Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Cookies anyone?
  • ohnohesback
    Free Member

Since I downloaded an extension to Firefox that destroys cookies I’m astonished at how many of them inhabit this site. I’m getting near-constant notifications that more of them have bitten the dust

allthepies
    Free Member

Ads, google stuff, forum login details*, yadda yadda.

There’s a lot of ’em about 🙂

*no, not password 😉

saxabar
    Free Member

I use Ghostery (a browser extension) which shows up most of the data miners. Have to say, there’s usually a lot on STW and given I’m a full subscriber having covert data collection is a bit iffy, although oddly only Google Analytics and OpenX is showing at the moment.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    footflaps

Try the Guardian Newspaper (or Telegraph), they give Ghostery a hernia cleaning up all the nonsense trying to glean information about you..

Cougar

Think I’d rather have cookies than near-constant notifications.

footflaps

You can change the notification settings in things like Ghostery, the default is way too long and is pretty irritating. I’ve set mine to 1 second.

patricksingletrack
    Free Member

Hi saxabar,
    The only cookies on this site are login-status and ordering type ones and those from the ad networks.

If you’ve Premier and you’ve got Ads reduced you should just get the Google Analytics and the OpenX ones. OpenX is not a third party, it’s the open-source software we have installed on our own servers to deliver house and contracted ads.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Try the Guardian Newspaper

Came in to say this. Worth noting that the Guardian took the lead on the Snowden NSA/GCHQ spying thingy and have loads of spys, or trackers, on their own website.

saxabar
    Free Member

Hi Patrick – thanks. No problem with the OpenX and Google Analytics ones 🙂

saxabar
    Free Member

Sorry, just to add for anyone interested – check out Collusion too as this visualises how data miners, third-parties and first parties all link up. Genuinely quite a revelation.

saxabar
    Free Member

STW towers – can you have a look at your Premier settings again as I have AddThis, Doubleclick and Scorecard (along with Google Analytics and OpenX) tracking data from here. Cheers!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Cookies anyone?’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts