Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Cooking for "difficult" eaters
  • MrNutt
    Free Member

I promise I'm not trolling, I have to cook for a vegetarian & someone with an eating disorder (no fat), can someone please suggest something, I was going to go down the lines of a huge meze platter but was told by them "thats not a real meal" PFFT!!

any suggestions, I know me way around a kitchen.

wombat

Honey sandwiches? 🙂

MrNutt
    Free Member

does she?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wombat

If you ask nicely 😉

BoardinBob

Viz Top Tips offers the best advice

Vegetarians coming to dinner? Simply serve them a nice bit of steak or veal. Since they're always going on about how tofu, Quorn, meat
    substitute, etc "tastes exactly like the real thing," they won't know
    any difference.

wwaswas

winter vegetable stew?

sofatester
    Free Member

eating disorder (no fat)

All fats or just saturated? Is it a serious disorder or are they just "big boned" and fussy about calorie intake (whilst still drinking coke and putting sugar in there tea)?

Stoner
    Free Member

stuffed peppers/tomatoes? (Stuff with rice, herbs, shrooms, etc etc)

For the more normal people drizzle with Olive Oil

For the really normal people add prosciutto

uplink
    Free Member

Just do burgers for everyone & leave out the actual burger for the fussies

z1ppy

m8 did a vegetarian chilli for a party the other week that was very nice* as some of the guests were vegetarians. I can't see there any fat in that? (or am I blind?)

* would have been nicer with some meat in it IMO.

mtbfix

Friend of ours has a very 'French' attitude to this, she being French. If folk are coming to her house to eat her food then they can bloody well eat what she cooks them or go hungry. If 8 people are coming to dinner then, she reasons, why should 7 suffer or one have to have a special meal cooked? I like her attitude.

Kato

an apple

tragically1969
    Free Member

If 8 people are coming to dinner then, she reasons, why should 7 suffer or one have to have a special meal cooked?

Erm, because somtimes you want to do nice things for your friends ?

djglover
    Free Member

Just punch them in the face

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

wild mushroom risotto. I'm a confirmed carnivore, and dont feel like I've had a proper meal unless some unfortunate creature's died for my pleasure (!), but this always fits the bill. I wouldnt worry to much about the vegetarian, it's the fussy no fat eater that needs a good shoeing.

crankboy
    Free Member

As a vegitarian i think the meze idea as ace and will cater for all needs> just serve loads of wine and beer too .

What is the no fat issue as most food contain some fat and you need fat to live?

nonk
    Free Member

why does the no meat thing pose such a problem for people 🙄
    they are not difficult eaters its just a lack of ability with food on your part if you ask me.
    and dont roll your eyes at the aresy veggie cos i aint.

sofatester
    Free Member

dont roll your eyes at the aresy veggie cos i aint

I will roll them because you are just arsey instead 🙄

uplink
    Free Member

why does the no meat thing pose such a problem for people

I don't think it does – it just means that the veggies [effectively] dictate what the other have to eat.
    Selfish tw*ts, the lot of 'em 🙂

MrNutt
    Free Member

very helpful nonk, care to suggest something from your clearly superior arsenal of culinary skills?

allthepies
    Free Member

Pop out to some local fields, find some weeds and mushrooms (any type will do). Chop 'em all up and stirfry them, for the no-fat person just serve them raw.

Sorted.

funkynick

Surely the mezze platter would have loads of olive oil everywhere, which if someone is avoiding fat could be an issue…

At a guess they are taking those fat-loss tablets, so bad things could happen if they eat much fat!

nonk
    Free Member

sorry man your right not vey helpfull.
    do em some brown rice or other grain served with a single pot winter veg stew. season it with a bit of shoyu and ginger thicken the liquid from the pot with a bit of kuzu or cornstarch if its all you have. serve it with the gloop poured over yhe veg and it will make a good shiney glaze.
    you could do em a beany side dish thing as well make it sweet whith a good quality syrup (barley or corn) and try and have a good pickle to go with it like sourkrout.
    actually fry some tempeh rather than the bean thing cos its easy.
    will that do?
    make a pudding with stawberrys and apple juice you can set this with agar it will be as good as any jelly. maybe get a soya based custard to go with it.
    best of luck.
    the style of veg cooking i am on about is called nishime. if you do it with a veg stock rather than water it will be awsome.
    do this sort of thing for the mrs bookclub all the time and they love it.
    its an ecclectic mix of lasses from vegans to total meat munchers.
    sorry to be arsey but i do think that meat and fat are indulgent things that should be munched rarely not the other way round.
    good luck.

