Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Cooking Mackerel
  • big-chief-96
    Free Member

Got four fresh mackerel that I just caught. Bored of frying fish in tin foil etc. and want a proper meal out of them.

What recipes you got?

bollard
    Free Member

in the oven tin foil salt pepper and butter

ton

bbq

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Aye, BBQ them.

Gut, then fill the cavity with some lemon and a little rosemary from the garden. Coat them in a little olive oil, then simply cook on the BBQ.

Top nommage.

iDave
    Free Member

boiled in bucket of sea water over a fire on the beach

joolsburger
    Free Member

Grill them with nothing, season and eat. I caught several in Salcombe on Wednesday and they were delicious as they were.

llama

BBQ yum

Roast new potatoes, thick sliced onion, lemon, fennel. Stick the mackeral filets on top for the last 15 mins. Thats from Hewwhatsisface's fish book. Loads of other recepies for mackerel in that, its tip top.

Kevevs
    Free Member

catch 'em, gut 'em, heads off. straight on the fire. fresh fish! mmmmm!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

jools, I hope you were out beyond Wolf Rock….! Never take them from in the estuary, they're bottom feeders! 😉

Ah, happy days of spinning for them from the back of the yacht under sail, gutting them on the way back in, then grilling 'em on Millbay…! 😉

TheFlyingOx

Kedgeree. Breakfast of champions.

joolsburger
    Free Member

We were out a good long way with a friends dad who lives there. Got 9 good Macks about a half a dozen Pollock and 2 good sized Bass. A good day out..

Pollock are a bit dull and need some flavours but the Mackerel were seriously tasty and as for the Bass……

beefy

Coat them in egg, then loads of pepper and oats (porridge), then fry, amazing!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Pollock do best in a slow cooked fish stew.

Whereabouts in Salcombe were you? I sort of grew up there….!

joolsburger
    Free Member

A house in Herbert Road it was a really good week although the weather was a bit variable.

Kids loved it but it's getting seriously expensive down there.

Did Thai fish cakes with the Pollock, very tasty..

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Nice. My time was on the other side of the estuary. We sold up and moved out of there many years ago. What's scary now is the price the house/beach would have sold for now. Mad money. I've rather gone off Salcombe as a result, sadly. It used to be a lovely place where peple went to sail and where people really lived. Nowadays it's almost totally Birmingham and London money and no one can live there. Sad. The Helford down in Cornwall feels rather like what Salcombe used to be, a lovely little estuary where people go to sail, fish, play on beaches and look in rockpools.

I miss what the Salcombe estuary used to be. 🙁

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

pan, lots of buttter, gut the fish, chuck them in, wait till cooked, enjoy 🙂

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Curry em…. fry up some onions and garlic add tomatoes, ginger, chilli and any other curry spices you have around. Cover the fish in the sauce and bake in oven for 20 mins or so. Serve with rice.

Or

Chop up ginger, spring onions and coriander, add some dried chilli, soy sauce and lime. Maybe some Thai fish sauce too. Stuff the fish with the herbs, wrap in foil and pour over the rest of the juice as a marinade. Close up the parcels and leave in the fridge for an hour or so and then bake in oven as above or stick on barbie.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I'm from Surrey and am used to getting ripped off but even so Salcombe was very, very dear. Lots of expensive cars and expensive people. Whole place seemed to buy clothes in Jack Wills.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I quite like the sound of this:- Soused Mackerel

Twin
    Free Member

Fish drink their own wee and eat their own poo. Chuck them in the bin. Buy some proper food. Like pot noodle.

findo_gask
    Free Member

Escabeche like this…

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Cooking Mackerel’ is closed to new replies.