• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by kcal.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Converting stone outbuildings.
  • twinw4ll
    Free Member

We’re currently in the process of buying a property with a few stone out buildings which i would like to convert into a holiday let.
    Planning in the area does support these kind of projects.
    My main concern is how to insulate and construct inner walls, the stone walls are about 2ft thick but are sort of dry stone walls with the odd dash of mortar, i was thinking treat it like a loft conversion with 50mm air gap studding, insulation then vapour barrier.
    It is not possible to externally insulate.
    Any ideas or suggestions welcome.

BigJohn

A nearly-original rustic stone cottage will have it’s own attraction to many people in summer months.

Insulating it will extend the letting season.

It’s then an exercise in calculating the value of the extra rentals versus the costs of doing the job. Bearing in mind, if you do it properly you might miss most of next year.

aP
    Free Member

Have you thought about approaching an architect?
    You’ll need to insulate top and bottom as well as side to side. And think about how the rooms inside relate to any openings in the existing walls.

ffej
    Free Member

You can get plasterboard with a bonded insulation layer on the back in various thicknesses. Onto either an independent stud system if the walls are really wonk or on to alu channels / fixed to the wall. Integrated vapour control layer. Look on the british gypsum website for details.
    I’ve specified it for barn conversion type projects before with success.

Jeff

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Cheers all, i’m pretty well versed in general construction, Jeff your suggestions with the alu channels is something i’ll look into.

kcal

we ‘converted’ an old outbuilding – washhouse and attached storage – just for a bike shed and office, a lot of insulation went into it as we spec’d for habitable standard. So think floor, walls (a lot) and roof space too.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Converting stone outbuildings.’ is closed to new replies.