Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Cookery Day/Weekend Course in Newcastle or Northumberland
  • GrahamS

My missus has started getting right into cooking, especially soups, stews and cakes. I suspect it's some kind of maternal nesting instinct with the little one on its way.

Anyways, never one to discourage a good thing, I was wondering about getting her a cookery course type thing for her chrimbo.

Not a full-on night school diploma or anything, just one of these full day or weekend courses, where a bunch of ordinary folk get shown how to make a few nice things by decent chefs.

Does anyone know of anything like that in Newcastle or Northumberland area?

cxi
    Free Member

I know it's not the right area but if you fancied making a weekend of it, then I can recommend these places in Staveley (Lake District)

Cooking : Lucy Cooks – http://www.lucycooks.co.uk/
    Bed / Food / Drink – Eagle & Child Inn : http://www.eaglechildinn.co.uk/

Lucy Cooks is in the same yard as Wheelbase, both walking distance from the Eagle & Child (always been excellent for me).

My girlfriend has been to Lucy Cooks twice now (with her Mum + Sister) and had two excellent days.

gazc
    Free Member

funny you mention that my girlfriend has been thinking of setting something up in the toon but will be in the distant future really

the life long learning centre at the uni may have some contacts?

GrahamS

Best I've found so far is this nice Karen lady in Berwick-upon-Tweed:
    http://www.westcoates.co.uk/cookery.htm

But I was more thinking something like the Nick Nairn classes

Drac

I think there was something at Matfen Hall Graham but that may be no more.

GrahamS

Good tip Drac, but sadly they do seem to have stopped.
    Found the lady that was doing them: http://www.janelovett.com/demonstrations.php

Sounds like she still does some from home, but they are more "demonstration" than hands-on learning.

Drac

Yeah that name sounds right but have a feeling there may be someone in Matfen itself too. Maybe I'm mistaken.

GrahamS

Well this thread now shows up on the first page of Google results when looking for cookery course in Northumberland, so if anyone is interested I ended booking one at Swinton Park hotel in Ripon, North Yorks (through Virgin Experience Days).

Not exactly local, but it'll make a nice weekend break. 😀

midgebait
    Free Member

I agree with Graham S about Swinton Park. I got married there a few years back. Very nice venue and the food is really pleasant.

I'm not a chefist myself but I believe one of the Two Fat Ladies from tv runs courses there?

You can always do a Blacksheep or Theakstons brewery tour at the same time 😉

Hi everyone, I know this is a pretty old thread, but I wanted to tell you about my brand new business, Experience North Country, as we now organise cookery classes, which take place at Dissington Hall, near Ponteland, Northumberland, only 9 miles from Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Our first hands-on cookery classes are available in October 2010 and we plan to hold them on a regular basis from then on, using some fab chefs from the region. It's mad there are currently no other cookery schools within 60 miles of Newcastle! Our classes make great gifts too, so do check back in time for Birthday's or Christmas 2010! Ooh and I noticed you mentioned brewery tours too – you might be interested in our full day tour of the 'Breweries of West Northumberland' on Saturday 4th September – don't know of anyone else doing tours like this – it will be a fantastic day!

GrahamS

Gah! It's alive. Zombie thread hijacked for spam!

Sorry Mr Country, they are not too keen on random unsolicited advertising on here.

At least it was relevant though 🙂

Oh no, I didn't appreciate that, I just thought it might be of interest, given the conversation you guys were having! If you tell me how to remove my post I will straight away! Thanks!

GrahamS

No probs. 🙂 You can't remove posts here, but I wouldn't worry. I'm not about to report it as it was at least pretty relevant.

Just don't be too surprised if the mods find it and decide to remove it.

Nice website by the way, you've gained at least one possible future customer 😀

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Cookery Day/Weekend Course in Newcastle or Northumberland’ is closed to new replies.