• This topic has 8 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by JoB.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Converting my crosser to 1X10
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Using all the existing running gear.

I only use the 36t when racing (weedy) Any advantage to removing the outer and fitting either a double guard or catcher?
    The space between rings has become a mud trap.

I know that the old bikes used a double guard affair. So any advice recommendations.

JoB
    Free Member

have you considered a thick/thin chainring?

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’ve been running this for 3 seasons now (with rear mach cage spring tension increased)

But I’ve got a 40t hope thick/thin coming so will lose the outer guide.

oldgit
    Free Member

Never knew they existed. Look very interesting.
    Feedback asap please.

oldgit
    Free Member

Is that a fang?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Aye…if you are of the financially unforthcoming persuasion you can make one out of a reflector bracket.
    And the outer guard is just a 42t ring with the teeth ground off.

oldgit
    Free Member

Now you’re talking my language.

Rorschach
    Free Member

My bike is such a bodge.Mis-matched tyres,mtb mech,odd levers/shifters,weird handlebars (bell Laps),50mm tubs.I’ve only just ditched the ancient canti’s for some blingy Avid Shorty Ultimates.The frames all dented to buggery (and we’ll gloss over the asymmetric bb shell!)
    I get some right funny looks at races (although that could just be the beard!)

JoB
    Free Member

thick/thin chainrings have been A Thing in mountainbiking for a while now since wide ranging cassettes mean you can get a decent gear spread allowing you to ditch spare chainrings

combined with a highly-sprung clutch rear mech they mean you don’t need any guides or catchers to keep the chain on

this has moved over to CX (see the SRAM CX1) with a collection of thick/thin CX ready rings available from different manufacturers

been running a ROTOR wonky thick/thin ring on a baggy old 9spd system and since i’ve started using a 10spd chain on it it’s worked well, although at last week’s incredibly muddy race it dropped the chain several times thanks to the overloading of mud on the ring and in the mech making the chain all baggy

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Converting my crosser to 1X10’ is closed to new replies.