Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Converting full length outer to split outer? (inbred)
  • Olly
    Free Member

The new inbreds are setup for full length cable runs. (basic tubes brazed on to support full outers)

does anyone make a ferrule to go on the cable outer ends, with a lip, which allows you to use said setup with a broken cable run?

ta 🙂

spock
    Free Member

Why on earth would you want to?

warpcow
    Free Member

You can’t argue with Spock’s logic.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Spock, there would be the usual argument about compression of a long length of spiral-wound wire outer versus the better sealing it affords. Sidestepped neatly by gore or goodridge cable sets which use the cable stops on your frame and seal the inbetweeny bits with a slim plastic hose, theoretically giving you the best of both worlds. Provided it is well installed. I can’t say my goodrige set has really made it that much better.

I have also heard on here (but never seen) that a rear mech snapped off and tangled in back wheel at speed will pull the bars round if it is connected by full outer.

And no i don’t think anyone makes a widget to put cable stops in. (though you can get thingys that do it the other way round. You could get them welded on if you are really that bothered. Personally on a bike with no cable stops I would go full nice quality outer with 1:1 cable pull shifting (ie sram or 10-speed shimano).

racing_ralph
    Free Member

yes they do – like a top hat. My Prophet had them on the down tube. Any cannondale dealer will have em

mamadirt
    Free Member

Make sure they fit though. I was about to reply saying that I had a load of them in my toolbox (for fitting v brakes or cable discs to slotted disc hose guides), but I checked and they don’t fit the guides on my Inbred – too big 🙁 .

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Try an old skool lbs for the widgets. I have a couple in my spares box from years ago

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Converting full length outer to split outer? (inbred)’ is closed to new replies.