the meat above a plate so air circulates, all the better. If not flip the meat after 30 to 60 minutes.

2) The salt draws out moisture which dissolves the salt. See how the meat has become shiny with moisture in the middle picture?

3) The meat reabsorbs the moisture (and much of the juices that have leaked out) bringing the salt in with it. Notice how the color of the fat at right has changed where the salt has soaked in.

winston_dog
    Free Member

some rump and some loin on either side of the ‘eye’

Sorry Ed your mistaken. The rib eye comes from the “front end” between the loin and the shoulder. It’s why it tastes so good, more fat than rump and loin!

TheDTs
    Free Member

+1 on the sous-vide method. Easier than it may sound. You just need zip lock bags and a thermometer.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Cooking the perfect steak?’ is closed to new replies.