Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Converting to 2×9
  • leythervegas
    Free Member

Hi, question from an idiot here – I never use my big ring and I’m thinking of taking it off, will I need to adjust any thing else or do I just simply unscrew it and remove??? It’s currently a 3 x 9 setup

organic355
    Free Member

you will need to adjust the limits on your front mech

and if a 44-32-22 chainset, you may want to considerm changing the 32 to something like a 39 and the 22 to a 26 once they wear out.

You can probably take a few links out of your chain to to save some weight, chain slack.

once the 44 is off, put the chain on big-big (the 32 and the granny ring at back) without putting chain through the rear mech, chain should be long enough to go big-big + 2 links, get rid of the rest.

EDIT: as below, you will have an extra “click” on your front shifter, but nothing to worry about, Ive got a 2 x 9 set up with X0 3 speed shifters up front.

gmandavison
    Free Member

You can get specific shifters and derailers so imagine you will need to take into account shidting up front. You can also replace the ring with a bash guard which can save your teeth from damage. As for gearing I believe (could be wrong) that the gearing is different for cranks specific for a 2x set up.

perthmtb
    Free Member

1. You may need shorter chainring bolts unless you put a bash ring in place of the big ring.

2. You should wind in the “HI” screw on your FD mech so you don’t accidentally try and change up into a big ring that’s not there anymore.

3. Once you’re sure you’re not going to put the big ring back on, you may want to shorten the chain a bit.

4. The rest is optional, but if you find you like 2×9 and want to optimise you’re setup, you could think about a double specific FD, medium cage RD, and a bigger ‘middle’ ring so you don’t spin out on downhills.

leythervegas
    Free Member

Wow. More work than I thought! Cheers for the advice, will get stuck in tonight. Like the idea of shortening chain to save weight, will keep the shifters up front if I can to save cost. Just wanted a cheap way of lightening my bike and making it a bit cleaner looking.

rocketman
    Free Member

do I just simply unscrew it and remove

Yup just take it off and fit a lightweight bashguard instead

No need for shorter bolts and no need to adjust the front shifter the chain won’t shift onto a bashguard

organic355
    Free Member

is the bash guard really needed? Ive got a specific 2 x 10 chainset which doesnt have a bashguard. And my triple before didnt have a bashguard.

Often wondered why everyone seems to fit a bash, when converting a triple to a double?

perthmtb
    Free Member

Two reasons…

1. Looks nicer 🙂

2. If you’re into the gnarly stuff it saves your chainring teeth.

By the battered appearance of my bash I’d say its saved me a few times, but if you’re not in the habit of riding over logs & rocks, then no, you don’t really need a bash, and Shimano seem to have come to this conclusion as none of their 2013 doubles fit a bash!

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I think 2×9 setups sans bash are aimed toward XC racing, fitting a bash gives you the safety to be able to ride over stuff that might have had you off the bike carrying otherwise.

No need to change mechs etc. Just shorten chain and adjust the h screw on the front mech!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Converting to 2×9’ is closed to new replies.