Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Converting Kona Jake the Snake to disc
  • paddyplumb
    Free Member

Hello all,

Was thinking about converting my Kona Jake the Snake into a disc specific commuter and was wondering if anyone out there had done this already?

I'd like to know all the details, including how or where you got the disc mount welded onto the frame and any respray work, as well as choice of fork, brakes and hubs.

Would be a shame not to make use of this frame sat in my shed.

Hoping someone can enlighten me.

Thanks

ken_shields
    Free Member

My Major Jake with BB7 road discs, mind you mine came with a disc mount already fitted

I've got XT hubs with centrelock 160mm discs

Or with flat bars

paddyplumb
    Free Member

Hi Ken,

Sent a pm to your e-mail address.

Sorry for all the questions, but:

Who brazed on the disc mount

What fork did you choose?

What brakes are you running?

What rim/spoke combo did you choose?

Thanks

Del

Dillon,
    from what he said in his response, the frame came with disc tabs already. those are avid bb7 brakes in the pic ( i'd expect the road version ).
    if you don't have disc tabs then you could try the a2z adaptor, but TBH i'd just flog it and buy another one.

ken_shields
    Free Member

Del is correct, BB7 road disc brakes and the forks are Kinesis DC19 disc only carbon

Rims are Mavic Open sport and the spokes are straight DT Swiss stainless and the hubs are XT centre lock

I'd agree with Del about flogging and getting another frame with disc mounts as I don't think that an a2z adaptor will fit round the dropouts

Hope this helps

martinb
    Free Member

I've got a kona P2 700c disc only fork on mine, not light but bombproof, with a road BB7. Old canti on the back. Works well.

nunuboogie
    Free Member

Dillon I had an a2z adaptor somewhere if you find you need one, brought a while back but wouldn't fit my hub.

paddyplumb
    Free Member

Cheers folks,

Not the cheap fix that I'd hoped for. Think I'll just cut my loses and get rid of it.

Looks like the Explosif will just have to carry on with my commuting duties.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Converting Kona Jake the Snake to disc’ is closed to new replies.