Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Convince me an iPhone is an upgrade?!
  • scuzz
    Free Member

You can always print your own girls too?

I like you, you’re my new favourite.

Cougar

Double-edged sword, isn’t it.

In the Android camp, you don’t get (relatively) many model-specific accessories, so you often have to make do with “universal large smartphone” mounts etc. However, when you upgrade handests the chances are that everything you own will still work / fit.

With Apple, because there’s only one device to cater for, things like Graham’s bike mount, radio docks etc are exactly tailored for that device. However, when the iPhone 5 (or whatever) is released, everything you own which interacts physically with the device will need to be either adapted or replaced. Unless, of course, you bought generic accessories in the first place.

Historically the Apple devices have been (largely) electrically compatible, so typically a docking station would be supplied with a selection of plastic surrounds to secure the 3GS, 4, 4S etc. But there’s no guarantee that this will always be the case, as the rumoured new port would attest (and no guarantee that third parties can or will release new adapters for old add-ons, either).

Which is more important is really a matter of personal preference. Personally, I think it’s a non-issue either way. I rarely if ever plug my phone into anything other than a power source and I can live without a wide selection of Hello Kitty phone cases (TBH I don’t really understand why people would pay a premium for a sleek, slim device and then immediately double its size with some cheap rubberised cover and an ill-fitted bubbly screen protector, but maybe that’s just me). So in terms of influencing my purchase choice I’d choose an iPhone, Android or a.n.other device based on their relative merits, the availability of after-market accessories and assorted tat is fairly low on my list of priorities.

My OH has several cases for her iPhone, I have the official HTC slip case for my Sensation. For her, choice is important, in the same way that many girls desire n+1 pairs of shoes. For me, I just need a case to protect my phone, so long as it looks vaguely professional and doesn’t add too much bulk, I’m sorted; it doesn’t need to match my handbag. Horses for courses.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

You can’t change the battery on apple stuff, so that’s always a dealbreaker for me.

Still love my galaxy note, the stylus makes it so useful, but probably a bit big for the OP 🙂

GrahamS

So in terms of influencing my purchase choice I’d choose an iPhone, Android or a.n.other device based on their relative merits, the availability of after-market accessories and assorted tat is fairly low on my list of priorities.

Fair enough, but the same “popularity” logic applies to software too.

iPhone = huge user base willing to spend cash + only 2 resolutions and a couple of models to support = lots of apps

Android = even bigger user base, but slightly less willing to spend cash + myriad of resolutions & models = lots of apps (historically slightly lower quality, though I think that is changing).

Nokia, Blackberry, Palm etc = small user bases + lots of models = death

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I don’t really understand why people would pay a premium for a sleek, slim device and then immediately double its size with some cheap rubberised cover

Because beautiful as it is, an iPhone 4(S) without a cover is as slippery as a bar of soap in the hand. It’s my biggest criticism and it’s such a shame that my nice phone is hidden away.

Aus
    Free Member

thanks all. Seems that they’re tougher than they look

GrahamS

They are certainly not “Defy tough”, but plenty tough enough for every day use.

If you’re worried/clumsy then add a screen protector (couple of quid and invisible if applied well) and a minimal bumper case.

jota180
    Free Member

Whilst the iPhone gurus are here

My old 3GS from work doesn’t need to be returned. So one of the kids would like it for a ‘party’ phone but it’ll need unlocking.
    It was on O2 business contract but that’s now gone and we’ve moved to BT for the new phones.

I take it that as it isn’t any longer on an O2 contract or PAYG, jailbreaking is the only way forward?

GrahamS

If it is locked to O2 then they will unlock it free of charge AFAIK.

http://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Hand

jota180
    Free Member

They were non committal when I tried the live chat

The phone [or O2] aren’t associated with the number any more and I’m not the account holder

Cougar

I don’t think jailbreaking will remove the carrier lock (could be wrong, I’m no iDevice expert).

Might be worth a separate thread rather than a hijack of someone else’s?

jota180
    Free Member

Might be worth a separate thread rather than a hijack of someone else’s?

maybe, it seemed to have digressed a bit anyway 🙂

Cougar

Fair enough, but the same “popularity” logic applies to software too.

Sure. But from an app perspective, there’s very little to separate the two these days. I very rarely if ever find something that one can do that the other can’t, although some devs do seem to favour releasing their iPhone app ahead of the Android version.

GrahamS

Cougar: agreed, but I started down this “popular=good” argument not as an “iphone vs Android” jib, but in response to tumnurkoz suggesting iPhones weren’t niche enough and he preferred his Nokia N9.

Aus
    Free Member

again, thanks all. No intention of trying to start a ‘Apple vs Android’ war!

igrf
    Free Member

Been an Apple evangelist since 1987 and the old Mac Classic & 2 cx, got the first iPod, even have a Newton rotting somewhere in a draw, I loved it back then when we were the rebel alliance against Bill Gates death star.

But now, I hate it everyone has them and blame the iPod and iPhone, so does the bread knife so i got her what ‘they’ the technical phone elite are proclaiming as ‘the best’ phone on the market right now, some HTC affair.

Took me ages just to work out how to make a frikking phone call and as to syncing with her contacts, forget it.. It doesn’t hook up to iTunes, (I thought they’d let even the PC rabble have iTunes now), so no, in our world the iPhone still rules, frankly I’d hate to live without it now, it’s a weather forecaster, tells me how windy it is, I strava with it on the sea as well as the land, it doubles as a sat nav if I’m lost, if I don’t know something I ask it, it wakes me up in the morning, plays me the radio or iTunes, plays movies, has all my family pictures, and vids of stuff I get to see in my travels, connects me with Facebook and twatter if I want, is a calculator and a camera, is a compass, a torch, a hard drive, a piano, a tide watch, and a notepad, it really is the wonder of the age, not saying android doesn’t do the same but if it does, it’s so geeky like everything else PC, I can’t be asked to find out how…

Now if only they’d fit a bottle opener..

GrahamS

it’s a weather forecaster, tells me how windy it is, I strava with it on the sea as well as the land, it doubles as a sat nav if I’m lost, if I don’t know something I ask it, it wakes me up in the morning, plays me the radio or iTunes, plays movies, has all my family pictures, and vids of stuff I get to see in my travels, connects me with Facebook and twatter if I want, is a calculator and a camera, is a compass, a torch, a hard drive, a piano, a tide watch, and a notepad, it really is the wonder of the age

You are CountZero’s alternative log in and I claim my five pounds 😀

scuzz
    Free Member

I don’t mean to be rude, but,

it’s a… piano

What the I don’t even…

GrahamS

ooOOoo
    Free Member

a tiny lil piano for tiny girl hands

Cougar

for tiny girl hands

You’ve got me, that’s an accessory you can’t get for Android.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Convince me an iPhone is an upgrade?!’ is closed to new replies.