Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Converting Front DT Swiss 240s Hubs?
  • fathomer

I know there are quite a few people on here that use 240’s so hopefully someone will know.

Am I right in saying that if I want to use a 15mm thru axle, I need to make sure I buy the oversize version, like this?

The normal QR version that’s generally cheaper, like this, can only be converted to 9mm thru.

Please put my mind at rest, thanks 😀

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I thought you only needed the OS version if you wanted 20mm convertibility.

IIRC the others are comparable between QR, 10mm & 15mm.

otsdr
    Free Member

According to this chart, fathomer is correct in his assumption:
    https://www.dtswiss.com/Resources/Support/TECH-SPECS/End-cap-solution-front.pdf

jimw
    Free Member

I think the OP is correct. You can buy 15mm conversion axles and bearings for the ‘standard’ hub, but they come from the US and run smaller dia ball bearings to allow the revised axle to fit in and may not last well

Northwind

Exactly that- only the very old ones are QR only. Standard is QR and 15mm, OS is QR 15 and 20mm. (and yep, there are kits available to convert even the ancient ones)

DT ironically can be tricky to buy used, because they last forever, so there’s lots of old ones out there.

otsdr
    Free Member

Gee whiz, only 110 canadian bucks!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

DT ironically can be tricky to buy used

however if you do find some on eBay the resale value is terrible compared to the retail price

yorkycsl
    Free Member

I recently bought a new set of 240s hubs of ebay, felt like I stole them, 142×12 and 15mm front all for the price of a front hub with XD driver bargain & I really rate them, just had some 3mm spacers sorted for the boost thing but may have some full length ones machines up soon.

The hubs roll incredibly smooth & fast, also have them (re badged) on a set of Roval Fattie SL carbon wheels & they are fantastic.

Northwind

dirtyrider – Member

however if you do find some on eBay the resale value is terrible compared to the retail price

Yup. I’d never buy new ones but buying used (or used wheelsets) works really well. Hence my personal campaign of destruction against EX1750 wheelsets 😆

fathomer

Thanks everyone.

So the QR versions are convertible but only with a 3rd party kit from the States?

I’m hoping to pick some up second hand as there bloody expensive. If I can’t by the time I need them I’ll have to settle for the 350’s.

stevied
    Free Member

350’s are really good. Very happy with mine. Got a front, 20mm, for just over £40 from CRC, rear was from bike-discount.

swanny853

Does anyone know if you can convert a 350 front hub using 240 innards? I.e. are the bearings the same id and distance apart, so you could turn a 350 from 15mm to qr if you really needed to?

notfastenough
    Free Member

I’ve been running a 240s qr converted to 15mm using the T-A aftermarket kit for a couple of years. Was easy to fit and seems to be lasting just as well as a normal hub. On ebay for $34 plus shipping (seller is sellution components) – you need to source some good bearings, but that’s easy.

Del

Don’t waste your money on ‘fancy’ front hubs, unless you really expect to move between standards. Their stickers aren’t even the right way around, and the bearings i had on my 240 front lasted 5 minutes. I have 2.59 bearings in there now and they’re great.

eshershore
    Free Member

@swanny853

I had a good look at DT 240 and 350 last year after my “stout” rear hub failed.

I settled on 350 for the rear as it was a marginally heavier version of 240 using same internals, but considerably cheaper and also could be converted

however, if i remember correctly, the 350 front hub seemed to have limited conversion (my fork has Q/R dropouts but with the OS28 / 9mm DT thru axle), and I figured I’d need a 240 for the front wheel once the original hub dies?

mayan
    Free Member

I’ve just been through this, and its confusing.
    The DT Swiss 240 “fifteen” centreloc disc front hub comes as standard QR but can be converted to a 15mm bolt through using end caps (DT swiss Part no. HWGXXX0002149S) The standard QR end caps pull off and the new ones push in.

I think this is the only disc brake QR version you can convert to 15mm…the 6 bolt version wont and if it doesnt say “fifteen” on the hub then it wont either.

Hope this helps, I spent quite a while trying to get clarification, there’s a lot of conflicting information out there.

adsh
    Free Member

Does anyone know if you can convert a 350 front hub using 240 innards? I.e. are the bearings the same id and distance apart, so you could turn a 350 from 15mm to qr if you really needed to?

No you can’t but luckily there is no need to.

Nukeproof do a generic 15mm to QR adaptor and I can tell you from my own experience it works on a 15mm DT350 hub – I’ve ridden one for the last 3 months.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nukeproof-conversion-kit-15mm-to-qr/rp-prod80192

Northwind

mayan – Member

I think this is the only disc brake QR version you can convert to 15mm…the 6 bolt version won’t

Yup but generally now if you get a “QR” front hub it’ll be a QR/15 with an adaptor.

fathomer

Again, thanks everyone.

Think I’m going to go for a second hand rear 240 and a new 15mm thru 350. Then get some stickers done so they match, looks like Slik go them.

Anyone care to let me know what a good price for a rear 240 is?

Weight saving of the rear 240, cheapness of the front 350!

otsdr
    Free Member

350 sticker for the rear, right :P?

fathomer

Nah, a 240 sticker but in black n white! Like this:

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Converting Front DT Swiss 240s Hubs?’ is closed to new replies.