MrNutt
    Free Member

nah I was thinking of putting three different olive oils (and also some with a selection of balsamic) in some ramekins so they could pick and choose. I fear that idea is dead in the water.

maybe some cabbage parcels containing leek, rice, cashew nuts and mushrooms?

MrNutt
    Free Member

nice one nonk, I'll look into nishime! cheers!

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Just make sure that when you go round to theirs, you point out your own special dietary requirements, that you *have* to eat something with lots of meat and fat – like a nice big juicy piece of gammon!

gusamc
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/fireroastedmediterra_5252.shtml

*see search/vege tickbox carry on

well I like them – not sure about the no fat carry on.
    you can pad with whatever, they can pad with couscous or whatever else has no fat ????????????

nonk
    Free Member

If you want aload of that sort of stuff up your sleeve get a macrobiotic cookbook thats where you will find all the best tasting stuff.loads of it works well with meat aswell.

vanilla83
    Free Member

mtbfix – Member

Friend of ours has a very 'French' attitude to this, she being French. If folk are coming to her house to eat her food then they can bloody well eat what she cooks them or go hungry. If 8 people are coming to dinner then, she reasons, why should 7 suffer or one have to have a special meal cooked? I like her attitude.

What utter bullsh*t. Thats not a french attitude, that's her being a selfish host. I lived in france for a number of years and ALL of the people who cooked for me (or others) would go out of their way to cater for different people.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I saw the local pet superstore was doing good deals on Trill at the moment.

TN
    Free Member

I was going to go down the lines of a huge meze platter but was told by them "thats not a real meal" PFFT!!

I would say if you are cooking for them and they are your guests then that's a really rude thing to say.
    Also, I think it is a cracking idea. Me and J often cook mezes as a complete meal. (And I usually get to have left over pittas and home made hummous for lunch the next day. 🙂 Bonus )
    There are so many items you can make that the veggie, the 'fat-free' person and the meat eaters will all have plenty to choose from.
    You can get 0% fat greek yoghurt too.

Just do it!

jon1973
    Free Member

If folk are coming to her house to eat her food then they can bloody well eat what she cooks them or go hungry

I'd probably decline her invitation to come to dinner.

finbar
    Free Member

Vegan chili, and maybe find some really dark chocolate (several vegan types to choose from) to throw in there to make it a bit more interesting.

iDave
    Free Member
    brassneck

Penne al Arrabiata

Onion, Garlic, fresh tomatoes and chillis for the sauce. Lots of olive oil too, can't help with the 'fat free' that sounds bollocks to me.

Some nice fresh pasta

Make some bread and garlic butter, and a rocket,spinach and red onion salad.

Easy cheap and lovely speaking as a veggie of 20 odd years

ourmaninthenorth

I was going to go down the lines of a huge meze platter but was told by them "thats not a real meal"

You have three options:

1. Disinvite said ignorant person. Tell the remaining guests they had cancelled on you at the last minute.

Or

2. Kill and eat the vegetarian in front of the no fatty, and tell them they're next unless they tuck in.

Or

3. Tell them AA Gill has also been invited and is bring his most recent hunting "trophy" with him.

Solved. 😀

juan
    Free Member

What utter bullsh*t.

Agree as well I try as much as I can to accommodate other people food requirement. Even if it's mean spending double time in the kitchen.

MrsMugsy
    Free Member

yeah utter bull

if I have a group of friend for dinner with one veggie. I'll make a veggie meal.
    crap attitude to make people feel like they're party poopper or to single them out.
    and you can do great meals with no meat.

uplink
    Free Member

Personally, I wouldn't dream of telling someone who'd invited me for dinner that I had 'requirements'
    I'd simply eat the bits I wanted & leave the rest

Next time I get such an invite, I may ring them to let them know what I do & don't like 🙄

Kramer
    Free Member

Vegetarian curry is nice and tasty.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Cooking for "difficult" eaters’ is closed to new replies.