Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Converting to 2*10 – front mech quandry
  • gwaelod
    Free Member

Ok going to 2*10 from current 3*10 – although currently running a shimano 9sp chainset.

Chainset is gonna get a bashring instead of a big ring, but it’s time to get a new front mech as it’s an old sloppy one. So – do I get a 2*10 or a 3*10 front mech. I have SLX shifters with a switchable 2/3*10 setting, but will a 2*10 front derailleur be lined up wrongly on what will still be a triple chainset?

unovolo
    Free Member

Slightly different set up than you whereas I got some 2×10 specific cranks but kept my 3×10 shifter and front derailleur.

I just reset the front derailleur up for the chainset(ring sizes different) and wound in the High screw to prevent overshifting.

Worked fine for over 12months until the cranks separated from the spindle.

I’d imagine the selector on the SLX shifters just locks out the 3rd shift position rather than changing the pull/spacing.

z1ppy

Seems to be some confusion as to whether a specific dual chainset with different spacing exists when it come to these threads… in your case unless the 2×10 front mech is significantly cheaper than a 3×10, I don’t see the point. Just buy the 3×10 mech, & use the shifter switch (read the destructions on how to engage it or risk breaking it)… that’s what I’ve just done.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gwaelod
    Free Member

Ta both

3*10 mech it is then

perthmtb
    Free Member

For a contrary opinion…
    Yes the 2x mech will be fine with a 3x crankset, as there’s enough adjustability in the Hi and Lo screws to cover a few mm of chainline difference.
    If the question was whether you should stick with the old 3x mech, then I’d say yes. But as you say that’s going to be binned anyway and you’ll be buying a new one, then might as well go for the 2x IMO (assuming you’re not thinking of going back to 3X anytime soon). They just look so much more tidy as they have a smaller cage, have slightly better chain retention (for the same reason), and you don’t get into all the faffing about what height to set it at (biggest reason for people using 3x FD on a double having shifting issues).

gwaelod
    Free Member

Oh lordy….that’s put the cat among the pigeons!!

I might have to go single ring up front.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Converting to 2*10 – front mech quandry’ is closed to new replies.