Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Cooking a dog
  • sandwicheater

Sorry, not recipe suggestions.

Does anyone’s dog have an amazing resilience to heat?

Our dog (see photo) laid next to the fire for a good couple of hours with head a few inches from it. I could last about 2 minutes before me hand became uncomfortable.

She doesn’t have much brain in that head but was amazed.

[/url]
    Untitled by sandwicheater, on Flickr[/img]

martinhutch

Turn it over. Looks almost done.

bruneep

Still waiting for Santa are we?

bikebouy
    Free Member

I had 2 Spaniels and Banger would stick his head in a teeny gap between the Aga and the wall whilst Mashie would lie in front of the Aga with his back against it.

It was a hot Aga.

If the fire was on you could almost see steam rising from both thier coats as they too like yours lay across the harth.

Miss both of them like mad I do..

chewkw
    Free Member

That’s normal.

In the far east dogs will sun bath under 35C direct sun light.

They would do that deliberately and when you touch them after their sun bathing session their fur can be extremely hot but nothing to concern them.

🙂

woody2000

I’d imagine your average black lab brain resembles a dried up dog biscuit anyway, so no harm done 🙂

crossland
    Free Member

Weimaraners are notorious for it, the mother of the one i had had a burn down her back from lying too close to
    a radiator pipe

richc
    Free Member

no sense, no feeling.

McHamish
    Free Member

My mum used to have a stove that was set off the ground.

The cat used to sit under it with it’s head an inch from the bottom of the stove.

She’d stagger out after a while and flump down a foot or so away from the stove…then after a while go back under.

I don’t know how it didn’t cook her brain.

andyl
    Free Member

A few hours earlier it was a yellow lab…

vorlich
    Free Member

You’d think they’d be more resilient to hot cars.

andyl
    Free Member

You can finish off the topping on a creme brulee with a grill but you wouldn’t try it in a pressure cooker!

thebrowndog
    Free Member

Speaking of cooking dogs.

Many years ago two of my mates were travelling back from Korea in nice comfy business class seats where they were offered a choice of meals: “Duck or pork?” asked the heavily accented flight attendant. Andrew took the duck. Tony took the duck. The pork was great but the duck very strange, so Tony called the flight attendant back over.

“Sorry to bother you but how did you cook the duck?”

“Duck? Duck? No, no duck, quack quack. Is dock – bow wow.”

Those were the days.

rockhopperbike

Our Weimaraner lays with his feet to the hearth, and his back is wet with sweat- dirty bugger

simmy
    Free Member

I’ve a black lab that has no feelings of pain in his main body at all. The only time I’ve known him in pain was when he had a nail bed infection.

He’s head butted bus stops without flinching and regular sets his coat on fire by getting too close to the gas fire.

Many a time he’s had brown patches on his coat were its been on fire. Hair on fire is a horrible smell. He’s never even moved away I’ve had to pull him away when I’ve smelt him burning.

I keep a close eye on him now.

scaredypants

can’t please them all, but I lolled

stavromuller
    Free Member

Our lab/collie used to lie with her head next to the radiator and wouldn’t go out if it was raining but would actually stick her head under water if you threw a rock in a pool. Dumbest dog we ever had.

user-removed
    Free Member

My local pub used to have a resident Great Dane – the owner brought it in early on Winter days and bag the table in front of the big, open fire. The stupid lump used to literally sizzle and his owner used to put him out by pouring beer on him.

They stopped coming in one week – I suspect the dog dragged his owner off a cliff / under a car. So the space in front of the fire is fair game again but all dogs have been relegated to the snug – not unbearable 🙂

andytherocketeer

my old cat would be stretched out on those heat tiles. burned my hand on its fur once or twice. it would happily find a thermonuclear explosion “nice and cosy and warm”.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

standard for a black lab behaviour.
    i grew up with open coal fires and my mum would often tell me to “drag the dog away, she is starting to catch again” there would be wisps of smoke and the dog would be too hot to touch, you had to drag her away by the feet. for which you would get a dirty look off the dog

mattbee

Stavromuller, our Springer/Lab is exactly the same.

globalti
    Free Member

Yep…. our cat creeps round the back of the stove, lies down for a while then comes out and flops down somewhere cooler. Mad.

boxelder

Lucky it’s not a chocolate lab.
    OP’s hearth is uncannily like our old house. Not Buxton perchance?

boxelder

Lucky it’s not a chocolate lab.
    OP’s hearth is uncannily like our old house. Not Buxton perchance?

Pigface
    Free Member

My old Staff used to lie infront of the open fire and be panting like mad, he would get so hot you could hardly touch him. Eventually he would get up and go and lie like a frog on the tiles in the hallway to cool down. Then would repeat the process.

redwoods
    Free Member

We’ve definitely got one of those too 🙂

His nose dried up, his fur became too hot to touch but he was totally happy.

He worships the heat in any form though. A holiday cottage we stayed in one year had a conservatory attached that got the sun on it most of the day to the extent it became too hot to sit in there, but for that week it was his most favourite place ever and we’d often find him lying in there fast asleep or panting his dotty little head off.

redwoods
    Free Member

Ahhh Pigface, your old staff sounds exactly like ours (he’s a staffy cross something…labrador probably)

thegreatape
    Free Member

Ikea rug?

sandwicheater

Ikea rug indeed, cheaper to get something we don’t mind the dog slowly turning into a festering stink matt. Replace once a year.

It’s odd, she’s a choc lab/springer cross but almost impossible to get a photo of her that doesn’t make her look black. Her coast seems to actively adsorb all light. Would explain why all food gravitates to her, she must be made from dark matter.

Huddersfield boxelder, fitted ourselves with much swearing and frustration.

bellys
    Free Member

If the heating is on the Dalmatian leans on rads head on top with his body on the side, if the fire is on he stands in front of it taking all the heat until you turn it off then he sulks with us.

jackthedog
    Free Member

These pics are great. As a counterpoint to all these stories, the inlaw’s working cocker leaves the room and goes and lays on the cold kitchen tiles even if the radiators are barely warm. Yet he’ll run and swim in freezing rivers all day, and would rather sit in the rain in the garden than be inside. It’s like he actually hates being even remotely comfortable, warm, clean or dry.

On a day working he would likely send himself into hypothermia if he wasn’t forced to dry off and warm up regularly.

richc
    Free Member

Our Weimaraner lays with his feet to the hearth, and his back is wet with sweat- dirty bugger

Dogs don’t have sweat glands in their skin like we do, they sweat via their pads (and use panting as well to control their body temperature).

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

IMAG0230 by Bruce Ritchie, on Flickr

IMAG0514 by Bruce Ritchie, on Flickr

and dont forget to turn the beast over for even cooking

IMAG0538 by Bruce Ritchie, on Flickr

PaddyMcG
    Free Member

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Cooking a dog’ is closed to new replies.