Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Cooking cod fillet
  • billytinkle
    Free Member

I have a lovely and large cod fillet in the fridge for this evening. Any tips on the best way to cook it?

BigJohn

Nothing better than salt pepper and butter over it and sticking under the grill. I’d love to suggest something fancier involving making your own fish stock from scratch and making a sauce with shallots Ricard noilly prat and cream. But its better done plain with some new potatoes and peas.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I like to steam it.

However, I use an electric steamer and cook it outside, so it doesn’t stink the house out.

Keep it simple.

jota180
    Free Member

A nice bit of beer batter and deep fry it

anagallis_arvensis

Mush it up, form into rectangles cover in breadcrumbs and grill…

durhambiker
    Free Member

Slice some chorizo and gently fry, then chuck some torn up bits of white bread into the pan, coat with the oil from the chorizo and fry for a bit longer. Blitz that lot up with some herbs, and press it onto the top of the cod. Chuck it in the oven for a bit.

mattrgee
    Free Member

Wrap it in foil with a crushed clove of garlic, some olive oil, seasoning and a large chunk of lemon. Stick it in oven for a bit, enjoy!

dannyh
    Free Member

Half and half mix of olive oil and lemon juice, a very light sprinkling of chopped oregano and grill.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Lightly season, add a bit of lemon juice, then wrap it in Parma ham (or bacon) and chuck it in the oven for twenty minutes.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

If it’s skin on, get a non stick pan, BIG dab of butter, bt of salt and pepper, and fry on a med heat spooning the butter over the top regularly until it’s cooked. Don’t flip it over. The skin will go crispy and edible, and the flesh will be buttery and soft and yum.

If it’s skinless, I prefer the slice it into rectangles (DON’T much up as someone above said! You lose the lovely flakes that way), flour/egg/breadcrumb (with pepper, lemon zest, paprika) and shallow fry.

Mmmmm

anagallis_arvensis

I prefer the slice it into rectangles (DON’T much up as someone above said! You lose the lovely flakes that way),

LOL

BigJohn

How was it? I hope you were able to savour the delights of the fish instead of being overwhelmed by all the other stuff.

I like strong flavours (just finished a gorgeous peppered steak with cream & brandy sauce and griddled asparagus, home made of course) but good cod can stand alone in majesty.

The piece of cod which passeth all understanding.

tomkerton
    Free Member

Stick some pesto on it, wrap it in foil and give it 15-20 mins in the oven.

billytinkle
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice. We went with simple oil, salt and lemon and it was absolutely delicious! Best piece of fish I’ve had in a long time.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Cooking cod fillet’ is closed to new replies.