• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Cooking Steak on a Cobb Barbecue
  • thegeneralist
    Free Member

One of the many pieces of shit advice I’ve taken from STW was to buy a Cobb barbecue (or whatever it technically is).
    It’s quite good for doing a few sausages, or some limp vegies, but it’s utterly useless for a steak. It just slowly cooks it to death without it ever getting brown.

Was planning to drill a couple more holes in the base in a desparate attempt to get a bit more heat out of it before flinging the damn thing in the bin and buying the Weber portable that wasn’t available at the time I bought the Cobb.

Anyone tried that, anyone got any better suggestions to cook a decent steak on it?

Drac

What plate are you using it, what coals?

Cooked cracking steaks on ours with grill and charcoal ovals.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

using the standard non stick plate whatsit with a few small holes and grooves in it.
    More recently using charcoal lumps since I assumed they burn hotter due to the higher surface area. Maybe they don’t?

I don’t recall the briquettes being any better, but maybe I had rubbish ones.

Recommendations for briquettes?

cheers

RustyNissanPrairie

Genuine Cobb (Le?) stones or Australian heat beads.

lambchop
    Free Member

Lumpwood Charcoal for steaks. Briquettes for low indirect cooking. You can achieve awesome steaks on a budget by getting a BBQ chimney starter light a load of Lumpwood. Wait for it to fully ignite then place a grate over the top of the chimney. It burns mega hot and cooks steaks brilliantly!

spooky_b329

The Cobb coconut fuel burns hotter, and there is a thick griddle you can get instead of the standard thin surface.

Drac

I use lots of the briquettes as many as I can squeeze in. Bought some the beads but not used them yet, I’ve also a chimney for lump in case of emergencies.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Cooking Steak on a Cobb Barbecue’ is closed to new replies.